HybridZ

Anybody ever had the fire department called to their place before?

MatMan

Had an exciting morning.

I mowed my lower pasture because it had been 3 weeks since the last time and it was getting pretty shabby. It had also been about two months since I mowed the bit of weeds behind my barn (ca. 1890) and I wanted to make sure that this especially dry summer didn't take it's toll on the barn.

I was about 10 minutes into a maybe 300X140 foot uphill slope parcel behind the barn when it felt like the mower was running especially HOT. I first do a look-see around the sides of the riding mower I am on, find nothing, then look off to the side and I see a wall of flame:eek:, about 6 ft wide, and about 10 ft tall! Luckily, it was on the far side of where the barn sits, but I knew I had to try to get that fire out!

Even before Grumpy posted about keeping fire extinguishers in your workplace, I had a pair stashed in the barn (now needing a recharge). Those did NOTHING. CRAP! I ran down and unhooked my 1/2" irrigation line, and dragged it back the the fire where I called out to my neighbors "FIRE FIRE, GET SOME WATER OVER HERE!"

About what seemed 5 minutes later, 3 guys strolled out... and watched. I succeeded in getting the uphill side abated, and turned my attention to the bottom side that seemed to be whipping up...

One guy was holding a motorcycle helmet and actually said, and I quote, "What the F@#&! are you doing?" to which I calmly replied, "I'm putting out a fire, I would appreciate some help" He just watched.

The other two finally pulled their thumbs out of their asses and at least gave a try. That was when the uphill side decided to rekindle, and, being pushed by the slight winds up the hill, took off. There was no way I could keep up with my little 1/2" line.

CalFire was called, and the convict ground crew showed up but not before the spotter and tanker planes started dumping retardant. They were there QUICK and got the fire out in less than 1/2 hour. Maybe 2 acres total burned. No structures, the barn is safe. I owe the inept neighbor a hose for his horse waterer and a battery/station for the electric horse fence.

Now here is my real question: The fire chief told me that I was following the rules with having the extinguishers and water near, as well as mowing before 10AM, my mower also checked out safety-wise, so I would not be cited, BUT the investigator told me that while all that is fine, I would still get a bill for fly time and retardant drops. ANYONE know what THAT will set me back, and will homeowner's insurance cover it????

Exciting morning.:icon4:

[edit] I learned today that dry chemical extinguishers aer NO GOOD when it comes to grass fires. They do cool the blaze down a bit, but after it dissipates, the flame takes off.[/edit]

One of my friends who lives down the street from me lit his kitchen on fire, at which time he sprinted the 1 block to the fire dept. to tell them his kitchen was on fire... It took us 10 minutes with a fire raging to convince them there really was a fire and he wasn't drunk. That said, hourly rate on a turbine helo OR a big multi is in the 100's of dollars depending on the unit, so that alone could be a few hundred alone :eek: but I don't see why homeowner's shouldn't cover it if not the fact that you were within all laws and codes should help.

Sorry about the hard morning... Glad everyone was ok and there was minimal damage.

He he, The fire Captain had me believing all liability would be covered, but that was just for the ground-crew call out, according to the fire investigator, fly time and drops are on the call-ee.

I really thought that my property taxes, on top of all the other taxes I pay would cover this kind of thing. I do have 1 mil umbrella, I guess I need to pull out the policy and start reading.

Buzz (Mike) and I went to look at his current Z which was for sale in an apartment building basement in the Bronx. We poured in two gallons of fresh gas to get it started and all the gas poured right out the bottom of the tank and flooded down the floor of the parking garage. Residents smelling the gasoline began to evacuate the building and soon, a couple of blaring firetrucks came to the scene and took over the site. We were a little bit embarassed but eventually we got the Z started and Mike bought it. Ooops!

Funny story!

Good news!

The battalion chief just stopped by to let us know that he had a long discussion with the CalFire investigator regarding the facts of the fire. Apparently Mike (the Bat. Chief) was under the impression (thanfully for me) that there was no direct evidence that my machine started the fire, and that the amount of resources used (5 stations and 3 birds dropping 5 loads) was excessive for a (his words) one acre fire.

While the argument still could be made that if I weren't there, no fire would have happened, the fact remains that my intent and precautions (fire extinguishers and water available as well as the time of day of operation) alleviates me from being held liable. Another factor that was spoken about was the fact that I always keep my property (a bit over 3 acres) well-groomed, and this was the very first time ANY emergency-type department has ever been called to my place.....ever in my life.

I didn't even have to mention that we donate to the CDF (California Department of Forestry) fire department every year! They are going to get a good donation this year!

PHEW!

Bah, nobody was called for that, either. After I put that out, I was forced to sit on the couch for an hour to make sure it didn't flame back up, that's all...All the while, my little sis was parading the neighborhood kids through our living room giving the tour-speach, "And here's where my brother just tried to burn our house down!"

Yes, that's YOUR wife I am talking about!!!

Like 2 years of me burning stuff in a barrel in my backyard, blowing stuff up, smoke bombs, burning a loung chair, etc. One time my dad burns some stuff in the barrel and the neighbors called the fire department. Obviously burning is illegal in city limits so he was going to give him a $550 ticket but didnt.

I was a Fire/911/EMS dispatcher for about 2 years. I've never really been a fan of CDF and the investigator is probably just mad he got called out on a small fire. On another note, grass fires in CA are heavily dispatched too. It seems like your area (lots of land regulations, etc.) is a high hazard area. AKA wildland risk threat. What you don't realize is how quickly grass can burn, if a fire is let run wild it DOUBLES in size every 30 seconds. With that said, most standard wildland/high risk areas automatically get Air support dispatched and a whole slew of other equipment. IIRC for Kern County its

3 Engines (water holders)

6 Patrols (the small guys typically 4x4's or Full size pickups)

2 Hand Crews (line digger/shoveler about 17-20 guys)

1 Helicopter + Crew

2 Battalion Chiefs

1 Dozer

1 Air Plane if available.

This is a STANDARD first alarm wildland response for any "grass fire" even if its only 2x2 ft in one of those areas. Second alarms are double all the units, 3rd etc. It will eat a fire departments resources in minutes and you'll have so many units trying to talk, so many people trying to handle the situation. All that said, if it was closer than 10ft to ANY structure, it automatically bumps it to reinforced alarm. AKA 1st alarm + 2 more Engines and another patrol. Counties like LA, or Santa Barbara, San Luis, etc. All dispatch more units that we did to similar fires. Overkill for a lot of fires, but on the same token, its the one you understimate that costs all $$$. Don't sweat the CDF guy, especially if you aren't in his "jurisdiction." I.E. Greenwood FD is you nearest fire station etc. And you won't "pay for it" unless there's a lot of evidence that you maliciously set it. Glad everything turned out okay and there wasn't a whole lot of damage.

Heh. I hear you, dr_hunt.

Next time, I spray down the area I am mowing with the hose before I start... lesson learned.

The rule is that you have to mow before 10am. I started about 8:30, which would get me behind the barn somewhere around 9:15/9:30. It was still about 90* then.