HybridZ

Prices of 240Z in Europe

240zip

thats why i have a few guys overseas that i sell to on a regular basis. They actually like these cars and because of the rarity they pay for it but when i can sell them a complete nice car for 10k vs their 20k over there or 5k over here/locally, it definately shows why everyone is happy lol

I will ready my cars for overseas sales then. My experience here with Z people is that usually are very cheap and unwilling pay for things. My buddy is into VWs Bugs and he said that most SoCal Bugs that are in great shape end up in Europe. The dollar is losing strength.

I was living in Sweden and imported a car there (it was an MG Midget). They loved the fact that it was a rust-free car and a convertible (completely impractical). One weird thing happened on the container ship. When I got the car in the port, it had the freeze plugs popped. A real pain to put back in at the port. I suspect they were looking for something inside my engine block.

Or the ship went through freezing weather and you were inadequately mixed on the anti-freeze!

Or it could be MG Craftsmanship...

I too sell cars into Europe. Appreciation of a rust free chassis is there, and so is a true love of marque and expendable income. I would feel better selling a beloved car into an enthusiasts hands there or Japan simply because they have a committment to preservation and usually the means to achieve it. Here, it's just fodder...

But make no mistake, the financial incentives exist there to run around in an old car. Usually they are exempt from taxation...a BIG incentive for a second car! Coming from America where everybody seems to have a car, you don't really appreciate how much of a luxury it is in most of the rest of the world! It can be VERY expensive to own cars outside the USA. People complain about what they pay here, but they have no idea what it's like in places like Japan, Singapore, or even some of the 'more enlightened and socially concious' portions of Europe!

In Finland (another place I haunt) they have a real appreciation for older American cars. Actually Finns just plain love cars and racing. What I don't quite get is the whole gas issue. I mean gas costs like $7 to $8 a gallon. That's one reason you see these 1.2L engines. And older American cars are lucky to get 12 MPG in a free fall. The final issue is with speeding tickets. It's tied to your income. So rich tycoons of industry really get soaked for minor speeding tickets.

I too sell cars into Europe. Appreciation of a rust free chassis is there, and so is a true love of marque and expendable income. I would feel better selling a beloved car into an enthusiasts hands there or Japan simply because they have a committment to preservation and usually the means to achieve it. Here, it's just fodder...

Indeed. Though there are many here that want to preserve them, it seems there are also many that are willing to hack them up in a heart beat with no respect for the car, at least from what I've seen. I'm relatively new to Z cars still. Edited by rturbo 930

A rust free original 240Z sells for ~A$15000, a really nice one for ~A$20000 in AU, at the moment thats the same in US$. Not a big market but its there, while a lot of Datsun owners are still cheaparses there are those prepared to spend a bit. We drive on the right side of the road so no left hand jivers for us but that makes us sooooo JDM ;)

I understand some Finnish and have native speakers in my home - we have absolutely no idea what 'Buska Paa' means. The only thing I could think of was musta paa which could be something like 'black daddy' and that just doesn't seem right. But technically 'daddy' is isi not Paa in Finnish so I'm at a loss. From a language perspective 'buska' is much more Polish than Finno-Urgic. We just don't have words that sound like that.

Finnish slang is rather difficult to translate. There are multiple ways of saying that phrase. Likewise with Swedish. In Swedish you can say, 'lend me some steel so I can chin some meat' and that's like 'give me a buck so I can buy a burger'. Often Finns will swear in English. Very few curse works in Finnish. Finns have an interesting sense of humor. Saying it's dry is an understatement. But they're great hosts. But I can say that about nearly every country I've worked in. Sweden, Finland, Russia, Moldova, Japan. Japan is nice, I'm just not into the 12 hour work day and 6 day work week. And 12 hours a day was considered light.

6 Day work week in Japan at 12 hours a day? :blink:

How do I get those kushy hours????????????

My Japanese Hosts never seem to have much time for anything but work, and that schedule sounds like a breeze compared to some of the last trips I've taken there. I think in 3 months on the ground I've had 5 total days off, four of those were over Thanksgiving when they insisted I be in-country on standby because the customer required me there.... and in fact I could have easily gone home to family for the holiday and been back undetected. And one day where there was nothing to do...so I rented a car on a 20 year old SOFA license and went driving for the day.

All things automotive are astonishingly more expensive overseas than in the U.S… car purchase price, registration, maintenance, gasoline, and so forth. Exhibit A is Singapore. They have a sort of lottery and waiting list for the privilege of being allowed to operate a car on public roads. The price of that “registration stamp†fluctuates with the economy, and since their economy is doing well, that stamp is now astronomically expensive. One of my hosts was driving a Lexus RX350 (the Camry-based SUV)… which cost him $150K Sing (about $110K USD). But incomes, for comparable work, really are not any higher in Singapore than the are in the U.S. Exhibit B is the UK. New cars retail for roughly twice as much as in the U.S. – and that’s after the British Pound declined from $2 USD to its current level of around $1.55 USD. And their gasoline is around 1 Pound per liter….which works out to around $6 at the present exchange rates, with the strong dollar.

I am ceaselessly amazed in my travels, how in most of the developed world outside of the US, people earn less money, pay higher taxes, pay more for the same products than we do – and yet, they’re not really in debt and appear to enjoy a reasonable standard of living. How does the arithmetic work out?

Well as far as Finland is concerned, they don't have to worry about health care and retirement. And people tend to have fewer cars. On Japan, the person working 12 hours a day did say he was working 1/2 time now that he was older and established. It was a joke, but I knew that managers worked insane (like 18 hour) work days there. I was given the opportunity for an assignment there and turned it down. Sweden was a better assignment. When I worked more than 8 hours a day my manager asked me to work less because she was concerned I was working too hard. Let's face it ... we have it lucky in America and from a car perspective, there really isn't a better place to live. The Aussies have it pretty nice, but having traveled a bit, I'm always glad to be back in the old USA albeit in an old Japanese car ...

Old car are a luxury hobby in Europe. So price gets crazy but adds are not always what you can get for the car shown.

An exemple with my Z (never restored, AZ shell almost rust free, rebuilt interior & motor). I bought it 8k$ with tons of parts back when I lived in MI, it is worth over 20k€ in Europe.

What's really difficult to get here in Europe are parts for Datsuns. HBZ community however is really a great help to compensate for it but if you don't know English, you're on your own... So some will sell (I should say "hope to sell") Z's at premium cost for that matter.

Income are also different, mine has lost almost 40% moving back to France but I have insurance for health, unemployment safety (80% of my income would be paid by the state for 18 months), job safety (kind of..), 7 weeks of vacations per year, almost free lunches paid by company, etc. So there's a trade off to make at the end & money isn't everything (but I won't complain if I could get more :) )

Edited by Lazeum

I still nod toward the Col. Kurtz scenarios...

Though, if you were in MI, I can see why France is an acceptable alternative. They only pay 60% in MI for 12 months... :D

hahaha! that's good one :D

I moved right before incomes decreased. Unfortunately it's kind of true. They've cut jobs and salaries for a lot of people. I'm not also talking about benefits (a lot have moved from employee to being contractors they've lost money, retirement plans, insurance, etc...)

The good move for me was they've paid for the transportation of my Z from MI to France :)