HybridZ

1979 280zx JUST FINISHED!!!!

dazd5255

OK you've all heard the stories: Barn find etc. Well here's mine: This 1979 Z was purchased new (one owner) 30,000 ORIGINAL MILES. She (my aunt) became too old to get into it (82 years) and gave it to me. My first attempt @ a 280zx....what do ya think!!??

Datsun 036_thumb.jpg

DATSUN_thumb.jpg

Edited by dazd5255
Adding more pictures

I've added the "before" picture. The car was low mileage, but suffered the usual rust spots for a Z. I did the body/paint myself. The motor is stock.....I'd like some ideas on improving the performance. Can a turbo be added to the "standard" block setup?

Yes it can and i think personally it performs better, instead of the super low 7-3-1 set up you have a higher comp ratio to make up for the "out of boost" performance as well as you dont need to/cant run as much boost as you would with a turbo block. But rememeber that the bottom end isnt forged like the turbo's, there are alot of pros/cons just be safe and tune it well/meth inject it and you should be alright.

Now that ive given you a wealth of knowledge lol how much for you to paint me a car that exact color and make it look oh so sexy? =)

I've added the "before" picture. The car was low mileage, but suffered the usual rust spots for a Z. I did the body/paint myself. The motor is stock.....I'd like some ideas on improving the performance. Can a turbo be added to the "standard" block setup?

Check this out :)http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=153195

I am running a Late L28E [Flat Top pistons F54 and P79 Head] and I haven't blown a headgasket yet. I'd recommend going with a stand alone for controlling spark.

Your car looks GORGEOUS and I'd love to see a clean terbeaux swap in there!!

Did you have rust under the car in the frame rails/underbody? Did you have them replaced??

Sweet ride!! Love the wheels.

Beautiful...congrats. More pictures please. Hope you painted the door jambs, under the hood and the engine bay to make it truly complete? Rear suspension needs to be lower.

Yasin

Thanks for the compliment. The car was totally stripped before painting, I didn't want any of the original to show. Suspension is still "high" because I use the car for off-roadin' on the weekends. In Floridaw, we've combined muddin' with driftin' (mriftin'). It'll catch on soon!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Congrats i love it great job on the after and before it looks like a whole new car, I also want to paint my car but the original color mine has rust on the rear of the car where the spare wheel goes if I open that compartment I can see the floor it sucks that's the worst part but the other is the driver side fender on the very bottom and I think it'd just the fender.

My upgrades recommendations are a new clutch aftermarket I did a stage 2 spec clutch should have done a stage 3 made a big difference for me without even doing the flywheel but I do recommend it, also did the cold air intake lol does really nothing but better than stock, also did the msd blaster replaces your stock coil I can tell a small difference in responce and already had s really loud flowmaster exhaust I'm thinking of redoing soon from header all the way back if I don't do the Turbo swap soon, I was also thinking of doing that turbo on my non turbo I have 2 L28ET's one is a rebuild with rebuild turbo and the other is on my 83 turbo "donor car"