interior re-do and custom subwoofer/speaker install! enjoy

shika805

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I got the gauge faces from speedhut and used there module they have online to custom make them.

i had a little issue with them, which became a pain, but after having two of the faces sent back, repaired and finally reinstalled, everything is working right again... they look nice but pretty stressful to get them to work

i stated the issue i had with them in another thread in this section

I got the gauge faces from speedhut and used there module they have online to custom make them.

i had a little issue with them, which became a pain, but after having two of the faces sent back, repaired and finally reinstalled, everything is working right again... they look nice but pretty stressful to get them to work

i stated the issue i had with them in another thread in this section

What size in mm are the tach and speedo I have a set of autometer gauges in mind and wanna make sure im getting the right size.

Im trying to go with all digital.

I'm just wondering, how exactly did you fix your dash? I read everything posted, and unless my brain decided to exclude only that part, I didn't see how you did it. Like most people, my dash is cracked, and cracked bad. I'm really looking for just a straight forward walk through on filling cracks. I was thinking of using maybe a small amount of expandable foam to fill the cracks, then using Bondo to smooth it out, then coating it with bed liner. Your method looks really good, and I'm liking it.

i used the thread that was posted while back in this section concerning dash repair.

i first cut off the extra material that made the cracks not flush with the rest of the dash. I then used a type of hardening expanding foam to fill in the gaps. I believe the the product i used for that was called "hulk" which i got at home depot. Once the foam expanded and dried i shaved the excess and prepped for some flexible bumper repair. its made from Bondo, heat resistant and flexible.

here is the picture of what it looked like. kinda expensive but it was the only stuff that was around here in Santa Barbara, used about two kit for my whole repair.

IMG_6865.jpg

From that point i let the repair kit dry and started sanding. After a few hours of sanding, got it to the point where it was nice and smooth. I prepped for some wrinkle finish from Krylon and let dry for 24 hours.

next day i prepped it for an adhesion promoter that came in a can, let it sit for about 20min and sprayed my last coat of Vinyl and Fabric paint... Duplicolor worked really well on the dash.

If you were to use bondo (auto body bondo) i think it would crack do to the heat within the compartment of the car. You want a material to go over the dash that is flexible under heat conditions to prevent craking of the dash. Auto Body Bondo would keep its place but the rest of the dash would pull away and create a new crack. Thats why i went with a bumber repait kit, its flexible under any condition and will stay in place.

hope that helps

oh yeah total cost was about 45 bucks, a dash repair is worth doing!!!

I really like the work here.

The problem with mounting speakers in that location is the variance in sound from left to right. I saw a study done by a car stereo magazine once that explained how dash mounted speakers place either the left or the right far too close to you. They said the ideal location with the kick panel, because the distance to either passenger was more equal. The second best is the door panel, right down there by the kick panel where most people put them.

Here's an article I found on it just googling really quick. http://www.caraudiobook.com/car_audio_kickpanels/car_audio_kickpanels.htm

This might not be an issue for most people, though. Just throwing it out there for people who are considering what would be best for them.

The location looks prime for speakers the way you did it. I'm also liking the 6x9's location. I wonder if you could fit two 8" subs there and get decent sound from it? Might be nice having them right behind the seats.

The dash came out fantastic! That's some inspiration to get to work on mine.

thanks for the compliments guys...

i really was debating where to put the front speakers for the install... i just didnt like where most placed the front speakers. i do agree that this is not the best choice for front speakers to be mounted... i still have to hear how it sounds.

i debated about the two 8's behind the seat, it would fit perfect though!

hey i really like your dash work and in need of doing this myself. Ok. so the cracks you fill it with material??? (whats material or what kind of material?

"i first cut off the extra material that made the cracks not flush with the rest of the dash"

can you reexplain please.

hey i really like your dash work and in need of doing this myself. Ok. so the cracks you fill it with material??? (whats material or what kind of material?

"i first cut off the extra material that made the cracks not flush with the rest of the dash"

can you reexplain please.

Read post #25 he explains what he did.

• 2 weeks later...

I really like the install! Different and clean.

Are you planning on putting any dynamat behind the 6x9s, like in the tool boxs? It would really help the speakers from sounding "tinny".

Not to steal the thread or anything, but at my work we did something similar in the bosses Audi A4. We made a fiberglass enclosure so it was removable for track days. Here are some pics so ppl get the idea.

100_1486A4Stereo.jpg

Mockup with cardboard

100_1490A4Stereo.jpg

100_1491A4Stereo.jpg

Start of the 'glassing. Used a Mold Release Spray before starting.

trunk2A4Stereo.jpg

108_1149A4Stereo.jpg

Bottom of the spare tire well had been cut out, so needed to support the 'glass in the proper position

100_1550A4Stereo.jpg

Box dry and added top MDF piece and 'glassed that on from the inside. Then added carpet.

100_1555A4Stereo.jpg

Almost done

100_1565A4Stereo.jpg

Installing...

Hope this is value to some people!

yes underneath i am planning to remove the gas tank and place extra insulation. With the added sound insulation that i already placed in the spare wheel compartment, i think should be enough.

here's an update...

with some carpet in...

IMG_7327.jpg

IMG_7322.jpg

with the seats installed...

IMG_7337.jpg

test fitted steering wheel...

IMG_7346.jpg