HybridZ

LQ4 Turbo 280Z Begins!

Welp, I have taken the plunge. No turning back now, as I have torn my DD'able car into pieces with no intention of putting it back the way it came apart...

Here is a pre-turbo/suspension/brakes/Q45 rear/cage picture of my junk.

Datsunlowered051.jpg

Datsunlowered037.jpg

In all its monster truck stance glory, there it is, monster trucking it up lol.. some think I swapped a 4wd setup under it.. here is where I want to be with sectioned struts, illuminas and camber plates.. its a terrible photochop but it will explain my wants for looks

Datsunlowered027-2.jpg

Here is where the project begins.. no turning back now.. :flamedevi at this point I have all the suspension off, rear end out, and stuff scattered everywhere ;)

randomandbuild010.jpg

Trying some different manifold setups, and the sanderson LS1 swap headers might just do the job after some major surgery!!

randomandbuild016.jpg

randomandbuild012.jpg

I hope to have the following done by at least next fall

Full suspension minus A-arms

Q45 rear end swap

Turbonetics TC78 setup

silvermine stg 4 brake setup

fab up a rollcage with harnesses and all that goodness

bad dog frame rails

Any words of wisdom are appreciated!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After my winter engine swap project turned into two winters and a summer I suggest you tackle as much as you can this winter. Drive it like that next year then start the rest next winter. What good is finishing the build next fall - just in time to park it for the winter? It sucked being without a toy for that long and the motivation shrinks the longer it's on stands. Those are my 'words of wisdom' after having been in similar but less ambitious situation. I only swapped engine and did some frame work let alone new rear end, turbo, cage that you are planning.

Cameron

Thats the plan, I have a bulk amount of money coming from Obamas first time home buyers tax rebate, so everything will be ordered at once, then its all up to fabbing everything up. I've already been through the 1/2 year engine swap/bodywork process and know exactly what you mean by loss of motivation lol.. it can get rough at times.

On the doing work side of this, I got some more work done.. flushmounted kenwood speakers up in my garage ceiling, going to get some trim today to make it nice.. sick of having no tunes!! Also an updated picture of the mess on my hands.. lol

garage11004.jpg

garage11007.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well, sold my JTR headers, and found out that MAC unequal length shorty headers for a foxbody will work awesome, of course with new flanges. Got my new Hobart handler 140 MIG, so once the cash starts rolling I can get some new stuff up in here. Until that point, this thread might be rather slow :(+

• 1 month later...

Well, here we go. I have ordered the following so far -

Modern Motorsports Stage 3 front big brake kit -

Ground control Coilovers -

Techno Toy Tuning Camber plates ( all 4 corners ) -

Tokico Illumina shocks -

Brokedick racing 6 point rollcage -

Modern Motorsports Q45 CV shaft adapters -

Master Power's new T76 Q-trim turbo -

-Still need to order/obtain -

Q45 differential -

Q45 CV's -

Get a custom driveshaft made -

Maybe switch my T56 for a TH350 -

Some sticky ass tires -

I should have enough work on my hands to last a few long weekends

TH350 boooooooooooo!

Union electrician booooooo!

JK JK

Any update on the header/turbo manifold situation?

Hey now, the union takes care of my ass.. lol, dont really know of any other occupation that would allow me to be 21 and own a house, a brand new bike, build a car, and have a ♥♥♥♥ truck :mrgreen:

Update - recieved TWO shocks! haha..

Got the flange portion of my headers finished up. I am NOT A PRO WELDER - but I have a welder and two hands... haha..

Headerconstruction001.jpg

Headerconstruction002.jpg

Headerconstruction007.jpg

The LS flange had holes that were, just, a tad, bigger....

Headerconstruction008.jpg

Tacked the top side of the header, heated it, expanded it, tacked again, rinse wash and repeat.

Headerconstruction015.jpg

Headerconstruction019.jpg

Headerconstruction024.jpg

Put them on really quick to make sure everything still clears, still need to modify the collector area to make them exit where I want them to. Overall, they are sealed, and I am happy. If you dont like them then call the whamber-lamps.

I know that same were worried that a header pointing straight up, couldn't go forward instead haha.. I was worried as well.. but I think I pulled it off. Not too worried about the flow characteristics of these obviously, but honestly I really dont think it would make a difference on a boosted car. I'm just glad I made a header work, and actually fit between everything, and stubbed the pipe out to where I can continue with the pipe run whenever the stainless+Vband flanges get here, from that point it's going to be a waiting game on the turbo arriving because I dont really know where it is going to fit lol.. ModularTurbo said that the 76's were on backorder for about 2 weeks, and that was last week.

IMG_3221.jpg

IMG_3224.jpg

IMG_3226.jpg

IMG_3227.jpg

The fit was very tight! I would have waited and bought a mandrel bent section, but honestly there was no way for it to have any radius at all.. so this will have to do.

Other good news, my 2 other shocks and rollcage will be here next Tuesday, so I can section my struts and get them welded back up, and start getting the rollcage installed.