Turbo size... Does it matter?

BRAAP

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's called a detroit diesel 2 stroke.

God help you.

I realize it works the same way, but that's not what I mean.

I mean, build an engine, that is essentially the EXACT same as the full sized, just shrunk down to something that fits on a desktop. Much like people have done with many different engines already.

And by exactly, i do mean ladders, walkways, and everything

If you want an interesting scale model, get one of a Deltic Engine.

The MANN is having issues, their service is sucking. Even Sulzer has issues once and a while--there have been issues with axial deflection and vibrations in the third order at two 120,000 HP machines they installed down in Baja Mexico to power La Paz in an island mode power grid system. The answer to keep them together till the primary gas turbines were back up were to load the hell out of them. By the time the turbines were back on line, the rotor bars in the generators were flaking out!

Don't even ask how I know that...

And MAG is right, it's a Two-Stroke. Heavy Oil Burner. But again, if you want a neat model, get one of the Deltic Engine. Much more interesting!

The MANN is having issues, their service is sucking. Even Sulzer has issues once and a while--there have been issues with axial deflection and vibrations in the third order at two 120,000 HP machines they installed down in Baja Mexico to power La Paz in an island mode power grid system. The answer to keep them together till the primary gas turbines were back up were to load the hell out of them. By the time the turbines were back on line, the rotor bars in the generators were flaking out!

Don't even ask how I know that...

And MAG is right, it's a Two-Stroke. Heavy Oil Burner. But again, if you want a neat model, get one of the Deltic Engine. Much more interesting!

Very true! 3 cranks and pistons flying head on towards each other is way cooler.

• Administrators

Scale Deltic, you say? Took these at the 2001 PRIME show in Eugene. 18 cylinders, and 3 cranks...

P9220051.jpg

P9220054.jpg

PP9220048.jpg

P9220052.jpg

PP9220049.jpg

P9220097.jpg

Forgive me for the thread jack... it's Tony's fault :mrgreen: