HybridZ

purchasing an air compressor

Guest DRK

I am going to buy an air compressor, and my buddy is HIGHLY discouraging me from the oil-free ones such as the Craftsmen units that Sears sells. It has to be 110V powered. I was thinking about something around the 30 gal tank size with a 150 psi rating. What do you guys recommend?

Guest Anonymous

Vertical tank and the biggest electric motor that your limitations to the 120 volt capacity.. Keep in mind that you will ordinarily be limited by a 20 amp or less breaker switch unles you re-wire to a 30 AMP 120 volt circuit.. can't you hook up to a 220 volt clothes dryer or electric stove out let?

Agreed. Get a vertical tank if at all possible. They take up half the floor space fo a horizontal tank, and they raise the compressor up to a level where they're easier to service when necessary.

I've got a (relatively) inexpensive SpeedAir compressor, and my life is MUCH easier now. Research it. Buy it. Buy lots of air tools. Don't look back. smile.gif

IMO, the goal is at least 10cfm at 90 psi. Any reason you can't got 230v? The Husky (home depot) 6 hp vertical tank at about $400 will meet this goal. My Porter Cable twin tank portable does 5.1 cfm at 90 psi and that is almost equal to a lot of the Crafstman "big" compressors. I would like to upgrade my Campbell Hausfield to a 5 hp two stage IR. :D 15cfm at 175 psi. Compressors are like cars, can never have too much power! As long as you don't plan on running an air sander, the Craftsman will work. Anything beats nothing, however!

Thanks for all the replies. I don't have access to 230V where it will be located. Yes, I am thinking vertical tank for sure. What about the oil-free vs oil lubricated designs? Any opinions?

Danny

Guest Anonymous

I just bought a big compressor for my business. 7 1/2 hp compressor. I talked to the guys that knew about compressors and unless you want to replace your compressor in 5-8 years go with the oiled type. If you need clean oil free air, a chiller and a good filter setup will get you there and still be cheaper than the oilless type. Mark

Yup...Ding Ding Ding... MARK is the winner... Give him his prize... I found this out after I bought a 60Gallon 6HP upright sears compressor a few years back. The two stage oil units work SOOO Much longer than the regular consumer units... When Mine dies I'll upgrade to an industrial strength unit... I got mine shortly after Xmas when relatives has bought me Sears gift cards... I think I had all of $200 in the damned thing after the sale price and the certificates... Has worked fine and we are building a "Room" for it inside the garage so I won't go deaf!

Mike :D

Oil free = BAD

Oil type = GOOD

220 volt = MUCH MUCH Better

Vertical or horizontal? Doesn't matter if you mount the compressor in the rafters of your garage and run PVC pipe around. Some people don't like the PVC. Galvanized pipe cools better and will never shatter. But is more expensive and more difficult to install. With the compressor up high you can attach an air hose to the drain for easy draining. Just be sure to put a ground level switch on the power (or use a dedicated breaker).

Thanks again for all the replies guys. After reading everyones advice, it looks like my goal will be the largest capacity highest pressure 120V oil lubricated compressor I can find. It probably won't be too big, because all the big ones are 240V.

Thanks,

Danny

Dont forget about the 5-6hp portable compressors; the one that has a wheel in the front so one person can roll it around like a wheelbarrow!

I bought a gas powered compressor w/Honda 5hp engine. I've had it for about three years & have used it alot...BTW-did I mention it was portable.

The only problem w/a gas powered compressor is the Exhaust-if you are only going to use it "Inside" then you dont need the a gas powered compressor.

If you wont be needing your compressor anywhere else but your garage-then dont get a portable one; if you ever leave your garage door up your compressor may grow legs & walk away.

Just another idea to think about.

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)

I boought the Husky frm Home-Depot - 7HP peak - 60 Gal. 240 volts. I just ran a circuit from my breaker box to it - no big deal. I have it in my basement, and have used PVC piping to both garage (upstairs) and workshop (basement). All piping flows downhill to the compressor. It was (relatively) easy to do with the manufactured trusses my floor supports are made of. I got lucky with the HVAC ducting not presenting a big problem.

I put in a 30 amp circuit and have two outlets on it wired in parallel - one for the compressor in the basement and an outlet in the garage for my Millermatic 175 mig welder. I won't be welding and running the air compressor at the same time.

The county electrical inspector just passed me. 2thumbs.gif

I could have done it without getting an electrical permit and having the inspection, but for legal and insurance reasons decided do spend the $30 bucks for the permit and verified w/an inspector what I wanted to do before buying anything. I also ran a 15 amp 120V circuit for the garage and another outlet in the furnace room.

Pretty soon I'm not going to have any excuses for not working in the garage on my project!! ;)

If at all possible I would recommend getting a 240 Volt unit (vertical tank).

BTW - the Husky is made by Campbell-Hausfeld and I could tell no difference (other than color) between them. Husky is about 20-30 bucks less, but every once in a while Home Depot has the no interest for one year deal on purchases over xxx $'s and that's when I bought mine.

I have a Craftsman/Coleman/Porter Cable (they're all SOOHADOTO) oil-less unit that I intend to use only to supply extra air when painting to a hood/suit that I will fabricate (want to make sure I have enough volume). This thing is LOUD - don't get one.

Whatever you get - 120 or 240 get a pump that uses oil - you'll be glad you did - quiet and longevity at a slightly higher price. JMHO

Originally posted by Brad-ManQ45:

Blah, blah, blah...I have a Craftsman/Coleman/Porter Cable (they're all SOOHADOTO)...

SOOHADOTO? Whazzat? Single Orangutan's Other Hand Amputates Delicious Oranges To Osculate? Or maybe, Some Other Octopus's Hammer Dots Out The Origami? I'm stumped.

Time for my 2 cents worth.Several of you have mentioned using pvc piping for air lines.There was a discussion on the metal shapers forum about air lines. The general consensus was to use black metal piping as the pvc is known to fatigue and explode. Better to spend a few extra bucks than risk injury or death.

AS for compressers I bought a scratched one from sears for $200+change,its the upright 6hp oilfree model,and yes it is very loud. If or when the pump fails I'll replace the with a 2 stage 220 unit on the same tank.

Mike please post the results of your attempt to quiet the beast.I am thinking of doing something simular. I am looking for a thick rubber pad for the compressor to sit on.The walls will use layers of 3inch styrofoam seperated at allow for air flow in a serpentine patern. My concern is how to allow heat to escape so the pump doesnt burn up .Any ideas out there? Later, Tom

Guest Anonymous

I have a Campbell Hausfield 5 hp 30 gallon oil-less. Its loud and not enough power for auto body tools sanders and paint sprayers. Otherwise I use all the time for auto air tools with no problem. Good quality HOWEVER, my advice is to not go to Sears, but to find a nearby industrial tool supply like Northern Industrial Tools because, you will see a selection of several larger type like Ingersol Rand etc. at a good price ( $450-500 ). Of course purchase depends on what you want to use it for.

Good Luck