HybridZ

70 240z garage special

After patients and searching for quite some time now I finally found a 70 240 local to my area that hasn't been complety Eatin alive by the climate.

The car was for sell and the owner parted it out

So all that is missing is finders, hatch, motor, and interior. Fine by be since being into the early Z's for this long (6-7 years) I have a big collection of S30 parts laying around in the closets of the guests bedroom of my parents house and the garage.

As yall may know Power Fab Autos has helped me a lot with my 73 240z, in witch I may have them do some welding work for be, but 80% of the work will be my attempt.

Swapping my running an featured (on this site) 83 280zxt platform into this early S30. Seems it won't cast me much of anything to get it running other then nick-naks and the custom fuel cell, and camper plates witch is were PFA will come in for the welding.

Looking to bring this Z back from the dead with tastefull mods and upgrading to the power,suspension. Want to keep its original curves as much as possible.

I pick it up tommarow (moday 18th) so ill post pics.

Haha "movable state" haha my sub frame is dropped it is a real shell... no tollers so I'm on the same page as you.

Car ie in freakishly good shape! Guy how owned it walked out on his wife of 31 years do she decided 5 months later to sell it. Thsts were I fell in.

Will post pics tommarow late when I'm off work.

Really think the best first step is to get the dub take and tires back on it...then sending it to be dipped,blasted, & staged for primer.

Check this out & what do you think?

Solventreplacement.com is the company.

I have been reading a lot on the web, and seems there is a lot of maxed feelings over what the "right" approach for the surface rust removal is in my 240s condition.

(Media blasting,acid dipping,green solvents,sand blasting, ect).

I have the chance to really clean and properly build this early 240z and want to do it right the first time around....

From what I've read the cons to the following were-

Midia blast, sand blasting- worping in the body.

Acid dipping- not properly cleaned after dipping and acid continues to eat the metal.

So help Me out let's here dome ideas?

I would vote for media blasting, or sand blasting if you want to save a bit.

It really does reveal a lot of problem areas that you may not have noticed, and if you are set on doing it right, it is really something you need to take care of.

I took a rust hammer (the ones with a pointed tip) to the floor, and determined it was pretty solid and only replaced a corner, while removing the underlining toward the rear quite a bit of the floor came with it.

There is a place up here in Portland that uses a large scale version of electrolosis to remove all the paint and rust and crap from your car. You might wanna see if you have anything like that near you as it'll get rid of everything and won't remove any metal at all.

Other than that, non-abrasive media blasting is your best bet. Sand blasting scares me, I've seen WAY to many people bone that up on metal thicker than an S30.

Plastic or Soda blasting is the best media for paint and coating removal. Soda doesn't really take deep rust out nor does plastic...in the cases of heavy rust they almost always move to a more aggressive media like glass. If you ever talk to a blasting company and they suggest straight sand our you car go someplace else. Be sure that the company your talking too has extensive experience with auto type sheet metal...the more foreign imports they've done the better.

Chemical dipping comes in several different varieties from the "friendly" citrus based cleaner or the more aggressive true acid cleansers, call around and ask lots of questions before committing your time money and chassis to the process. It is true that if they do not properly clean the chassis residue can creep from seams and ruin new paint jobs. I believe that most reputable shops know how to do this and will gladly refer you to previous clients for feedback.

good luck - I just had my 2002 Soda blasted and it came out great! I had them use plastic on the hood and it was a real PITA to get all the plastic media out of the nooks and crannies.

Wow #2262, that's awesome, pretty early, please don't chop it up too bad.. Mine's the same age as I am, Nov 70'.

Yeah Media blasting it the way to go, but definitely make sure they know your car is thin sheet metal. It shouldn't be a big deal, though since most of the media blasting material won't heat things up like sand does. Find out if they're going to primer it for you when they're done too. If so you might want to make sure whos ever going to paint it for you knows what kind of primer they're going to use since paint is best done as a system.

Color is a toughie, My 280Z took a long time to decide on the right color. The 240 is going to go back to the original factory white/white. the interior might be hard to find in white, but It'll look awesome when it's done.

Still waiting on your pictures!.. Need some before and after, and some more along the way. Can't wait to see them...

Phar

I forgot to grab a pic of fire wall numbe will tommarow.

I guess the thing to do now is get the sub frame back on the car, and wheels so i can push it around easyer and get it to the body shop.

I leaves in about 2 weeks for the media blasting and primer.

Were thinkig of painting it pearl white, factory 905 red, 919 yellow,901 silver.

lets just flip a coin.

post-4921-072549600 1303357287_thumb.jpg

post-4921-027233600 1303357296_thumb.jpg

post-4921-041782600 1303357306_thumb.jpg

post-4921-023784600 1303357316_thumb.jpg

post-4921-086681100 1303357326_thumb.jpg

post-4921-024395100 1303357338_thumb.jpg

post-4921-025586100 1303357350_thumb.jpg

post-4921-048948200 1303357360_thumb.jpg

Made up a build sheet for starters.

Body- sending car to stance body.

Midia blast.

Fix all body rust and imperfections.

Cut and weld in TTT camber plates.

Primer and paint.(factory yellow or silver)

Bring car home and start on suspension/brake/wheels swap and build.

TTT-Camber plates

TTT-Front & rear control arms

TTT-Tie rods

TTT-Rear end & axle swap kit 300zx TT axles/diff)

TTT-F/R strut bars

Tokico illumina strut/ground control coilovers

300zx twin turbo brakes swap

SS brake lines

Run New brake/clutch lines

81 280zx brakes master/booster

I have everything as fair as turbo motor/trany/drive shaft/interior/seats/gauges/clutches/ECUs, so all my cost are body (need finders, hatch,windshield,headlight buckets witch I pick up next week ) paint, suspension, wheels, weather striping & wirring.

Let's get started!!!!!

I found a place off of 1314 that does resto's. I am fairly impressed with them. Now I just have to save up the cash. I will either go with the original color 820, or go all out with a white or black. Still undecided. I am #806 or 1/70 so I will not cut up my body at all. I am the second owner and have everything from the car ( bill of sale, spare, and seatbelts.... but a beast under the hood.....