HybridZ

My latest project...a new Z!!

cygnusx1

Well, I have been trying to lay low with this, and finally cut a deal. I want to thank a member here for helping me to check out this car--->(Titus_RacerX). I settled on a deal and the car will be picked up and shipped to me next week.

It's my second Z and it's a '72 240Z. It's very solid, and comes with everything I will need to get it rolling, except the engine.

It just so happens I have a running L28, 16" Panasports, and a Poly bushing kit for the car already in my garage.

It will be my Winter project. It's going to be a simple build due to low funds at the moment. Over time it will develop into a more capable build.

Plans:

Triple Carbs, stock L28 with headers.

Cut springs with KYB or basic Tokico struts.

Sway bars

16" Panasports 225/50-16 tires

Performance pads/shoes

Original 4-speed

New Carpeting

New bushings

Basic Tear-down, paint and clean suspension and under carriage.

Strip/paint engine bay

Repair dent in drivers door.

5-point roll hoop.

Dave

Oh yeah...last but not least...PICS!

http://dcerutti.smugmug.com/Other/Future-Z/10195543_2VzbZ

:mparty:

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So far things are moving along. I hired a car moving company All Aboard Auto Movers. They are picking up the car today. BTW , Happy Veteran's Day to all you Vet's. Inside the car the PO put a spare dash in the engine bay, a roll cage in the hatch area, a four speed in the hatch, head light covers, and a spare radio panel, and spare HVAC panel. The car should be here this Friday or Saturday.

Yesterday there was some drama. I called the garage where the car is located in GA to make sure that everything is on schedule. The garage owner told me that the shipping co. had called and asked if he had a fork lift. He said that the driver wanted to stick the forks through the car and pick it up by the roof to load it onto the trailer. :o I almost fell off my chair! Immediately I called the shipping company and gave them one hell of a piece of my mind. They are well aware that this is a roller. I told them that if they don''t know how to move a car they can send my deposit right back immediately. They were real apologetic and blamed it on the driver that had been assigned the job. He did not have a winch. I played a small violin for them. I told her that if he uses a fork lift to pick up that car, he had better bring that forklift to my house or he can figure out how to get it off the truck here in NY. I WAS PISSED.

Anyhow, supposedly, it's all settled and they will roll or winch the car onto the carrier. Incompetency in the face of so called "experts" really pisses me off. Did I say, I WAS PISSED.

I began the transformation of my garage. It's a one-and-a-half car bay detached but it is full of Z parts, tools, lawn equipment, and baby stuff. I went to town this morning and re arranged everything to make room for the new 240Z. I put the L28 on wooden blocks near the back of the garage where I will degrease it, paint it, and change the majority of the engine gaskets.

Luckily, there is a HUGE oak tree directly behind the back window in the center of my garage. It's a perfect anchor to pull the car up the driveway and into the garage. The plan is to run the rope against the tree and pull it up the hill in the back with my dads Liberty. The rope will be guided by the tree, pass through the window, and down the driveway where it will hook to the Z. It should work. It better work. My road has no shoulders, so we need to get the car out of the road and up my steep driveway pretty quickly. Hopefully, the handbrake in the 240 works otherwise, if the rope lets go, I will go down the driveway across the road , and into a stone wall backwards. :?

AS SHE SAT IN GA....

702287977_iCRxy-XL.jpg

Ouch! forklift! When I was at All Z junkyard in Ft. Worth getting some rear calipers he used a forklift to pick the car up so I could take them off, then I joked if he would pick my car up like that I could put them on my car easy!! ha ha ha, he said sure, no problem:mrgreen:

Well, All Aboard came through after some hair pulling, and nerve wracking banter. They even delivered early. It arrived at 9:15pm tonight. The driver had called and told me where he was, so I knew he was coming. I ran to home depot to buy a bunch of rope to rig up a system for pulling the car up my driveway, and into the garage. We used 300 feet of 250lb test rope, doubled up. I hooked it to my dads Jeep Liberty, wrapped it around a tree as a guide pulley, fished it through the rear garage window, and down the driveway. We tested it tonight and it worked flawlessly. Technically, I drove her for the first time tonight under rope power.

This car is STRAIGHT except for the door dent which I can deal with. All the lines are dead on, the paint is perfect for a DD, rust is missing? Even under it's paint, there is no hidden rust detectable. Underneath is the cleanest Z I have ever seen.

Pics of course.

711702647_nojgq-XL.jpg

711702358_LUwBZ-XL.jpg

711703165_Um7Nr-XL.jpg

711703324_kUxrA-XL.jpg

711704746_F5Mbg-XL.jpg

711704529_YNK2Q-XL.jpg

711705595_XqBcH-XL.jpg

711704980_QLQ4z-XL.jpg

711705367_wFEXq-XL.jpg

711705186_vCV9N-XL.jpg

It came with two dashes. The spare one has a half cap on it but looks very nice. It looks like the PO, had the car stripped to the bare metal before painting it Ford Red. Where the red paint peeled in the engine bay and one spot on the rear quarter, it seems there is bare metal exposed. It was originally silver but the only evidence of that is the hatch floor. The floors were stripped, blasted and epoxy painted in white before they ever had a chance to rust.

Tomorrow I will empty out the interior and take an inventory of parts. Then I'll compile a parts-needed list, and a parts-for-sale list. The set of keys I got with the car does not seem to work. Maybe the locks are tight after sitting dry for 30 years. I will have to call the PO to make sure I got the right keys.

Thanks gentleman.

I found a folder full of paperwork in the glove box. Several owners manuals, original bills of sale, dealer cards, all the bills for the paint job, and other items purchased over the years.

I'll list the biggies:

Strip Chassis to bare metal and paint with urethane - $4200 (1987)

New front fenders, new hood, new front bumper included to fix hail damage.

Fix minor dent in roof.

Removed glass and replaced seals and trim.

Strip floor pans to bare metal and coat with white epoxy paint.

Stainless Brake flex lines.

....and other misc. stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, here we are a couple of weeks later, or so it seems, and I have some progress already. Picked up the set of Webers that Stephen "stprasinz" was selling here a few weeks ago. I drove up to meet him at the Roscoe Diner on Rt. 17. I have stripped the carbs down to their bare skivies and cleaned them. I am now waiting for the rebuild kits. Here are some photos.

722344481_BmgiK-XL.jpg

722343848_q2wm3-XL.jpg

722345055_sYkdW-XL.jpg

I also stripped the front end off of the car, degreased all the suspension and steering parts, and painted everything. I am waiting for the new set of Tokico springs and HP's. All the poly bushings are ready to go in.

I can't believe how light the 240Z chassis is built compared to the 280Z. It's built more like one of my RC planes; light!

I have the new carpets in, Clive stopped by and dropped off a nice set of tail lights for the car, and I will give him the nice sports mirrors in exchange.

I still need to come up with a STOUT Weber linkage. I hate the linkage that came with most of the Weber triple kits. I am thinking billet aluminum :wink:

Next week I am going to reupholster the seats. Then, I'll rip out the entire rear suspension and drivetrain, after I get the front end back together. The rear running gear will also get stripped, painted, new poly bushings, new seals, and get re-installed.

It is SOOOOO nice not having to worry about rust/body work. I HIGHLY recommend you search far and wide for a rust free car before starting your next project. It's worth the extra bux. My dad has also stepped in and really taken this project by the horns. He is one of those old-timers that can't or won't sit still. Every morning, he stops by and asks if I have any more stuff for him to do. It's great to see my dad so involved. He is a gearhead at heart but since his retirement he has had trouble finding projects to get his hands dirty. I can help him get dirty now!

717844301_YK6j8-XL.jpg