HybridZ

Just finished s13 coilovers into s30

real clean! i think i need to visit this forum more often, i got an rx7 now but always loved the z. =)

Hows the handling feel with them? i had coilovers on my old s13 and my rx7 and it feels really good.

HybridZ = Best Forum EVER!:cheers:

ohh yeah and extremely clean drop!

Hi everyone, I just recently looked into the serial nine adaptors and was shocked at their price so i gave megan racing a call. It turs out they sell the same style of adaptors (apparently for a 62mm coilover) for $100 a pair. Its the same price as the S13 front coilover perches but with no unecessary bracketry on them. They have a pic of them with the Cressida kit on their site under part # MR-CDK-MX83. The only part i am unsure of is which brand of coilovers they fit besides megan ones. There is one downside however, which is that since they have to be specially ordered seperate from the kit the estimated delivery time is 2 -3 months! But if you're not in a rush it seems like a great alternative to the serial nine adaptors, or an extra set of front mounts for the S13 coileys.

Hi everyone, I just recently looked into the serial nine adaptors and was shocked at their price so i gave megan racing a call. It turs out they sell the same style of adaptors (apparently for a 62mm coilover) for $100 a pair. Its the same price as the S13 front coilover perches but with no unecessary bracketry on them. They have a pic of them with the Cressida kit on their site under part # MR-CDK-MX83. The only part i am unsure of is which brand of coilovers they fit besides megan ones. There is one downside however, which is that since they have to be specially ordered seperate from the kit the estimated delivery time is 2 -3 months! But if you're not in a rush it seems like a great alternative to the serial nine adaptors, or an extra set of front mounts for the S13 coileys.

I know which megan ones you're talking about, and I'm pretty sure they're aluminum, and the threads likely to not match non-megan coils.

Im willing to have these made... I would like to look into it but i need atleast one of those adapters for the dimensions thickness thread pitch ect.. would like to try and make it out of stainless.

The thing is, if someone made adapters, they would have to be specific for certain coilovers, as not all coilovers have the same thread specs.

Unless you can work out a deal on blanks, and then tap them to a customer's specified thread spec for their coilover.

anyone have an idea as to how hard would it be to have a machine shop make some of those serial9 style adapters in steel? ideas of the cost and turnaround time?
I took a few minutes this week and put together a quick model and drawing of an adapter tube similar to the serial9 one. I threw some basic dimensions down and sent it to a local machine shop to get a rough idea of what it would cost.

The part isnt too complicated so I will be very surprised if I dont hear back with good news. The real trick will be figuring out the thread dimensions on the coilovers. I need these to spec out the threads on the adapter tubes so the coilovers will fit and so far I havent been able to find that kind of information online.

As mentioned thread specs will vary by manufacturer. If anyone has purchased a set of decent coilovers I'd be very curious to get this information.

Here's a quick picture of the tube, not that noone knows what it looks like.. :P

strut-tube-adapter.jpg

I know which megan ones you're talking about, and I'm pretty sure they're aluminum, and the threads likely to not match non-megan coils.

If they're made to be welded onto thhe original strut how could they be aluminum. You can't weld aluminium to steel. And as far as having them machined out of stainless that was my first thought. My best friend is a machinist so i asked him about it and he said it's a PITA becuase it takes a long time to turn fine threads like that on a lathe. He said it might be possible w/ a CNC but after i told him the price of the megan ones he said it would be cheaper to just buy those ones. just my .02. But if anyone has found a cheaper alternative i am more than interested. :icon46:

Is this set up an improvement over the Ground Control kit? If so in what way?
The main difference is Ground Control uses a threaded sleeve that you weld onto your strut tube. To lower your car without loosing all your suspension travel you need to section your strut tubes. With this setup uses essentially an adapter to let you thread in a standalone damper. Essentially this lets you skip the process of sectioning your strut tubes, possibly making the installation easier.

I could be wrong here, there may be additional advantages to this type of coilover, but I do not think the end result is necessarily a huge improvement. What it does allow you to get decent coilovers at a cheaper price than normally available for Z cars.

jmai86, I'm curious what springs you are running. How is the ride? I've read that using really stiff springs (300+ lb/in) on the S30s, like they like to run on more modern cars, can cause problems with chassis flexing.

You guys really need to step back and put some more thought into this. Back on 2001-2002 I did some engineering work with EMI Racing and Penske NA to put triple adjustable 8760s on my racing 240Z. We went the same basic route as being discussed here but there was a lot of effort reviewing materials, heat treat, etc.

You guys really need to step back and put some more thought into this. Back on 2001-2002 I did some engineering work with EMI Racing and Penske NA to put triple adjustable 8760s on my racing 240Z. We went the same basic route as being discussed here but there was a lot of effort reviewing materials, heat treat, etc.

I'm totally stoned right now, but I haven't previously seen you criticizing the Arizona Z Car stuff which has been using this welded sleeve method for years. Am I too high to understand what argument you're making or why it doesn't apply to AZC?

It applies to both but based on some of the comments in this thread I'm a bit worried about the direction these guys are going. Look back through the thread Jon and see some of the replies. Its a good idea and has been done many times over the years with many different strut equipped cars but it needs to be thought out. Geez, Jon. Some of these guys don't know if the parts they are looking for are steel or aluminum.

It applies to both but based on some of the comments in this thread I'm a bit worried about the direction these guys are going. Look back through the thread Jon and see some of the replies. Its a good idea and has been done many times over the years with many different strut equipped cars but it needs to be thought out. Geez, Jon. Some of these guys don't know if the parts they are looking for are steel or aluminum.

The springs I am using are the ones that came with the coilover kit.

The ride is stiff, but not undriveably stiff. I actually quite like it, and have been daily driving the car. But then again, comfort is a subjective thing.

johnc:

I am aware that this type of thing may not be the best for performance, but it was a much more affordable solution that works very well for me as a daily driver and not a track or high performance oriented car. My main concern was reliability, and took steps to make sure things don't fall apart ont he road. So far, it hasn't let me down.

I don't want to knock those that put alot of R&D into custom setups, because I do respect the work that they do. But for a street car, I don't see the point in making a very simple conversion a big deal. Just make sure the materials are a good quality steel and the welds are good, alignment is good, and everything should be fine.

IMO.

Also, the advantage with this setup is independent height, dampening, and preload adjustment, as well as a better range of height adjustment. You can go very low with this, and still retain shock travel.

Just make sure the materials are a good quality steel and the welds are good, alignment is good, and everything should be fine.

Exactly! That's my point. Don't halfass this job because it can easily kill you. Take your time, measure twice, cut once, make sure everything is aligned, and make damn sure the welding is correct.

BTW... I'm not trying to discourage anyone from doing this. As I've said in the low cost coilover thread the S30 community really needs a low cost coil over alternative. But make damn sure you do it right.

Edited by johnc

The thing is, if someone made adapters, they would have to be specific for certain coilovers, as not all coilovers have the same thread specs.

Unless you can work out a deal on blanks, and then tap them to a customer's specified thread spec for their coilover.

This is true.. although perhaps we could find the best applicable suspension and base it off those? It could be a little timely or difficult to do a customer's specified thread spec per order but not impossible. I would have to look into it more thoroughly for an option like that.

Exactly! That's my point. Don't halfass this job because it can easily kill you. Take your time, measure twice, cut once, make sure everything is aligned, and make damn sure the welding is correct.

BTW... I'm not trying to discourage anyone from doing this. As I've said in the low cost coilover thread the S30 community really needs a low cost coil over alternative. But make damn sure you do it right.

Agreed, don't half ass the job even if it is an affordable job. I spent well over 20 hours of labor installing these and making sure everything was snug before I took the car out the driveway lol.

Also, I can easily see this being used for the track with custom springs or better coilovers. But the main reason why I went this route, was because no other Z option allowed me to drop the car as low as I wanted to go while retaining some comfort.

I guess I missed that the first time, but as I said I am on heavy pain meds.

The nice part about the threaded collar is that it can give you so many different shocks that could screw right in. The shitty part is that so many shitty shocks screw right in, and it really isn't easy to tell the difference by looking at the outside.

I will be buying a set of the S13 EMUSA coilovers for my self and a couple local guys. I can offer them to anyone interested for $375 shipped.

Send me a pm or email if you are interested. This is a chance to save a few dollars and to deal with me, instead of an ebay vender, no offense to ebay venders.

Thanks,

Andy