HybridZ

Just finished putting down some sound deadening

logan1

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice work, I'm looking at doing something similar, I would like to just cover the major spots.

What areas would be the most important to cover?

Also are you just going to lay the carpet over the mat or what? I can't imagine the material staying in place long with just a piece of carpet laying on top of it.

I get what you're saying but on a street car, the 35lbs just isn't going to matter. On a race car, you wouldn't put in sound deadening in the first place for exactly that reason. I imagine you would have more weight difference in a full gas tank vs empty.

Agreed. If weight is really an issue, go on a diet :D

If one thinks about it, the difference in weight between a full tank of gas a nearly empty tank is significant, yet the difference in the driving feel isn't enough to bother me at least...

Sparks280zt had some great suggestions as well.

Davy

UPDATE HEAT SHIELD INSTALLED

Just installed some heat shield. I use a product called Reflectix: Double Reflective Insulation that i bought from Home Depot ($25 for 50sqft).

I read a bunch of reviews from people on the Corvette forum who seem to have had very good results shielding the cabin from engine / exhaust and transmission heat.

http://www.homedepot.com/Reflectix/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xr5Z19n/R-100052556/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Reflectix is very easy to work with and I with help from dear ol' dad managed to get the firewall, transmission tunnel and cabin floors done in about 3 hrs (Start to finish). I used 3M super 77 adhesive and Aluminum foil tape to stick and secure the Reflectix.

IMG_0543.jpg

IMG_0539.jpg

IMG_0542.jpg

IMG_0550.jpg

Did you weigh the heat shield material you put in?

I use the whole roll (50sqft) of Heat shield which weighted 3 lbs. Add to that the foil tape and adhesive and i'd say its approximately 4 lbs max.

This is a 100% street car and hence comfort and ride quality are very important to me.

Wicked!

I wasn't trying to spark a discussion about weight savings, but the point you guys didn't catch is this - Every 40 pounds add up. If you build your car saying, "Oh, its only 40 pounds." and then you do that 10 times throughout the build, thats 400 pounds. 400 is very significant to performance. My point was I build with weight in mind all the time, and always consider the total outcome.

I agree, comfort is great. I would like to make my ride super comfy, but I don't take it on long trips. It's a round the town car and occasional racer.

Oh, and by the way - Gas weighs about 6 pounds per gallon. If I run my tank half empty, I save only 24-30 pounds. It's still less than this material. (just informing you to how light gas is - noticeably lighter than water)

between the sound deadening and heat shield you should be able to skip the factory style jute on the tunnel? How far up the hatch area did you go and did you do the roof? I plan on doing this. if all the panels still fit then it should help cut down on all the plastic squeeks in the back. I am worried about it sticking to the roof and the headliner sticking to it here in the Texas heat. As far as added weight horsepower is easy. Most of you guys are either running turbo or V-8's. I don't think lack of HP is a factor.

damn, i would just put a seat in it and drive it like that. too nice to cover it all up!!!

im 165lbs and alot of guys are in the 200lbs. im already ahead of the weight game!!! j/k. yes it does add up but anything having to make it comfortable is going to add weight regardless.

i really wonder how big of a difference this is going to make on his car?

Wicked!

I wasn't trying to spark a discussion about weight savings, but the point you guys didn't catch is this - Every 40 pounds add up. If you build your car saying, "Oh, its only 40 pounds." and then you do that 10 times throughout the build, thats 400 pounds. 400 is very significant to performance. My point was I build with weight in mind all the time, and always consider the total outcome.

When i want to go balls out fast i get on my other ride:

IMG_0167.jpg

The Z is :

(1) my fun cruiser when the prevailing weather conditions are not conducive to ride a bike

OR

(2) if I'm going on a date with a chick who refuses to get on the back of my bike.

(2) if I'm going on a date with a chick who refuses to get on the back of my bike.

OR

(3) If the chick is to fat to get on the back of my bike. :mrgreen: (I mean i don't discriminate; i still want to hit-it but not at the expense of having to buy a new sub-frame for my bike.)

you make me miss my zx6r 636. sold it for good reasons. one too many tickets!

seriously, im not hating either but any overweight chick in back of you holding you is uncomfortable and makes it scary to turn or even accelerate because you might just flip. damn, that sounds bad. god forgive me.

Guest Gr8White
I get what you're saying but on a street car, the 35lbs just isn't going to matter. On a race car, you wouldn't put in sound deadening in the first place for exactly that reason. I imagine you would have more weight difference in a full gas tank vs empty.

Each to their own... I would agree that 35 lbs in itself isn't a big issue, to me this is more of a mentality of keeping weight down for the sake of performance. It's the "just 10 lbs", "just 35 lbs." that adds up and gets you in the end. If I must add weight, I'll add it where it will do the most good for performance, that's just personal opinion. I do the same to my street and race car. Call me anorexic if you will, so be it.

If none of this mattered or added up then the fat man in the McDonald's drive through wouldn't be fat, it's "just" a Big Mac for chrissakes....

When i want to go balls out fast i get on my other ride:

The Z is :

(1) my fun cruiser when the prevailing weather conditions are not conducive to ride a bike

OR

And that just proves my point, thank you.:mrgreen: (power/weight)