HybridZ

Aluminum Radiators

pcakes55

I bought that radiator for my Z from the same place, and haven't had any problems with it. It looks very similar to the one that MSA sells. I also use the MSA aluminum shroud with 2 electric fans and have been really happy with it, even though it makes things cramped in front of the engine.

I did buy another one before that on eBay that was a piece of junk, "cool auto parts" I think, stay away from them. The core looked like a trapezoid when I pulled it out of the box.

• 1 month later...

I bought that radiator for my Z from the same place, and haven't had any problems with it. It looks very similar to the one that MSA sells. I also use the MSA aluminum shroud with 2 electric fans and have been really happy with it, even though it makes things cramped in front of the engine.

I did buy another one before that on eBay that was a piece of junk, "cool auto parts" I think, stay away from them. The core looked like a trapezoid when I pulled it out of the box.

I ended up going with this Kool Radiators because it was cheap and was at first skeptical at it, but when the package arrived, even my certified mechanic, was surprised. The welds weren't perfectly done, but hey for under $200 shipped I wasn't looking for perfection.

What I have to say though is how this radiator cools. Wide on throttle through the mountains I find my temperature gauge never exceeding operating temp. Through town and in city driving, I barely have to even turn on my auxiliary fan. Partially it's due to my 160 degree thermostat, but as a test we let the car get near max temp and turn the fan on to see how long it would take get just below half, and timed it was about 3 minutes. That was VERY impressive. I unfortunately didn't have enough money to buy a shroud, and the ghetto fan setup (mounting it on the fins) seems to be working okay even with the constant g-forces encountered driving mountain roads and autocross.

I am EXTREMELY happy with my purchase and cannot recommend a higher quality radiator for the price. There is only one thing to say: BUY IT!

I would say call 714-599-3336 (ask for Brent). Fast shipping and good product!

Here's a few pics:

26157_388582415982_733265982_4466899_2747094_n.jpg

26157_388582430982_733265982_4466901_3248456_n.jpg

26157_388582440982_733265982_4466902_3122437_n.jpg

These aluminum radiators should have rubber insulators between them and the radiator support/where you mount them if you are using them on the street or for long-term use.

Are you talking about electrolytic corrosion? Most of the aluminum radiators I've seen on ebay use steel mounting brackets. I guess that just move the problem to a different area :unsure:

Nope. The radiator core support on the S30 flexes in hard cornering. That flexing, over time, tends to tear apart aluminum radiators unless they are rubber mounted.

Thanks John, that's info I can use. I have an aluminum radiator I'm planning to install. I've got a couple of 12" electric fans and a thermostatic controller left over from an earlier project. Still on the fence about whether the electric fans have more advantage than drawbacks. I'm leaning towards leaving the old fan in.

I am running the 2 row core aluminum radiator shown in the pics above.  I paid $99 new, on ebay.  I feel guilty because it's probably not employing anyone in this country....but hey I'm unemployed so I gotta resort to the cheap stuff.   Anyhow, it works.  I use the mechanical fan on it.  It had a small microscopic pinhole in the corner weld of the top tank.  I discovered it after noticing that the underside of the hood was getting sticky.   A rat tail file over the hole and JB Weld fixed it right up.

On the drivers side edge, the aluminum channel is a perfect size to wedge a snapple bottle into. Hold it in with a zip tie.  I use one as my overflow/expansion container.  Drill a hole in the cap and stick a hose to the bottom of it.  Works great!  

You can see the snapple bottle in this pic.

838974219_GMCbH-XL.jpg

Edited by cygnusx1

I had most of the parts laying around, under grease, and since I "found" the time, I figured I'd put all those old Z parts to use....it took a lot of elbow grease.  Elbow grease is free here.   :lol:

Edited by cygnusx1

Just put the MSA dual fan unit in a 240Z that is currently someplace east of Tennesee by last SMS I got...

Across CA, AZ, TX and then into the big rain storm...

Running 160 thermo the front of the engine is 10-20F cooler than at the rear (dual gauges installed...)

The fan manufacturer/packaging information was all cut off the MSA boxes, so no help from me there. But the MSA aluminum unit worked well enough for that torture test.

This one? Who knows? :blink: