josh817

First the pictures then the chat:

10dh56d.jpg

143fk9j.jpg

291hqu9.jpg

2db0w1h.jpg

if49px.jpg

23krxpt.jpg

My dad bought this truck from one of his customers for $400 but with the BMW, his Ford truck, and a trailer needing some work he was going to get rid of it. You all know I've been looking for a small truck that can tow (hopefully). For $400 its mine, he said. It's a 1971 Datsun 521. Guess it came with A/C and the PO must have installed a 5 speed (talk about that later). Only 2 spots rusted through, in the front bottom corner of the door and then a tiny spot in the bed.

So obviously needs another motor. Found a cheap L20b with 5 speed on Craigslist. The shift knob says we already have a 5 speed and the pattern of a 5 speed is there but I'm curious if it's a distinct truck 5 speed case or something. When I peaked under the car it had a flat square bottom with a drain plug in the center. The manual shows that as like a '72 4 speed but I don't know... The shift pattern was really sloppy too... "5th" could really be "3rd" I suppose. Either way, the new motor will have a 5 speed tranny just in case the one I have isn't.

I'll rewire the car with my dad and I think I will use Z gauges. Keep the stock speedo, don't know if a Z tach will work but I can just as well get a 510 tach or something aftermarket. Aluminum dash and toggle switches. Aluminum door panels. Rear taillight lenses are smashed so I'll probably just mount some cheap trailer lights. The hood hinges are stuck pretty good. They go down with channel locks but not with my hand. If I can't free them up then I'll just pin the hood. Bench seat is getting tossed and hopefully get some smaller (lower) bucket seats. If not, just recover the bench I guess.

Next up and lastly to get the car DRIVING is the brakes. Has 4 wheel drums but I want disk brakes because I'll be hauling ****. Skib on here must be a member over on Ratsun where I'm reading about the conversions. He asked the question I fear the most about brake swaps... will the wheels I have fit? Shucks I hope so.

Not even going to touch the suspension because if I get myself into a situation where I mangle a part getting it off, and then its NLA... no thanks.

If you can't tell already, this is a low budget project. I'll be using it as my daily and it's going to get beat up one way or another. I'm trying to avoid buying original parts if its expensive and I'm trying to keep it as easy, practical, and straight forward as possible. My budget is roughly $3000-$3500 I'm thinking. That's what I hope to get for my '98 Honda Civic... The priority is to get it running and driving safely and then I can work on making it pretty with rattle can paint and stuff. $400 in the hole for the truck itself, $200 for another motor and tranny, probably another $500 to rebuild it, etc...

So, what are your thoughts?

Edited by josh817

My biggest problem with the bench seat right now is that I have to crawl in. Squish my legs into the seat just to get my knee under the steering wheel. I'll put a different wheel on there but a little more room would be nice, as well as head room.

I've wanted one for awhile like this myself. A convertible option would be so awesome! I remember in the early 80's as a teen I saw a coveritble like yours but totally done up.

It's the insurance and tags that are killing me. 2 Z's, my truck, wifes van and a motorcycle now.

I've read that a 720 can tow a 16' trailer with a car on it, unsafely. :lol:

That's all I need to know.

Purchased a $200 L20B with what I think is a 5 speed tranny. I'm getting confused with transmissions now. The one on the L20B (from a '78 truck) looks like a Z tranny, but the one in the the truck now has that square bottom to it. I guess the easiest way to do it is to put the motor in and drive it. If I shift into "5th" and it's really 3rd, then it will be most obvious. Lol

Went ahead and ordered disk brakes for all 4's and am searching craigslist for 6 lug wheels. I think I found some, with tires that have half tread, for $250. Don't know if it's a good buy. Definitely not $250 I'd like to spend on wheels (not really a wheel person) but the old tires on the truck are all cracked anyway. Still hold air as you can see. Tomorrow I have to measure the center hole on the wheels. The one's on craigslist are a 3" hole. Don't want to do the same thing with the truck as I did with the Z where the front spindles are too big for the hole...

Edited by josh817

I've read that a 720 can tow a 16' trailer with a car on it, unsafely. :lol:

That's all I need to know.

Nice, that was exactly my thinking with my 620... Let's pull one Datsun with the other one!

Anti-lock brakes? No.

Stability/traction control? No.

Air bags? No.

Questionable frayed/rotten lap belts? Check!

Yeah, it should be good to tow a loaded trailer that outweighs it. :D

Nick, I was going to consult you about a VG30 but I decided against it. Didn't follow the "get it running, cheaply" guidelines.

As for towing, I don't even know. Honestly I think the 720 manual says it can tow 2000 pounds with trailer brakes. Granted, I will have 4 wheel disk brakes on this truck so that will be better. No hills from DFW to the local tracks that need conquering. Probably have a good 500-750 pounds of tools, spares, tires, etc in the bed. See! They weigh the same now! ;)

I still have some reading to do but I'm pretty sure the rear ends are different and if I go by the logic of earlier rear ends are smaller then I'd be curious if that's likely to go out on me as well as a tranny when doing crazy stuff like that.

Everyone's cracking wise ass jokes asking if this little Datsun came from Libya. Do you see a 12.7mm gun mounted in the bed?! No. But that would be cool. If you're going to fight a war at least do it in a Datsun damnit.

Edited by josh817

Was considering it but it would be easier to go with an entire KA motor. Once again, didn't want to fabricate much stuff and get myself into a major project. I just need the bare minimum to get me going and maybe alter on I'll decide to play with it.

Wow. I really hate taking about engines. Too messy. I tore down the L20 because I saw some real thick pasty oil in #1 exhaust port. I'm thinking rings, but I guess it could be something in the head. Was told the head was refreshed recently and I believe him since it's all nice and clean under the cam cover. My first alert was when we could turn the motor with our hands, with the spark plugs in. "Yah bro, that's a race engine, spins easily".

I'm trying not to let my cheapness get in the way of a properly built motor. Now I'm sitting here feeling like a boob because I want to use a Z water pump and not the "proper" one. According to O'Reilley's the proper pump is not just the pump but the pulley and the fan clutch all pressed together. Says it will work for basically all the L20 motors. The Z pump says it will work with the L16 and all the Z/Maxima motors and as we already know, the pulley can be removed with 4 bolts, which is what I want. It's also half the cost. I think I'm going to order a Z one and if it doesn't work I'll keep it as a spare for the Z.

Gutted the interior... Felt like an idiot but was pleasantly surprised to see that the dash is metal, under all the padding. No need to fabricate! I really wanted to get rid of the stock gauge panel and use two Z gauges. Unfortunately the stock panel has fuel and water temp. As we know, on a Z, those are two different gauges... I'm really tempted to see if I can't pull the speedo out of the PC board thing so I can use just that and then the two Z gauges. Dad mentioned possible calibration which I don't want to deal with. Curious if I'd need to calibrate anything if using Z gauges.

Voltmeter: no

Fuel: maybe?

Water temp: no

Oil pressure: no

While gutting the interior I threw the bench seat in the bed. Noticed it fit quite well between the tail gate and the wheel wells. Ideas ideas.

Oh yah, politely asking if the mods can move this to the project section. Didn't expect to blog this stuff really but I keep finding myself posting things...

Edited by josh817