HybridZ

Ninjas. They're everywhere

auxilary

26625_364138238294_650983294_3746323_7184762_n.jpg

Now in my garage. Picked up a 2006 ninja 650r with 10k miles on the clock, never been down, just dirty and in need of some typical maintenance... for $2700! Rode it home for 50 miles, no problems. Comfy ergonomics, upright seating position. The motor is a parallel twin, makes about 70 hp, but lots of low end torque (around 48-50 ft lbs).

Ninjas, their everywhere indeed. Here's a ninja of the more bizarre kind...(*some foul language included*)

On a side note, this is exactly the perfect kind of "music ammunition" to use when, say your surfing with friends and need to put an odd tune into their heads for a good laugh. A game I like to participate in regularly, usually with horrible 80's ballads :D

Ninjas, their everywhere indeed. Here's a ninja of the more bizarre kind...(*some foul language included*)

On a side note, this is exactly the perfect kind of "music ammunition" to use when, say your surfing with friends and need to put an odd tune into their heads for a good laugh. A game I like to participate in regularly, usually with horrible 80's ballads :D

LOL totally. I usually go "show me your genitals" or "buh-weet sings". Although the snl guys who did the you-know-what in a box are funny too. Sorry for the hijack. But seriously, you guys asked for this

ninjas.preview.jpg

Back on note, I've wanted a ninja for years but can't get myself to spend the money. It was partly because I wanted to save money on gas when the prices looked like they were going to hit 4 bucks a gallon and they said it would be 10 by next year, but lately it's fairly stable around 3 in CA. I would like to know if they are indeed comfortable. I've never ridden a crotch rocket before, how does it compare to say a dual sport bike? My second option would be an xr400. ;) I was planning on buying a 90s one, but I fell in love with the latest model that has the consolidated headlights, the previous years looked kinda overly bugeyed imo. The new bikes are pretty sexy and the price seems reasonable.

Very cool. You seem to do very well buying bikes and then flipping them (figuratively speaking). Do you like the way this one rides/drives over the Triumph? Bargain price for that BTW! Good score.

Davy

well, I don't buy bikes to flip them and make a profit. THe triumph I got, the owner wanted it out of his garage (and i've known the bike since he got it, so i knew the whole history)

Seating position is a lot more comfortable, but I need to figure out how to fix the wind buffeting to my face (6'1)

That is the worst crap I've heard in a long time. Interesting to note that Michael and Ralf Schumacher are race car drivers, but younger brother went for the horrible prison tats, ninja rap, progeria sidekick thing instead.

• 2 weeks later...

oil change, massive cleaning, chain cleansing, oiling, etc, and now it's roadworthy. I also forgot just how much difference 6 psi makes in tires on a bike

Would you say you got the bike..... "wheely" clean?

*Runs*for*cover*behind*bad*pun*shield*

On a less infantile note, why/what sort of difference does 6 psi make on a bike, and what sort of tire pressures are run?

Would you say you got the bike..... "wheely" clean?

*Runs*for*cover*behind*bad*pun*shield*

On a less infantile note, why/what sort of difference does 6 psi make on a bike, and what sort of tire pressures are run?

because of how you lean to turn a motorcycle less air pressure makes the tire flatter and makes the bike feel very heavy and sluggish.

depends on the weight of the bike w/ average rider. when i brought it home, I just rode it back without checking pressure. It seemed over 25 by touch, so it was good enough to get home. When I checked it the other day it was 26 front, 25 rear. Normal range for my bike (397lbs dry, no gas/coolant/oil, and about 420 lbs wet) it is 32psi front, 36 rear.

Tire pressure is vital on bikes because the tires are round and not flat. So low pressure - less curve - can't turn/lean well

I race dirtbikes in flattrack racing (or dirttrack same thing).

Here's a quick video for those that don't know...

And a great movie to watch about dirtbikes is On Any Sunday by Bruce Brown.

Looks like you can watch the whole thing here (with commercials) - http://www.imdb.com/video/hulu/vi2162491929/

It's a good movie for those who aren't even that into bikes. It's about 1.5hrs.

Anyways we will run anywhere from 8 to 30 psi depending on the tires, track, time of day, etc. It matters a lot for traction/handling. Like others have said tires are round not flat so pressure affects the contact patch with every little change.

To further digress...

I flagged the AMA SuperBike event at Cal Speedway this weekend. When I was working Turn 12 (you can see me for a second at a time on SpeedTV's broadcast) I was amazed to watch the riders brake from 160 mph, skip the rear wheel off the ground, downshift four times, and back the bike into the turn 12/13 chicane. Although you can't see me in this pic, I'm in the corner station at the bottom left - this is the first lap of Sunday's race.

riders-ASBFontana2.jpg

• Administrators

To further digress...

I flagged the AMA SuperBike event at Cal Speedway this weekend. When I was working Turn 12...

, I'm in the corner station at the bottom left - this is the first lap of Sunday's race.

Sweet mullet John. :2thumbs:

Corners.jpg