HybridZ

Cambered Tires

johnc

I'm pretty sure there's a fantastic reason nobody has made a tire that has multiple diameters contacting and transferring power at the same time, but I'm going to shut up and wait until JohnC keeps me from talking out of my back side.

Edit: I feel that having a tire with two different radii like that would put HUGE stress on suspension components.

Years ago Pirelli had something similar in F1. I remember reading about it in the old autoweek newspaper format. I also remember two compound tires and other odd things being tried.

I also remember my early BFG autox tires had two different sidewall stiffnesses, which is sorta similar.

Cary

I've found that Googlemaps is almost 4+ years behind on their pictures in my area. It really sucks when you are trying to find an address that is in a new area and all you get for a satellite photo is a bunch of trees, heh...

I wonder what kind of lifespan you would get out of those tires? Seems like they might scrub a lot if not set up properly...

Ryan~

Yes, it's absurd and will only work well, when the suspension is loaded to, exactly the correct point, that will make the "cambered contact patch", flat. The odds of having the tires fall into their "sweet spot" at the right place and right time are slim to none.

Yes, it's absurd and will only work well, when the suspension is loaded to exactly the correct point that will make the "cambered contact patch", flat. The odds of having the tires fall into their "sweet spot" at the right place and right time are slim to none.

Forgive me for being dense, but why would this be any different in terms of loading the bearings and suspension than actually running 2.5 degrees of neg camber? I realize the contact patch would be flipped from what we're used to dealing with. And yes, tires with lots of neg camber don't get loaded just right and get the contact patch flat until you're right on the limit, but we still set the cars up for that, because it results in lower lap times. The rest of the time we're braking and accelerating on trapezoidal or triangular contact patches and it still works out better in terms of lap time. Only downside I can see is that it might have some really bad camber thrust, but I think a standard tire with lots of camber can have that problem too, albeit in the opposite direction.

I'll stick with regular tires and adjust the angles with the suspension, but I fail to see why this is purely a joke and wouldn't have any practical benefit. What am I missing?

Negative static camber (in the suspension) is used to offset camber gain in roll. It a bad thing for braking and acceleration but the gains in corner speed outweigh the drawbacks. Some of these drawbacks can be minimized with a suspension that gains negative camber in bump.

With a negative cambered tire postioned this way on the car: you essentially have to start out with 0 or positive camber and the allow roll camber to plant the tire on the ground. That will work fine on a Morgan with a sliding pillar front suspension but on any modern car it just moves the camber gain issue to the tire (which is non-adjustable) from the suspension (which is adjustable).

Or, you can flip the negative camber tire and position them this way >

I'm not smart enough to discuss the internal tire distortion/thrust issues and I ahve no clue what kind of slip angle curve that tire will have.

Edited by johnc