HybridZ

Eighth Winter Storm

cygnusx1

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The romance of snow dissipates quickly. By the second or third storm, the spark is gone, and all that’s left is marital strife.

Here in southwest Ohio the total snowfall has been moderate this season, but the cold has been sufficient to maintain almost uninterrupted snow cover from mid-December through the present. The combination of the length of my driveway and my laziness means that it (my driveway) remains unplowed. Yesterday I pulled the M3 out of hibernation for a brief jaunt to get the engine oil warmed up. Well, I ended up getting stuck in my own driveway – had to call AAA to pull me out! My present daily driver, a 1991 Miata, does fine in the snow/sleet/ice with snow tires – light car, decent traction. Even so, rural commutes are unpleasant. Any bridge or overpass could be iced over, and even with moderate snow cover there are drifts onto the roads from the various farm fields.

Winter is supposedly a great time to get car work accomplished – but not in an unheated garage! You can bundle up to remain more or less comfortable, but skin sticking to wrenches isn’t a comfy feeling. Gloves, you say? Yes, but gloves soaked in coolant and oil aren’t comfortable either, unless you crave that sticky clammy feeling on your palms.

Super LOL moment here in Texas. A lot of school districts here in the DFW area are closing for tomorrow............ and it's currently 50º and raining. They've become softies to the weather. I never got that treatment!

EDIT:

I just got that treatment. I'm sad. Was looking forward to banging out a test tomorrow. Now all the answers are going to seep out.

Edited by josh817

Looks like it's gonna start snowing at 5am, then turn to freezing rain, and then switch to rain at 8 and rain the rest of the day. I'm actually hoping I don't have school canceled, I've only got these classes two days a week, and I missed them once last week because of snow already. It's getting tiresome.

Super LOL moment here in Texas. A lot of school districts here in the DFW area are closing for tomorrow............ and it's currently 50º and raining. They've become softies to the weather. I never got that treatment!

I have friends that live 30 miles north of me and their school was canceled because of the temperature and its an alternative school. It's supposed to be a high of 0 degrees there tomorrow and a high of -3 and a low of -23 where I live and that doesn't include windchill but I was still surprised they would cancel due to the cold. When I lived in missouri we would get snow for a week or too or it would be -10 or below for a week straight and I never got a snow day for it. <_<

Wow I need a seat at that bar right now. I just got off my roof because one of the rooms in my house began smelling like wet wood. That is never good. I had to take a hatchet and bust up a few channels in the ice dams. We got the worse case scenario here. Freezing rain and melting temps with 2' of snow on the roof...and tonight it will go down to 15 degrees. The house is taking a serious beating. I have been in this house for 15 years and never once considered Southern Cali as a place to live, but I am now thinking about the Southwest. I am at the end of my rope. An entire bag of calcium chloride on my driveway made zero difference to the ice crust. There is about 3/4" of ice covering the entire driveway, and everything else, and I cannot move it. On a positive note...the Z shed is still standing and we still have power.

Edited by cygnusx1