HybridZ

Forced induction USING air compressor?

xShodaimex

Hey guys.. I had an idea about using a few air compressors and shootin it through the intake. Not sure if anyone has tried it but I was wondering what you guys think about it. I know it may sound stupid but I just wanna know if you guys think it will work or not. Thanks. I also included a picture! hahaha

aircompressorinduction.jpg The levers will be somewhere near the driver and the tanks secured safely elsewhere. This is like a one time thing since you will run out of air, but its air. Was readin book Maximum boost by corky bell and this idea came up.

Edited by xShodaimex

far from haveing enough air... the tank would have to be huge!!! think of the size of the charge piping alone.. its charged at say factory 7 psi(approx) that piping would be pretty close to the equavelient of one tank.. but the air is only there for a amazingly short time... so if you charge 4 pretty good sized air tanks with say 150psi... if you found a way to discharge them in say 5 seconds it might reash 2-3 psi.... which with the added weight of the tanks etc.... you would have what you had before, without the tanks in the car... for about 5 seconds..... so in short.. it wouldn't work..... now nitrous on the other hand.. comes compressed in a bottle, and could be purchased with everything needed to install for ah say... 300$ thats new, but budget, and decent product.... now thats a tank worth filling!!!! 75 hp on tap.... good luck, keep thinking

(SIGH)

This is a doable idea, and the concept is proven. Using 'amplifiers' --- volume enhancing devices for compressed air --- it IS possible to give the engine several PSI of boost for limited periods of time (we are talking seconds here).

It's a lot of work for a very short duration boost of power. Passing, drag racing cheater system, etc. With the use of SCUBA-style tanks, the boost can be higher and longer making prodigious jumps of power. stpracinz is nowhere close in his calculations, mainly becasue it won't work at all without the amplifiers. Otherwise, you have to get a fueling system which will accomodate it, more cost on something you want on a budget I'm guessing.

The guy in Florida that wrote the book about using the Magnesium Replacement Impellers for Toro Leaf Blowers as belt-driven superchargers for small engines (below 3 liters) has another book on making the air amplifiers, as well as some stuff using CO2 bottles similarly. I didn't read into the CO2 stuff. Generally the Compressed Air stuff is for street racers who will claim to be N/A and have no NOS...but still have something up their sleeve. Everybody has air bags today right? Explains the big tank in the trunk! ;)

Can't use levers, need to use fast reacting solenoids and ASCO or Aquamatic Valves. Like you got on the Air Bag "Jumper Set" cars with the weeping women murals and 45 degree mudflaps with 13" wide whitewalls...

Don't read too much Corky. It leads you down a paradigmed path which is damned boring!

Oh, yeah, I forgot... you can use your A/C pump to refill the tanks. Those will return close to 15cfm at 235psig at the flip of a switch. That will refill onboard storage pretty quickly.

Andy Flagg put into the public domain some years ago a plan whereby you disabled cylinders on a small car's engine and use the 'off' cylinders as superchargers for the running cylinders. It involves storage tanks for some volume. The engine is running around in his Civic 3-valve engine. It uses stored pressure for impulse supercharging of the power cylinders for accelleration assistance.

Some stuff you never think will work never will because you didn't think it would. ;)

lets use this as an example..

I have a 60 gallon 1/2 horsepower compressor that maybe flows 90psi at 10 CFM.

A descent 3.0L engine with 100% volumetric efficiency can pull up to 1,300 CFM

Its not possible to have any beneficial gains with a small compressor. Now recycling exhaust gases to generate positive pressure in the engine is free power.. turbochargers are awesome.

Haha this is sort of funny to me because I'm doing a little project with my go kart to make it run completely off compressed air. Yeah I know its not practical or very efficent, but it gives me something to do and I want to test some ideas I have also.

Why not, if you can store enough compressed air. I still would like to see it go 200miles like they claim.

I should say 200km, that makes more sense. Either way I would like to see it do 200km, a 124miles is still plenty.

Edited by goodoldjam

Why not, if you can store enough compressed air. I still would like to see it go 200miles like they claim.

The reason I believe it won't is because the designers are being wasteful by letting air out the exhaust instead of capturing it and using it to compress the tanks. It would be like a Air compressor running of air to make air, probably wouldn't be very efficent but working along side a compressor it would be better then just wasting it out into the air. That is just my opinion though.

The reason I believe it won't is because the designers are being wasteful by letting air out the exhaust instead of capturing it and using it to compress the tanks. It would be like a Air compressor running of air to make air, probably wouldn't be very efficent but working along side a compressor it would be better then just wasting it out into the air. That is just my opinion though.

:blink:

I can't tell if you're joking, but, if you're not....

Yeah I was thinking about using it on my buddy's 3 cylinder geo metro. I stepped on the accelerator full throttle and it went practically no where. Took forever to reach highway speed. Lmao. Anyways thanks for all the replys guys. I didn't think it would work but its just an idea.

Edited by xShodaimex

Andy Flagg put into the public domain some years ago a plan whereby you disabled cylinders on a small car's engine and use the 'off' cylinders as superchargers for the running cylinders. It involves storage tanks for some volume. The engine is running around in his Civic 3-valve engine. It uses stored pressure for impulse supercharging of the power cylinders for accelleration assistance.

Check this out. That concept works pretty well. http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2009/01/12/ducati-v-one-twin-to-supercharged-single-conversion/