HybridZ

Turbo Round 2

Okay fellas! Most of you know that I had previously had a turbo set up on the car. I was very dis pleased with it, got frustrated and removed it. I'm still glad that I did, because it ran MUCH better N/A then it did with the turbo. Well... the urge has hit me again, but this time I'm doing it a bit differently. For starters, I am re using the same exhaust manifolds but changing the 2 bolt flanges over to V band. For those who don't remember what the manifolds looked like, here is a memory refresher!

DSCN1344.JPG

I am also re using the same turbo. ( Ebay GT45 china turbo ) I have changed just about everything else that involves the turbo. my old Blow off valve set up - 2, 1st gen. eclipse turbo blow off valves did not work as well as I wanted them too. Every time the car was reved, shifted, or RPM's dropped the valves would open up and make a Hee haw noise. Hard to explain! This is what the old Blow off valve set up looked like.

DSCN1436.JPG

This time around I am using a Tial blow off valve, MUCH MUCH nicer I must say. Last time for a wastegate I used an Ebay 60mm wastegate. And guess what? I wasn't happy with that one either! The valve never sealed 100% so I was driving around with a permanent exhaust leak. Resulting in slower spool up time, and a false signal to my o2 sensors. This time around I am using 2, 38mm Tial V band wastegates. One mounted on each bank.

New stuff: BLING!

DSCN1682.JPG

The cross over section has been changed as well. Originally I used some very thin 2.5" Stainless for this piece. I always had a fear of it being a little too thin, so I decided to change this section to 2.25" Schedule 10 Stainless with a flex section added. This is what the new cross over section looks like:

DSCN1690.JPG

DSCN1695.JPG

DSCN1693.JPG

I mounted everything up to my "spare engine" and welded it all together. I must say, it sure does make as a nice garage piece. And is a good conversation starter for all the Honeys that come over. ;)

DSCN1696.JPG

DSCN1697.JPG

It looked so awesome with out the turbo mounted, I decided to see how much more bad ass it would look with!

DSCN1698.JPG

I really forgot how big this damn thing is...

DSCN1700.JPG

OKay back on Track! Mounted up my wastegates, and welded on my flanges.

DSCN1710.JPG

So when I swapped the car back to N/A the first time. I had made a nice dual 3" exhaust with an X pipe. I really like how the exhaust turned out and did not want to get rid of it. So I thought of a way that I could have the turbo feed into the X pipe, and still exit out the mufflers. Whalla!!!

DSCN1730.JPG

It turned out pretty well i'de say! And the car is much quieter now, since its got a total of 2 mufflers, and a turbo to quiet it down. on my last set up I had a mesh screen covering the compressor inlet. This didn't provide much filtering, and allowed the turbo to suck in hot air coming off of the Driver side exhaust manifold. This time around I was determined to get some kind of cold air intake system going. Started off with making a big hole.....

DSCN1747.JPG

Had to do some serious pie cut action to get the radius's that I needed to make this thing go the direction I wanted it to.

DSCN1748.JPG

DSCN1749.JPG

Believe it or not, this actually clears the strut tube AND the wheel at lock to lock. And will clear the wheel even more so when I swap to skinnies. The filter is not the biggest one around, but I feel better having a small filter suck in cold air, then no filter sucking in hot air.

Next on the list is the fuel system, and fuel managment system. I wasn't about to run my old fuel system, which was the corvette regulator with a -6 line feeding to the front. This time around I added a -8 feed line to the front. Feeds a malory fuel pressure regulator with a boost reference vacuum port. and returns through a -6 line back to the tank.

For my fuel managment, I ditched the stock computer all together and went to a full standalone system. I chose to go with the Mega Squirt V2.1 For those of you who haven't had a chance to play around with MS, you're missing out. Its very user friendly and easy to tune. I would highly recommend it to anyone. I made a jumper harness to go between the stock GM harness, and the MS unit. So if I really wanted to, I could plug the stock PCM back into the car. ( No idea why I would want to, but yaa)

DSCN1753.JPG

Running the car in speed density is pretty sweet! And not having o2 feed back is nice too. So this brings me up to my current state. i've got the car running, Part throttle map is pretty much done being tuned. I've put over 100 miles on the car since the turbo swap and have not even felt one hicup. Seems to run pretty good! Once I can schedule some dyno I'm going to get some WOT tuning done. :) Just wanted to share with you all where I'm at with the car. Here are some pics of the final product.

DSCN1734.JPG

DSCN1735.JPG

DSCN1736.JPG

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks guy! Ya I really do like having a turbo on the car, lots of fun!

So I just took the car to the track Friday night, but have to say that I'm disappointed with the results. Granted I am only running 7 -8psi, I have run better E/T's and MPH with my N/A set up.

Best:

MPH > 98.4

E/T > 7.02

60ft. > 1.48

That is by far the best 60 foot I have ever pulled in my life. Car just did not pull hard up top like it should. AFR is mid 10's, timing it 14 - 16*. No knock, Feels strong. I don't know whats up. more boost maybe? :P

When the car was N/A I've run a 7.002 @ 100mph. And even hit 102mph.

I'll tune for mid 11's on race gas. I'm on a pump gas mix right now and want to keep things a little on the safe side, then the sorry side. Back in the DSM days I would shoot for 11:1 on pump and mid - high 11's on race gas. Something is still not right though, I've trapped 102mph in the 1/8th on my N/A set up. 4mph less with a turbo don't seem right.

My engine always likes a lot of timing. Race fuel also requires more timing in my experience. All engines are different but I would suggest inreasing the timing, little by little, until she blows up!

NOW you're talkin! I was thinking about turning up the boost a little. And keep putting timing in it until I start seeing knock. As of now, I'm not getting any knock under WOT.

What CR are you running? and how much timing / boost? What AFR at WOT ?