HybridZ

Old German Touring Cars Make Everything Better

johnc

Am I the only one that RFOL at 1:19? For some reason that picture does not mesh with the Merc that I remember my Grandmother owning.

She certainly never pushed hers that hard... er... wait... she could have driven around with the pylon in there and not know it.

Love ya Grams!

Jay

Great video. I used to love watching these guys fly around the track. It was neat watching some Mekur's going around the track, too. I forgot about them.
Technically, they're not Merkur's - I believe Merkur was only the USDM brand for those. There were a lot of Ford Sierras and Ford Sierra Cosworths in there and I'm pretty sure we saw an actual Merkur XR4Ti or two, as well. Makes me miss mine some.

The Sierra Cosworth had a period of total domination on the track, so much so that they banned it from a particular class of racing - I don't remember the whole story off-hand. Extremely potent turbo 2.0L 16V 4cylinder engine in a fantastic unibody with all-wheel drive. Incredible...