HybridZ

My 240 rb26 build

ZT-R

I personally think an OS30 is a waste of money, a well balanced STRAIGHT stock crank and bearing clearances set on the looser side of the stock clearance will be fine.. Engines fail for a reason, its not because the components used were not good enough.. oil squirters are pointless in a motor using forged pistons, and are actually removed from lots of engine builds.. 

The block strength doesn't come into play with the power you were making/potentially could have made.. The T04Z on an RB30 would be lucky to get to 750whp and you were not even pushing it hard from what i have read..

I would get another crank, locate a GOOD machine shop and get your hands dirty, Having RIPS build you a motor from across the world seems a bit ridiculous, no reason a machinist locally couldn't handle the job. 

I hope you stay on the RB30 train, you have a very nice setup and car. Keep this next motor simple, you don't need a fully countered crank or a deck plated N1 block etc to make the power your after. 

I personally think an OS30 is a waste of money, a well balanced STRAIGHT stock crank and bearing clearances set on the looser side of the stock clearance will be fine.. Engines fail for a reason, its not because the components used were not good enough.. oil squirters are pointless in a motor using forged pistons, and are actually removed from lots of engine builds.. 

The block strength doesn't come into play with the power you were making/potentially could have made.. The T04Z on an RB30 would be lucky to get to 750whp and you were not even pushing it hard from what i have read..

I would get another crank, locate a GOOD machine shop and get your hands dirty, Having RIPS build you a motor from across the world seems a bit ridiculous, no reason a machinist locally couldn't handle the job. 

I hope you stay on the RB30 train, you have a very nice setup and car. Keep this next motor simple, you don't need a fully countered crank or a deck plated N1 block etc to make the power your after. 

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

• 2 weeks later...

Just going to put it back together and blow it up.

9510894277_341982fe76_b.jpg

Here I am deburring the block. I should have took more pics of this before. As far as castings go it was pretty flaky. I the corner you could drag a pick over it and get shavings/casting grit, whatever you want to call it to come off.

9513685876_d8a4858132_b.jpg

9513688382_a9f26e8b7a_b.jpg

9510900195_2a86aa85b4_b.jpg

Mains back together, everthing was mixed down to the tens of thousands and confirmed by plastiguage, just to be sure.

9513690574_1ec3f53a9c_b.jpg

2-5 rods back in, kept number 6 out so i could balance the new rod to the old ones. The new rod was 4 grams heavier. Now its 0 grams heavier. Builders typically call within 4 grams "Balanced".

9510902747_e85696bff0_b.jpg

Quick laugh using my "Specialty" dead blow. Kind of Ironic looking.

9513692992_05219a0204_b.jpg

Number one after 20+ mic jobs by me and double checked by 4 other machinist. we found 2 tenths of a thousdanth of taper that was it. no out of round or anything.

9513694088_fe924dbf45_b.jpg

This was the loosest. Everything elese was .00018 vs .00020, which is really what i would rather see on all of them with this big ass tomei oil pump. 

Number 1 rod was plastigauged every 45 degrees of rotation too, cause why not...

9510905547_140e6d6d2d_b.jpg

All ring gaps where checked while at it. All good.

9513696206_b5313deec7_b.jpg

RB's are great engines and are very durable I know your not really believing this right now, but there are lots of people out there doing it big on stock blocks even and having great luck. 

My Built RB25 has been together for 3 years now, it doesn't have any issues! I beat it quite regularly and rev it to 8500 RPM its got 12k miles on the clock.. doesn't leak burn or smoke a drop of oil.. i've broken a R200 pinion and buggered up a couple insert springs in the trans but no motor issues.. I built my motor in my garage with all the machine work done local.. I've built quite a few engines so i have some experience at it...I'm no PRO either, but have a little confidence buddy!!

Is a 2JZ a better engine? Yes, for someone looking north of 1kwhp id say so.. but there really not much cheaper to build IMO

What are you going to do with the oiling setup? 

Keeping everything how it was. I took out 1 washer in the oil pump to bump the pressure back up a hair. The Tomei pump flows alot of oil. Without any washers under the bolt (not shims under the spring to increase pressure), it would idle at about 85 psi and be above 100 at anything over idle. i put like 4 washers on it and got the pressure down to about 45 at idle and 80 at a 2700rpm cruise. Nothing much more I can do with the oil upgrades undles I went with a Ross external setup which I dont think I want to do, keep my ac.

You had over 100psi of oil pressure at anything over idle? That's way too much no wonder the bottom end was shot. You sucked every bit of oil out of the pan. I would put money on that you were causing cavitation or foaming the oil. Not good. The oil pump can't flow foam.

I have a Tomei pump myself, i installed it how it came out of the box.. i get about 25psi at a hot Idle and about 60psi at a 3k cruise

That's normal oil pressure.

At over 100 psi I'm surprised you haven't blown any oil filters up. I've seen one go @120 psi and that was a mess. It was a crappy fram filter.

That's normal oil pressure.

At over 100 psi I'm surprised you haven't blown any oil filters up. I've seen one go @120 psi and that was a mess. It was a crappy fram filter.

Yes that's normal, however i don't have 4 washers shimming the pump.. something is goofy there.. Doesn't it only come with 3 washers all of them different thickness? i cant remember.

There is no reason to have anything more than 80-90 psi max RPM hot oil pressure..

I also don't get how it lowered oil pressure at an idle... those shims are for the relief valve if i'm not mistaken

Edited by flatrate