HybridZ

My grandfather just died

josh817

Now what do I do? He's up in Rhode Island, I'm here in Texas with school. I want to be at his funeral but missing class is risky. How does everyone else in school do this?

It was sad to hear my momma cry. :( He had a stroke last September and since then the doctors think he's been having mini strokes. When I visited him in January he remembered me but kept saying he had to go to football practice and everything. He wasn't aware that he wasn't at home. Then just 2 days ago he got pneumonia and went back to the hospital. By this point my grandmother said he wasn't the same. You would walk in and he wouldn't even realize you were there. Ask him questions, and he wouldn't respond.

I'm not really the crying type. Hard to get tears out. I hope my momma doesn't think I'm not sad about the situation because I'm not cry or showing a lot of emotion but she is. :(

rhodeisland186.jpg

Edited by josh817

Missing school can be risky but in the end I feel that family (relationships) takes priority over just about everything. You obviously seem like you were close to him. Paying respects at someone's funeral is a onetime thing while classes happen multiple times a week. Your teachers/administrators should understand your need to be at the funeral. If they don't then I am glad that I am not their kid. If you would regret not going more than you would regret not making it to a couple classes then you should definitely go.

Sorry for your loss.

My Condolences. Personally I'd go. School is important, but most of it you can do over if absolutely necessary. I would also think most professors would be understanding, and pardon you. Your grandfather however, will only have one funeral, and that's it. And personally, I think family in situations like this is more important.

My $.02.

Also, who's scheduling the funeral? When my grandma died, my parents scheduled it to be on a Saturday so I wouldn't have to miss school. Don't know if that's a possibility for your family.

Edited by rturbo 930

I'm not sure who is scheduling. Mom literally called me up an hour ago saying he died. She says there's severe weather on Friday, his funeral will be over the weekend but because of weather on Friday, we'd probably have to leave tomorrow or Thursday.

This is the first family death that's occurred for me so I don't know like... how long a funeral can wait before things get bad. Knowing my family, everyone already has their own spot in the cemetery so I guess the ceremony part is all that's left.

Mom said she will call me with more information once she finds out. I know my professors will exempt me, except maybe for Architecture because he does a lot of pop quizzes but only counts about 3 of them into your grade. He will always say, if it caught you by surprise and you don't know anything, that's ok, just turn it in and hopefully it won't be one that's counted in the grade book. I could definitely see him saying that to me. Or another worst case scenario is like my Physics class last semester. I was in a car accident and missed a quiz in Physics. The professor exempt me, but he never wrote my name down or anything. Since this is college... you don't really get progress reports with all the grades you made in that class so I never knew if I made a 0 or if it just didn't count.

The biggest thing I worry about is my mom. Since she lives at home by herself. No one to vent off to...

I'm not sure who is scheduling. Mom literally called me up an hour ago saying he died. She says there's severe weather on Friday, his funeral will be over the weekend but because of weather on Friday, we'd probably have to leave tomorrow or Thursday.

This is the first family death that's occurred for me so I don't know like... how long a funeral can wait before things get bad. Knowing my family, everyone already has their own spot in the cemetery so I guess the ceremony part is all that's left.

Mom said she will call me with more information once she finds out. I know my professors will exempt me, except maybe for Architecture because he does a lot of pop quizzes but only counts about 3 of them into your grade. He will always say, if it caught you by surprise and you don't know anything, that's ok, just turn it in and hopefully it won't be one that's counted in the grade book. I could definitely see him saying that to me. Or another worst case scenario is like my Physics class last semester. I was in a car accident and missed a quiz in Physics. The professor exempt me, but he never wrote my name down or anything. Since this is college... you don't really get progress reports with all the grades you made in that class so I never knew if I made a 0 or if it just didn't count.

The biggest thing I worry about is my mom. Since she lives at home by herself. No one to vent off to...

My condolences.  The weather up here looks nice for the next 5 days.  I would hop a flight and skip school.  Just let the prof's know the deal.

sorry to hear man.

let your professors know before and go to the funeral, any class or test can wait, a funeral cant.

worst case if one of them decides to be a **** and fail you or something take it up with a higher up, someones going to understand.

Edited by skib

This is the first family death that's occurred for me so I don't know like...

Your mom needs your support right now - that's the most important thing. Get on a plane. Sorry to hear about your loss and hang in there.

Sorry about your loss.

I was in the same situation at the beginning of last semester. I just met with my teachers, in person by the way, and they were all more than understanding. I agree with the rest of the people here too... Family is of far greater importance than school, although I really see no problems coming from your professors.

Sorry to hear. Go to the funeral man. It might bug you later on in life and you can always work a little her and catch up on school stuff. You're lucky that at least you knew you grandfather better than I did. I was only 7 when one of them passed away. And on the other side of the world when the other grandfather one passed away.

Sorry about all that happened. That really sucks, my grandpa had an anurism and I almost lost him recently. He is home by now but I am so sorry. I hope everything works out. Talk to your teachers in advance, tell them whats going on. If they don't understand pull the. Well, I don't care if your son/father/loved one dies you had better be teaching this class no matter what. You know cause that's just wrong if they wont let you have a few classes off.

Sorry to hear about your Grandfather, if others need you try to be there for them.

My view on death is (at least of older fellows) is different then most. I see it as someone hitting the jackpot, or going off to disneyland!

Glad to hear he went fast, peacefully?

When I go I want a Wake.

It is ok not to take death as hard as others, so don't feel guilty just use that strenth for those who need it, peace.