HybridZ

Just finished putting down some sound deadening

logan1

WOW just finished a pita job of sound deadening the car. My dad did 99% of the work . Currently my car does not have any stereo equipment but i hope to put in a simple system later on down the road.

The sound deadening i used is called Rattle trap made by fatmat. I bought it on eBay; 100sqft shipped for $160. The mat stick very well to all surfaces. Also dont be fooled into thinking that this is a quick job that can be done in 1 afternoon. It take a good bit of time to make sure the surface is clean and ready for application and the pieces are cut well so everything fits together nicely with no wrinkles and huge overlaps at the edges.

Here are a few pictures of the finished product.

IMG_0521.jpg

IMG_0519.jpg

IMG_0515.jpg

IMG_0514.jpg

IMG_0507.jpg

IMG_0504.jpg

Can you guys recommend a good heat shield for the firewall and transmission tunnel.

Edited by logan1
UPDATED: heat shield installed

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, looks great man! I would love to know how much sound reduction you notice once you get her on the road again. Talk about totally ripping your interior out! I see you didn't mat the rear taillight panel, any reason for that? Did you also do the roof? if so can we get a pic of that?

Also, are you going to soundproof the insides of the wheel wells? I hear there is a good amount of noise that come from those. This is definitely something I want to do.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Gr8White
you didn't by any chance weigh how much you put in did you?

X2.....most of us want to keep our Zs as light as possible. I'd love to have some of that but the gearhead in me is yelling "Don't do it!!!" Looks very nice. Good job! Man that stuff looks heavy.....

there is another alternative and it is money saving to boot! most of us would greatly benefit from it. lose weight, it is the least expensive horsepower to weight ratio gain you can get, bar none!:D

ever take a long trip in a z? driving for more than 30 minutes i put my earplugs in. and yes, i do have a full exhaust with a muffler.

Wow, looks great man! I would love to know how much sound reduction you notice once you get her on the road again. Talk about totally ripping your interior out! I see you didn't mat the rear taillight panel, any reason for that? Did you also do the roof? if so can we get a pic of that?

Also, are you going to soundproof the insides of the wheel wells? I hear there is a good amount of noise that come from those. This is definitely something I want to do.

I too did my full interior with dynamat. The difference in road noise and rattles is unbelievable. Worth every penny and even the added weight in a street driven car in my opinion.

Guest Old240z

the only thing i see that you did wrong is cutting out the holes in the door panels, when you deaden a door you dont do that and if you ever need to get inside the door you just pull it back. the only hole that should be in the door is the speaker hole it self. the rest looks good, i think when i did mine it was around 40 ibs.

35lbs ain't so bad. If the effect is really noticeable, I could almost justify that.

That looks like a killer job you did there! I have to agree, though, covering the holes in the doors should quiet them down even more.

As a lighter and easier alternative, can't you just put pieces in strategic places - like on the larger flat surfaces, etc.. to take the ring out of the metal and stop some of the noise? This method would use much less material/work and keep the weight way down.

I know I saw a test once in a stereo shop where you could tap a little hammer on a piece of metal, and then one next to it had like a 1"x1" piece of this material. The difference in sound was incredible.

It's just when you're considering every piece of your car and its weight... fighting to drop 5 pounds here, 5 pounds there... and then you add 35-40lbs all at once? Ouch. That's a decent sized step back. Not a huge deal... but every 40lbs adds up.

It's just when you're considering every piece of your car and its weight... fighting to drop 5 pounds here, 5 pounds there... and then you add 35-40lbs all at once? Ouch. That's a decent sized step back. Not a huge deal... but every 40lbs adds up.
I get what you're saying but on a street car, the 35lbs just isn't going to matter. On a race car, you wouldn't put in sound deadening in the first place for exactly that reason. I imagine you would have more weight difference in a full gas tank vs empty.