HybridZ

LSx s30 Longtube group buy thread

He quoted me $225 when I paid him for the basic setup. Let's not complicate this. $225 is the going rate and I don't want any delays. I sent him an email asking him when I could send him some money, but he hasn't had time to reply. Please just deal with him directl-if we get really complicated we may never see our headers.

I have my current Sanderson brand LS1 shorties coated, not jet hot or such but used Swaintech's white lightning coating [click here]. I did it primarily for rust resistance, but also for heat management.

So, thought I'd call Swaintech and speak with one of their tech people. Described 'our application' and directly asked "if you didn't work at Swain, would you pay to have ss headers coated for an LS1 Z that sees street and track duty-but does not race?". His reply, "no, unless I wanted something that looked...pretty/nice, then I'd use the shiny ceramic, not our white lightning [cause ours isn't pretty, only functional-which is why racers use it]".

I thanked him for his candor, he said "that's why we're here, to tell you when it's the right fit". Since my Z is not raced - just driver events primarily at Watkins Glen, combined with enthusiastic street driving, I have decided that my ss longtubes will remain, Naked!

I encourage you all, if considering coatings to read about the benefits of them and determine if they are for you - as I have done.

Edited by 1 tuff z

A note on coatings, etc. (kinda)

Be SURE that once you install these SS headers, you wipe them down with alcohol EVERYWHERE before you start the engine. If you don't, your finger prints will be burned onto them forever, and they will look somewhat shoddy. I sure wish this process would hurry up.

All i want for christmas is my 280z......

I would not have thought of that, thanks for posting. Guess If i wanted to be really cool i could put my thumb print on each primary and have them emblazened forever with the twist of my key!

Be SURE that once you install these SS headers, you wipe them down with alcohol EVERYWHERE before you start the engine. If you don't, your finger prints will be burned onto them forever, and they will look somewhat shoddy. I sure wish this process would hurry up.

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody got a favorite heat wrap/cover system for an LS starter (I'm serious)? We are gonnat be heating some things up in addition to our tires. Looks great!

Haha i was working on my camaro today, and the headers on there are also quite close. I think the starter will be just ok.

• 2 weeks later...