HybridZ

Truth or heresay? OS Giken to finally reproduce the TC24-B1 head

I'll believe it when I see it, as we all know that people have been trying to convince them for decades:

http://speedhunters.com/archive/2010/07/27/gallery-gt-gt-a-quick-stop-os-giken.aspx

Quick exerpt: "Ok this is where people with L-series engines will faint. Finally, OS Giken has decided to do another limited production run of the TC24-B1 head! It's not quite sure how many will be produced but with such high demand anyone wanting to secure one should get in there quick!"

I'll tell you one thing, it would sure be nice! I can only imagine what pricing will be...

Edited by MazterDizazter

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OS Giken has always been ready, willing, and able to build the TC24-B1 engine for anyone that had money. Contrary to popular belief, its not just a cylinder head. The whole package includes a modified block, front timing chain setup, headers, and intake manifold. It has always been available for those that have the money and desire. These rumors are nothing new.

FYI... they also have a TC16-MA2 four cylinder engine if you're interested.

Wait, is this where the OSG fans come and support the head violently while the SOHC Fan base comes and tosses out reasons why anything other than an SOHC is a pointless expenditure and any intelligent person would know this?

Imma get a beer and some popcorn and wait until a mod cans this. It could be almost as fun as the last time this happened like six months ago.

Wait, is this where the OSG fans come and support the head violently while the SOHC Fan base comes and tosses out reasons why anything other than an SOHC is a pointless expenditure and any intelligent person would know this?

That would be my guess. Problem is none of the OSG fans has ever DRIVEN a car equipped with one, whereas I have...

"Try to get higher on the fence than THAT!" ;)

This is where I say two things: In before the lock

AND.

It would be a cool gadget to have. I've yet to actually be shown some flow tables for one of these compared to an L28 or a LY head done on the SAME flow bench (IMO, Most flow benches are like dyno's, you can make it fib the numbers ...)

Is it 20k cool? no. Being HBZ I can get a bunch of cool ENTIRE engines for 20k. Names like BMW ///M, AMG, Ferrari, etc come to mind and it's a full long block, hell maybe even a full swap. Not a head.

Like JohnC said, it's not a head, it's an engine assembly---it goes back to them protecting their interests by controlling the build so they know the head is being applied properly.

It was closer to $100K to get the 'head', it came with the long block as well...

Hey, I know, I'll get JeffP to look into it. He'll buy it! :lol:

Believe me, in no way was I trying to spark another witch hunt, I was just passing on what looked like current news. Every thread related to the TC24-B1 on this forum seems to end with "they're not making them; we've asked... Deal with it." So I was under the impression that this might be valuable info to some people. I don't recall in any of the previous threads any mention that they were available to "those that have the money and desire", or that they were sold as a complete engine unit, so that's news to me.

There's no need to argue whether the head/engine is any good or whether its worth the money. It's obviously not about performance value for those that would be interested. It's really about exclusivity. I'm sure the guy who bought the Bob Sharp Racing valve cover for $2k a couple years back wasn't thinking "boy, I'm gonna get so much horsepower from this baby!"

-Then again, maybe he was.... I dunno, guys.

Edited by MazterDizazter

" I don't recall in any of the previous threads any mention that they were available to "those that have the money and desire", or that they were sold as a complete engine unit, so that's news to me."

You obviously missed John C's post from SEMA this year then... :rolleyes:

"There's no need to argue whether the head/engine is any good or whether its worth the money. It's obviously not about performance value for those that would be interested. It's really about exclusivity. "

Like Spinners and 22" rims, right? It's not about the performance, it's about the look and style of the appliance.

I really got to spend some time scanning my 80's photos from Japan.

I think I'd RATHER have a 20k tube amp... I could get some serious MILEAGE out of a trainwreak amp!!! Shoot, even a good top hat emplexador would suite me fine.

So yea, I'm not sure I could care much less about a company wanting to reproduce old hat technology. Now, if they gave it a complete redesign to allow for larger, more efficient ports, and priced it somewhere reasonably that MIGHT get my juices flowing a little.

The market for this engine has always been tiny. I think they originally only made 7 total. There are a few people on this planet with the financial wherewithal and emotional attachment to the Z and its history that might buy a new one. OSG has always been ready and willing to service that rarefied market.

Right now, OSG makes (IMHO) the best limited slip diff in the world and most folks here think its way too expensive. Nothing has changed in 40 years. OSG is not interested in compromising their quality and standards to sell in volume.

You mean I drove one of 7 of something? Holy shites!

As for Tube Amps, I know this guy in Australia with a Tube Amp Business...(Who has an S130)

And another guy here in Riverside who is all up on reproducing old Japanese "Elk" amplifiers supposedly a copy of Fenders from the 50's... "Elk" was "Fender Japan"

But I digress, holy shikes, I drove 1 of 7... :shock:

"Try to get higher on the fence than THAT!" ;)

Ah, I think the only way to one up that is to try Brian Regan's tactic and say "I walked on the moon!"

"You know, you mentioned driving a DOHC Z car, which reminds me of when I was once driving on the Sea of Tranquility......"

whats a tube amp... does that go along with those 8-track thingies.... just turned 21 while deployed over seas. those damn young whipper snappers. The one thing about owning a Z that I love is its almost unlimited possibilities of being what ever type of car you want to make it, combined with sexy body lines.. and also in central MA I've seen only 1 other Z. Much more original then everybody with their Civics, Eclipses and celicas. Not saying they're not nice or anything, but they aint no Z.