HybridZ

Where are people mounting ECUs in S30s (not 280Zs)

z-ya

This is the only forum I could think of that would cover all EFI swaps into and early S30. Admins, please move if needed.

When people are swapping modern engines with EFI into S30s where are they mounting the ECUs? I know that with 280Zs most mount them in the driver side kick panel wheer the stock ECU went. The is one of the things about the 280Z I hate. I want clear access to the dead pedal, and with a 280Z the ECU always seems to be in the way.

I've mounted them on the passenger side trans tunnel:

wolf3d.jpg

Between the seats in a race car:

P1010019.jpg

And in the glove box.

For my RB project I want it to be hidden from sight if possible. Please post ideas and photos.

Thanks,

Pete

Alot of people do this when mounting amps for stereo systems, you could mount it on the underside of the passenger seat, or on the backside of the glovebox, dependent on the size of the ECU.

+1 to the under the seat idea. It'll be out of the way and you can run the wires under the carpet.

For LHD cars:

Under the Seat

Behind the seat on the compartment bulkhead wall (or in the compartment)

Same place as a 280Z, using it's brackets and kick panel cover, modified (PITA, under the seat is easier and like mentioned your foot is always all over it)

For RHD Cars:

BEHIND THE GLOVE BOX...IT'S CAVERNOUS! Because it fits so well up inside there, I have not thought to mount it anywhere else on those cars. Later cars have AC a lot of the time, and it interferes with mounting them there, but on a RHD car, the stock mounting place for an ECU does not interfere with the driver's dead pedal!

Depending on the ECU, 'in the engine bay' is also an option.

And in the glove box.

Pete, this is exactly where I mounted my Wolf V500 unit. I installed a 280z glove box liner (plastic) in my 240z and cut out a port in the back for the cables. I have a serial extension cable connected at all times to the Wolf output and I keep it curled up in the box on top of the ECU. I still retain enough space in the box for small items and my registration and proof of insurance. :)

149722700_UhVFY-M.jpg

Drivers seat. The serial cable runs forward under the carpet into the center console and connects to MegaView in the radio panel. My console has a hole in it with a cover so that I can unplug the cable from the MegaView for tuning with the PC.

154178236_MaNUZ-M.jpg

I know it says not 280Z but I assume you assume that we mount it in the stock location.

So much for assumptions.

My 280 has the MS ECU mounted in the glove box. Easy to get at, easy to hook up the laptop. Who really uses a glovebox anyways?

My second choice would be to mount it somehow in the compartment behind the seats..may need a small cooling fan since it will get covered up, but it may keep it cooler than under the windshield. The only problem with mounting it in the rear, is the length and routing of the wires, and making sure it is accessable enough to plug in your laptop to it. (I am assuming a MS style setup)

The size of the ecu will be your ultimate guide, and if the engine bay is empty enough, and if the ecu is water/heat proof enough, it could go up there (thinking of ls1 swaps)

Good luck. Not many other places to put it.

Thanks for the ideas guys. It is a stock Nissan ECU that will be mounted:

PB260058.jpg

So I don't need any access to it once it all up and running. The harness enters on the passenger side where they usually run the AC lines. No AC in this car.

Under the seat is a good option, but even though I did a good job fixing and sealing the floors, I don't like the idea of having electronics where they can get wet. Plus, my harness is not long enough, and I don't want to lengthen it because it has some shielded cables that I would rather not cut into.

I'm thinking about behind the glove box. The was mention RHD cars having a lot of room behind the glove box. I would think that LHD drive would be the same.

Thanks,

Pete

pete, mounted the gm ecu sitting vertically, between the outboard side of the glovebox. here is a pic-shows the bottom of it but you'll get the idea. out of the way of kicking feet, etc. i ran the aldl port into the glovebox for easy access. the round thing. left side of the pic is the fan housing.

speartech_harness_interior_side.JPG

pete, that new engine sure is purty!

There should be no tuning required, so I'm mounting out of the way. I put the blower and heater core back in to see what kind of room I have. I think I'm going to mount it here:

PB270061.jpg

Thanks Dave, here are a couple more:

PB260059.jpg

PB260057.jpg

When people are swapping modern engines with EFI into S30s where are they mounting the ECUs? I know that with 280Zs most mount them in the driver side kick panel wheer the stock ECU went. The is one of the things about the 280Z I hate. I want clear access to the dead pedal, and with a 280Z the ECU always seems to be in the way.

I mounted my SDS ECU on the driver's side kick panel, and I've never once hit it with my foot. The old Z ECU's are big and bulky, and they put covers over them on top of that. But with a nice, thin, anodized aluminum case, there's plenty of room, and it looks cool too.

Nigel

'73 240ZT