HybridZ

Custom catchcans for S30's

I had a friend make up a custom catch can for my 240z, and hes looking to make more. Just wondering if there is any interest for these catchcans. They are made of aluminum and full tig welded construction. He can make them to fit either NPT or AN fittings. They are made to specifically fit the s30 inner fender.

Here is a picture of what they look like. I will get a closeup picture tomorow.

I am using it with an RB but it can be universal to any engine.

For those who dont know a catchcan traps oil vapours from your crankcase and catchs them preventing oil vapours/sludge contamination onto your engine bay. A much more elegant approach then using KN filters on your valve covers.

(please note the lines running on the valve cover are not finished this was just to demonstrate what it looks like.

IMG_0935.jpg

IMG_0569_001.jpg

no drain on the can? also don't you usually have the inlet from the valve cover into the can, and then a line from the can to the intake, before the turbo?

at least that's how i usually see them set up.

other than that it looks like a quality product, i can't imagine it'd be a cheap part.

no drain on the can? also don't you usually have the inlet from the valve cover into the can, and then a line from the can to the intake, before the turbo?

at least that's how i usually see them set up.

other than that it looks like a quality product, i can't imagine it'd be a cheap part.

The drain was added afterwards.

I see no reason why you would want to suck the oil vapours back into your intake and contaminate the charge pipes/turbos. The two 3/4" lines are more than adequate for venting the crankcase into the atmosphere, and if I wanted to create some sort of suction I would have probably ditched the filter and had a line running into the exhaust/downpipe with a slashcut.

Either way part of the goal with a catchcan is to ventilate oil vapours/sludge in a fashion that doesnt introduce contamination back into your intake tract. Elimination of the PCV valve is another part. That stuff does not belong in there and the oil causes detonation, dirty throttle bodies, dirty compressor wheels, and dirty intake manifolds.

You could also spend months figuring out whats the best way to ventilate your crankcase but I find venting into the atmosphere with at least two 3/4" or so lines is more than adequate.

The purpose would be to eliminate the PCV valve and have a catchcan with larger lines to ventilate the vapours/contaminates into a "catch" can that catches all this wonderfull stuff. It can then be drained every now and then.

The baffles in your L series valvecover (I have yet to see an engine without baffles) would do a good job of preventing oil from enterin gthe catchcan, or in th ecase of a stock setup, into your intake manifold.

On a L series I would probably run a AN fitting from the valvecover and side of the block into the catchcan.

The purpose would be to eliminate the PCV valve and have a catchcan with larger lines to ventilate the vapours/contaminates into a "catch" can that catches all this wonderfull stuff. It can then be drained every now and then.

The baffles in your L series valvecover (I have yet to see an engine without baffles) would do a good job of preventing oil from enterin gthe catchcan, or in th ecase of a stock setup, into your intake manifold.

On a L series I would probably run a AN fitting from the valvecover and side of the block into the catchcan.

Why would you keep an empty can? Why not just buy two K&N filters one for the valve cover and one for the crankcase?

Why would you keep an empty can? Why not just buy two K&N filters one for the valve cover and one for the crankcase?

Rules imposed by certain sanctioning bodies require a catch can. That'd be the only reason. Other than the "bling" factor....

HP engines (hi booste) have more blow by and therefore req one. and will start actually dripping oil out of those filters that everyone like to put on their valve covers. oil dripping on a hot exhaust is not good.

I like the way it looks i'd be interested.

Correct.......... I ran a K&N and was contantly wiping down oil from the inside of my hood. From first hand experience that stock baffle is not enough! If you run them hard oil will get by and make a mess.

And a little bit of blng is cool! :mrgreen:

I may be interested, looks great, well thought out. Looks like it belongs there!

Rules imposed by certain sanctioning bodies require a catch can. That'd be the only reason. Other than the "bling" factor....

the whole purpose to this is to keep the engine and engine bay clean, while not spitting bad air and gasses as well as sludge back into your engine, getting a cleaner burn and such. Honestly, If you can weld, even if its steel, which will be much heavier, its not hard to make something simple like this. I need to practice TIG, but im 16, I can MIG and Stick weld. Can sorta TIG but im not really great at it. I am going to make my own when I get to the whole catch can. But this one is very nice and clean, and will be easier for people who don't have the time, know how, or want, to make their own can.

• 2 weeks later...