HybridZ

Superbowl Rant (Why the NFL and MBA's suck

Tony D

Gotta love the NFL restricting any sort of TV access on the web to only USA.

I rarely watch their overhyped, BS games anyway, and when I found that my team The Packers somehow landed in a birth for the big game it was a suprise.

So not that I'm in the USA where I can watch it, or in any large city like shanghai where I can go to a bar at 6AM to catch the game. I'm in someplace that JUST HAPPENS to not have one of the TWO asian cable channels carrying the game.

No problem, it's a FREE TV EVENT RIGHT? I'll just pick up a stream on the INTERNET...

WRONG, two days ago all the low bandwidth sites are seized. Ad if the fu*king government has nothing better to do than shut down superbowl streaming sites.

So now, I go to the NFL.COM site, which I have been able to watch games from before only to find they RESTRICT ACCESS to ONLY WITHIN THE USA.

This has about put the final nail in the coffin for these greedy bastards. I'm sick of the way rule changes have corrupted an already corrupted game, and now the pernicious forces of greed and 'not leaving money on the table' have effectively restricted the content to ONLY where they want it to be. Congratulations you arsewipes---you have taken a book straight out of Microsoft's playbook. Great idea keep the game from people who WANT to see it.

The NFL makes me puke. And the people running the league make me wretch even more. Lambeau and Rooney would roll over in their graves to see their traditions and their teams associated with such a fu.ked group of individuals. This latest revelation, abomination... disgusting. :angry::angry::angry:

:angry::angry::angry:

:angry::angry::angry:

That sucks. You know, they opened the parking lot up at the game so people could tailgate outside and watch the game on a big screen from... outside the superbowl... only... $200 a ticket!!! To top it off, they were looking for locals to volunteer to help run the big event. Really? Volunteers? I'll volunteer, for $20,000.

Packer fan here from Michigan. Sorry you missed the game.

Travelling so much, I'd recommend a VPN service. Either through the company you work for or some websites offer pay services. I know some people who either live in other countries or travel a lot and use this to play online games/use services on US servers. The advantage of doing this is a VPN is secured traffic, which gets priority over regular traffic. Plus it's nice to surf in a foreign country and know all your web surfing is secured.

Eh you didnt miss much of a game anyways.

Oh but did you hear how so many people got gypped out of there seats today?

Yes but from what I've read they were reimburse with 3 times the ticket amount...Tickets worth $800 and you receive $2400. Wish I bought a ticket to make a quick $1600. Even if I loved football, flew from out of state, all that jive, $1600 would cover that. Unless you REALLY want to complain about having to watch your game on a TV while you chill out on a free (probably make money off of it) "vacation", then ehhhh I see no problem officer. Of course inconvenience does suck and at most a few hours of anger. Sue for emotional distress and make even more money.

Then again, I only read this so what do I know? Money shuts people up. Don't know if that shows sincerity of a screw up or some sort of bad character... I DO get kind of mad when I'm ranting about something and my mom says "here's $5 go eat".

That sucks. You know, they opened the parking lot up at the game so people could tailgate outside and watch the game on a big screen from... outside the superbowl... only... $200 a ticket!!! To top it off, they were looking for locals to volunteer to help run the big event. Really? Volunteers? I'll volunteer, for $20,000.

<_< SCCA doesn't pay corner working staff anything. The clubs that do pay give a small amount which isn't meant to go into your pocket rather it's meant to pay for your gas and hotel stay. So basically if you want to be a nice guy, see cool cars up close, smell the exhaust, etc. yet pay for your travel costs and if you decide to stay in a hotel pay for that too, then I guess it's great. Likewise, if you want to see a bunch of dudes park their cars in a lot and.... walk around the stadium on your own time/expense...? then I suppose that too is a good deal. If they didn't feed you lunch and dinner then for sure they're way worse than SCCA! LOL

As a poor college student I work racing club events. They pay me, I sleep in a tent which I don't mind, and I come back with a little bit of cash, a tan if I resemble a vampire especially this time of the year, and a fun weekend around the cars. They feed me a breakfast which I sometimes confuse as a buffet as well as catered lunch and dinner/beer/soda.

There are a few young people that work but most are older experienced guys. This means they're watching their cholesterol AKA more donuts left over for breakfast. This one 60 year old guy I work with snags all the uneaten donuts back to his corner. We feast upon our loot. If rations are slim we stuff our pockets to hold us until lunch. If you're going to pocket stuff it's better to do it with pigs-in-a-blanket because they keep you warm when it's cold and then you keep them warm when they cool off. During lunch they typically have something sweet like cookies or candy which you once again hoard to hold you off until dinner. As you can see, it would be advantageous to utilize a jacket with many pockets. Or you could just bring your own food and not be a heathen.....

On race weekends I grocery shop for only 5 days because I know they will take care of my endless pit of abyss, also called my stomach. :rolleyes: Lemons and Chump Car races you can typically walk around the pits at dinner time and force teams to feed you some of their BBQ or you will black flag them. It's actually recommended to blackmail the teams in such a way, give them a hard time. :icon14: :icon14: :icon14: :icon14: :icon14:

I've got this down to a science. B)

Edited by josh817

Hmmmm... so now I'm curious who else doesn't like football? I don't watch it either.

I had to last night as there was nothing to do when your trapped at the mother-in-laws house and EVERYONE is huge Steelers fan. (Read all my emails, made stupid comments to my sister-in-law, played pool with my son, ate food, my wife’s family drama, etc.)

I did get a small laugh over the fact they lost. My brother in law was so upset he turned the TV off with 30 seconds to go. Talk about awkward silence.

There wouldn't be an akward silence for me, I'd be to busy laughing on the floor. I dont mind the sport, I can't stand the fact that professional athletes are payed so much.

Figure out how to do something that as many people want to watch and that generates as much income, and you too will be paid similarly. Good luck to you. Now you could make the case that college athletes are getting the shaft, but the pros are definitely earning their crazy salaries.

I'm not a football fan, but I usually watch the SB. I thought this one was pretty good. Not a blow out by any stretch, and there have been last minute drives in previous SB's that made this one a contest right up to the end.

I thought it was a good game on both sides. Definitely a nail biter down to the end.

They used to do a team salary cap in football, but they ended that policy in 2010 according to Wikipedia. I liked it, because it prevented one team from buying a dream team. I prefer NFL to MLB or Nascar any day. Although I've seen an increase in bad ref calls in all professional sports over the past decade or so, which to me yells corruption and game fixing. Behavior of such celebrities gets me too. Michael Vick is a hell of a quarterback, but he should NOT be playing in the NFL. He lost his privilege to be a professional high paid athlete, no room for discussion. So much corruption in sports. /endrant

More along the lines of the OP, I think it was Japan that banned the use of Slingbox to extend your own programming from home. One of the issues is companies want to make money off from every aspect of their product, but want to also control the how you receive and use your service. Even if they don't offer the ability to use their service in a certain way, they don't think their PAYING customers have the right to do with it what they want. Unless they can get their hands in it. We see this all over the technology world. The just don't get it, we are willing to pay for it, but don't tell us what we can and can't do with it. Then they wonder while we steal it in the first place...

c9030e2b_45de_f3e0.jpg

So let's just say you arbitrarily cap salaries again. Then what? If the team makes $1.8B like the Cowboys (http://www.forbes.co...s-10-intro.html), and you cap the salaries, then the team owner Jerry Jones gets richer, but the guys who actually play the game are forcibly prevented from sharing in the profits they helped to create? WTF kind of sense does that make?

Edited by JMortensen

The only sports my Dad ever had on TV were the Olympics.

Once and a while motorcylce racing.

I played some sports, nothing very organized.

Today, I have no interest in watching sports.

I can't appreciate/understand all the conjecture/arm chair coaching

that goes on. I'm totaly lost.

Give Me something CONSTRUCTIVE to do with my time. :D

Yes but from what I've read they were reimburse with 3 times the ticket amount...Tickets worth $800 and you receive $2400. Wish I bought a ticket to make a quick $1600. Even if I loved football, flew from out of state, all that jive, $1600 would cover that. Unless you REALLY want to complain about having to watch your game on a TV while you chill out on a free (probably make money off of it) "vacation", then ehhhh I see no problem officer. Of course inconvenience does suck and at most a few hours of anger. Sue for emotional distress and make even more money.

Then again, I only read this so what do I know? Money shuts people up. Don't know if that shows sincerity of a screw up or some sort of bad character... I DO get kind of mad when I'm ranting about something and my mom says "here's $5 go eat".

<_< SCCA doesn't pay corner working staff anything. The clubs that do pay give a small amount which isn't meant to go into your pocket rather it's meant to pay for your gas and hotel stay. So basically if you want to be a nice guy, see cool cars up close, smell the exhaust, etc. yet pay for your travel costs and if you decide to stay in a hotel pay for that too, then I guess it's great. Likewise, if you want to see a bunch of dudes park their cars in a lot and.... walk around the stadium on your own time/expense...? then I suppose that too is a good deal. If they didn't feed you lunch and dinner then for sure they're way worse than SCCA! LOL

As a poor college student I work racing club events. They pay me, I sleep in a tent which I don't mind, and I come back with a little bit of cash, a tan if I resemble a vampire especially this time of the year, and a fun weekend around the cars. They feed me a breakfast which I sometimes confuse as a buffet as well as catered lunch and dinner/beer/soda.

There are a few young people that work but most are older experienced guys. This means they're watching their cholesterol AKA more donuts left over for breakfast. This one 60 year old guy I work with snags all the uneaten donuts back to his corner. We feast upon our loot. If rations are slim we stuff our pockets to hold us until lunch. If you're going to pocket stuff it's better to do it with pigs-in-a-blanket because they keep you warm when it's cold and then you keep them warm when they cool off. During lunch they typically have something sweet like cookies or candy which you once again hoard to hold you off until dinner. As you can see, it would be advantageous to utilize a jacket with many pockets. Or you could just bring your own food and not be a heathen.....

On race weekends I grocery shop for only 5 days because I know they will take care of my endless pit of abyss, also called my stomach. :rolleyes: Lemons and Chump Car races you can typically walk around the pits at dinner time and force teams to feed you some of their BBQ or you will black flag them. It's actually recommended to blackmail the teams in such a way, give them a hard time. :icon14: :icon14: :icon14: :icon14: :icon14:

I've got this down to a science. B)

I salute you sir, its good to see the college student tradition (volunteering your time for free food) living strong. My last term or two it seemed like everyone would just be on the phone saying, "hey mom, can you transfer me some more money? Me and the guys want to go out to eat and get us some beers... 500 should do." I remember my first year or so I'd hit up as many volunteering opportunities I could as long as they gave food. Surveys for research put on by various departments were awesome too - answer some questions and get free lunch. I took it to the extreme for fun sometimes where I'd hang around the big food court/cafeteria on campus and ask cute thin girls if they were done eating and ask if theyd like me to take their plate. They thought I was being a gentleman and swoon, in fact I was just after their half finished frys and veggieburgers...

Edited by h4nsm0l3m4n

They thought I was being a gentleman and swoon, in fact I was just after their half finished frys and veggieburgers...

I question eating a strangers left overs. There was only one time where some dude had half a pizza left and he had to go so he asked if I wanted it. I was like uhhhhhhhhh maybe...

As far as the topic is concerned though. I've noticed more international blocks on silly youtube videos. I never ran into that problem until maybe a month or two ago. What I have always found most annoying is for instance this late night talk radio show I like to listen to, if I want to listen online I have to pay for a membership and its like....... I could just as well turn the radio on... I figured it would be the same for sports. I think I tried that for the World Series game and you had to get a subscription.

Then again Tony. If you are using your own personal laptop you could download one of those internet TV programs. I used one a long time ago when it first came out called TVU I think. It got all the regular channels like FOX, ABC, CBS, etc. Later on they got more channels. That's the only thing I can think of unless you want to use proxies.

2w3cjo6.jpg

14brfpv.jpg

Edited by josh817