HybridZ

Talk me out of it, if I am crazy-- M power 240?

I have built The Garage of Champions and now want a project to do out there. I loved Z cars as a kid, and recently sent my BMW 533i to the scrapyard with a kajillion little issues that were chewing away my ass like sitting on an anthill.

So today I know where an M-powered BMW is sitting (as far as I know it is M-powered, anyway- no pics yet) and my question is this: Should I grab that BMW straight six and do the conversion on either a 240, 260 or 280z? And if so which one would be easiest, considering I do not have the donor car yet. Just the engine has come up in classifieds near me.

Or should I just stick with nissan power and try to find a turbo rb25? BMW has like 300 hp in NA form.

Perhaps I am just blue-sky daydreaming, something I am prone to. That is why I wanted to talk to the good people on the forum. Thanks!

What's teh Garage of Champions? 

And which "M" power? S14,S38, S5x, S60, S65, S85? There's quite a bunch of them. It's like saying you're going to stuff an AMG motor into a Z. That narrows it down...to half a billion.

E36 and E46 esque S5x is already in process by RTz (and of course I have to beat his car   :flamedevi) but I don't think an S38 has been done yet. I would kill to see an S38Z they're one of my favorite I6's. Just remember they're LONG motors compared to their contemporaries.

And RB's are boring. Flame Suit ON.

Edited by MAG58

I would go with the nice s50/52/54 ect.. if u can afford it. us from the e30 work love those swaps. they respond very well to boost also. but as asked before. which mpower engine are u talkin about? and are u sure its actually an s5x engine? also u really need to watch out for exactly which motor it is and what year and date its from. dont wanna get somebody's scrap paper weight. its a swap thats well worth it if done right. give more info on the motor/trans combo and do some research on some of the bmw forums to learn more about the different engines. i believe there is a great thread about it on e30tech.

Sorry, I guess you are not a mind reader. It's an S38B35 as far as I can tell from a J-spec M635csi, 1989.

I don't know much about RB25 motors, but I do know that there seems to be a lot of enthusiast pressure on them which drives the price up, perhaps more than seems warranted- but like I say, I do not know much. Never even driven one. I am considering from the perspective of the conversion.

Sorry, I guess you are not a mind reader. It's an S38B35 as far as I can tell from a J-spec M635csi, 1989.

I don't know much about RB25 motors, but I do know that there seems to be a lot of enthusiast pressure on them which drives the price up, perhaps more than seems warranted- but like I say, I do not know much. Never even driven one. I am considering from the perspective of the conversion.

Yes. This motor needs to go into a Z. Just be farwarned. They're expensive. That nonwithstanding, they're amazing. 

Do it. Do it now.

3.5L Of gorgeous Group A derivied I6 German love? Or the RB25. 

Though the motor is excellent, I've been reading about the motors a bit and though you could probably fit one in an S30, the question is: Is it your best choice for a swap. Really it's your $ and your car so it's up to you in the end. None of us are going to stop you. Our job is to keep you from having trouble during your swap by providing suggestions and educated guidance from our own experience/mistakes. So If you're convinced this is the right engine for you, then I'd say go for it. But keep in mind there may be better choices out there.

If you're going to do a swap, then there's some things you may want to consider first. One is the cost, you usually take whatever you budgeted for the cost and double it for a good starting point. Second, when finding the engine for your swap, do your best to get the donor engine and the WHOLE CAR it came from. This will save you literally hundreds of headaches in the long run, and if possible, see the engine run before you pull it from the donor car. we've all heard the stories of buying an engine, putting it in and going to start it, then findin out it's got internal issues. Third, Read read read, Get the manual, read it, read all you can about how the engine works, and what is going to be needed to make it run. What electronics are involved? Read about similar swaps, and read about the donor models to see what issues are common just with the donors. READ about the S30, and what it's going to take to integrate the systems between the two. Read about Fuel injection, and what types there are, and know what your donor engine uses. Knowledge is your friend. If you learn about what you're doing, it'll go much more smoothly when you actually get to turn the wrenches.

Phar

Well buddy finally wrote me back. His 'M-power' totalled bmw m6 somehow does not have an S38 in it. But it is still worth 3500.00 CAD, oddly.

Waste of time. I want a big inline six, but it would be nice to figure out one that is actually obtainable. All these high-mileage cars, wrecked, that are worth 3000 tp 4000 bucks because they are basically an engine sitting there that people want.

What about a 5-series BMW six, 3.5 litre, and then I bolt a turbo on? That way I could probably find an intact car, harness and all, and it would likely have a 5-speed already. Plug a Megasquirt or Wolf ignition and EFI control, and I am in business.

I know I'll get jumped on for this, but how about a Jeep engine, 4.0L HO EFI jeep engine... It would have tons of torque, so you could have longer gears. It's roughly the same size as the S30 L28 engine. You'll definitely want to use something other than the AX15 tranny Jeeps use, because the gears are lower, that is unless you want to drift your Z. Maybe a 6sp 350Z tranny could be made to work?

Sounds like you're pretty set on a Beemer engine tho. So this was just a suggestion.

I know I'll get jumped on for this, but how about a Jeep engine, 4.0L HO EFI jeep engine... It would have tons of torque, so you could have longer gears. It's roughly the same size as the S30 L28 engine. You'll definitely want to use something other than the AX15 tranny Jeeps use, because the gears are lower, that is unless you want to drift your Z. Maybe a 6sp 350Z tranny could be made to work?

Sounds like you're pretty set on a Beemer engine tho. So this was just a suggestion.

Iron block, iron head. She's a heavy one. Ask me how I know! [Just pulled my HO after breaking 3 bolts off in the block on the passenger's side mount]

Also, it's not that much torques..

http://www.edmunds.com/used/1992/jeep/cherokee/3600/specs.html

But who knows, maybe throw a terbeaux on there and it's a beast!

Edited by FlatBlack

I know this is slightly off-topic, but since he has a big garage with lots of space and wants a German motor:

Would it be theoretically possible to fit a Porsche flat-6 in a Z? MR Turbo Z...

I don't know how much fabrication that would require, definitely beyond my skill level.

• Administrators

For those interested, here is a running S52 for sale, pulled from a ’97 M3 sedan that is receiving an LSx conversion located in Portland OR, (deja-vu). Yes local to us, no we do not know him nor have we met, yet, :wink: just found it for sale a few minutes ago.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1502748

Price is fair for a good S52. :2thumbs: