HybridZ

Wheel rubbing, help! ***PICS***

Hey guys,

Well I finally got around to dropping my 240z just a tad bit so I don't look like a monster truck (hehe :D), but now I'm running into the problem I've always had, but I think I'm close to beating it.

I am running 16x8 225 tires on the front and rear. As far as I can tell, the fronts clear fine, no issues. The back is another story. It looks like if I just roll my fenders a little bit, I could fit them, but I'm not 100% sure. I DO NOT want ZG flares, I would kill myself for cutting these beautiful quarters. Do you guys think if I rolled the fenders, these tires will fit?

Here is the stance I'm looking for:

perfectclearance432.jpg

Here is where I'm at:

IMG_20100809_222627.jpg

IMG_20100809_230033.jpg

IMG_20100809_230039.jpg

IMG_20100809_230047.jpg

Thanks guys!

Edited by jacob80

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm having a local guy look at it tomorrow to get his opinion as to whether or not he thinks it'll help.

To me, it looks so close, like it will work if I just roll that inner lip. I DO NOT want to, by any means, flare the fenders with the tool.

I do have a question though: Does sitting in the car/pushing down on the back of the car have the same effect on wheel as if I was going around a corner at the track?

What I'm trying to do is perhaps sit in the car and have someone push down on the back bumper and see if I can squat it down enough to be able to tell if it will clear. At the same time, I'm not sure if this would duplicate the type of squatting of the car/rolling of the car as if I was going around a hard turn.

Just trying to make sure things will clear!

Alright guys,

Tonight, I went ahead and brought the car down some more so that you can get a better idea of where I am in relation to the tire. It seems as though the passenger side quarter isn't in the same spot as the driver side, but I do know they are not original fenders, so I'm not surprised. Here you go!

102_9169.jpg

102_9170.jpg

102_9171.jpg

102_9172.jpg

102_9173.jpg

102_9148.jpg

102_9150.jpg

102_9151.jpg

102_9152.jpg

102_9153.jpg

102_9154.jpg

102_9155.jpg

102_9160.jpg

102_9161.jpg

102_9162.jpg

102_9163.jpg

102_9164.jpg

102_9165.jpg

102_9166.jpg

102_9167.jpg

In the last photo, you can tell where the lip is contacting the tire surface.

Tires are Kuhmo Ecsta 225/50/16 0 offset

Personally, I want to say they will fit, but I have zero experience with tire fitment and these will be my first.

Edited by jacob80

Yep. You're gonna have to roll your rear fenders.

I have your same setup — 225's on 16x8 XXR's. I got a local Z shop to roll mine in order for it to not rub, but be warned that your fender lips WILL warp a bit.

What do you mean by warp? Will I be able to notice this? The lip will be rolled up inside, so if that part is warped, it shouldn't matter, correct?

I REALLY want to be careful not to have paint crack or mess up the quarters in any way.

Do you track your car? This will be a car that will be on the track, so I want to make sure it won't rub at all.

There is another issue to consider, rubbing inside the wheel well once you clear the lip.Ask me how I know!!!!!!!

I am running 17x8.5 with +4 offset with 245/45/17 tires. I cleared the lip once I

modified it with some cutting, but now the tire sidewall rubbs on the curvature of the wheel well(right above the lip). My car has 1" lowering springs. Being that your offset is 0 you are out further then me, but I have wider tires,so it will be close.

What I did was remove the spring and ran the tire all the way up in the well with a 235/45/17 and it cleared. Then I got greedy and went for 245's. You need to allow for buldging of the tire under load.

That's the thing, its hard to simulate that unless you're actually on the track. So many variables!

It looks like it'll clear well if I just roll that inside lip. We'll see though. I guess I'm just going to go ahead and roll them.

Yeah, smaller side walls or smaller widths, also you could probably clear those with some negative camber.

Looks more aggressive, but wears the tires unevenly.

Up to you really, what you are going for (look wise).

Car looks great by the way.

-Lindsey

Edited by rwdawg2

Thanks!

The car will be a weekend warrior/track car. We will be installing camber plates eventually, but I've revised my thinking.

For the track, we will be using Diamond Racing Pro 15" wheels (15x7, 0 offset, 3.5" backspacing) with 225/50/15 tires and HOPEFULLY that'll clear the fender and help us to avoid rolling the fenders (which I REALLY do not want to do!).

As for the wheels now, I think we'll deal with it until we install some camber plates OR we will need to go with a 45 series tire.

The Eastwood fender roller will be at my doorstep tomorrow, I'm glad I've decided not to roll the fenders! :D

The backspacing will be a little more than 3.5" since your measuring to the outside of the rim. I haven't really measured for wheel fitment but with those 8" wide rims you may have been able to get something with a slightly positive offset and cleared it just fine. Like a +13mm would move the wheel a 1/2" in, that's if you have enough clearance behind it.

Why do you want to go 7" for the track?

I was told by John C. that certain events call for certain wheel size and he mentioned that SCCA ITS calls for a 15x7 size wheel. I also do not want to roll the fenders, so the decrease in width will help me accomplish that.

Makes sense, definitely helpful knowledge.

• 1 month later...

i would stretch a tire before i rolled a fender, dont know your setup but i know i had -15 or so 8's on my z (which was loowww) and could only runn 225-50-15s or for sure a 205-60-15 (and some brand) 215-60-15s, but id stretch a tire (obviously not extremely like a 205 on a 10inch rim, but a smaller size vs worrying about rolling a fender, kinking a 1/4, breaking/flaking/scratching paint...etc

My current setup Yokohama AVS ES-100, 15x7.5 +5 Front (no problems here)... 15x8.5 -5 Rear (Minor minor wheel rub inner left fender)... so I'll roll the inner lip a bit... not worried about the outside... plenty of clearance there for now

225/50R15 Yoko AVS-ES100.. That's about as much stretch as I want without going 205 (YUCK!)