HybridZ

Brembo's in 240z

I was thinking of this would it work? buy Cobra 5 lug hubs and brackets from Modern Motorsports Ltd. Then purchase Brembo brake kit upgrade for the 2004 Cobra's, bolt it up together and there you go brembos for my 240z!! Kits go for $1049.00 to $3159.00 plus $500.00 for hubs and brakets better then wilwood kit ? here is a link.

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brakes.jsp?autoMake=Ford&autoModel=Mustang+Cobra&autoYear=2004&autoModClar=&make=Brembo&model=GT+330mm+Big+Brake+Kit&perfCode=S

What do you guys think?

I believe JamieT was working on something very similar. In the post below he doesn't specifically mention Brembo's' date=' but I believe the subject did come up. Perhaps he will chime in and provide more info.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=99088&highlight=cobra+lug[/quote']

thanks for the link well it seems no one has brembos in their Z's. If you guys do I would like to see ur setup. hopefully I get some cash flow by Xmas then i will def try to do this set up. Thanks

Oh my god... 355mm rotors... thats 14"!
seems a little overkill for such a light car. Sure they will look good, but thats a lot of unsprung weight!

I've always thought the Track 350Z's rays wheels and brembos would look sweet on a 240 though, even if they are 18" wheels. Maybe some 17" TE-37s which look like them though, instead.

I like the Modern Motorsport setup as a value for money high performance option. From my experience it would only be in extreme competition circumstances that anything bigger and better would be worth while for the S30, certainly for road use the MM setup would be more than ever is likely to be needed.

Now, where is my kickback :-D

SBC400, it comes down to pad selection. Getting enough heat, along with the right aggressive compound pad is the ticket and actually quite easy. I've had Ross' kit in hand, and actually drove that kit on Jim M.'s car, and I've had Jamie's kit and installed it (Cobra 13inch rotors) on my own Zcar and have experienced the cobra kit on my 95 Mustang GT. The calipers/ rotors/ aggressive pad combo is absolutely the way to go... Forget about Brembo BLING rotors, as they are WEAR items and will wear out frequently if used properly and driven with aggressive pads... You want to continue paying $$$ everytime you need to replace rotors? One of the beauties of Jamie's setup is you can use over the counter rotors from Ford, Napa, or whomever you choose, and the brakes are a fraction the cost of those 2 piece rotor deals.

That's the route I chose, and I priced Brembos and could afford them. My money is better spend elsewhere! :2thumbs:

Mike :cool:

I'm not impressed with the idea of 14" Brembos on a Z either, but I think that a 12" Wilwood setup is easily justifiable. Although the rotors might not be available at the corner store they are CHEAP through circle track supply houses (usually about $40), and the 12" rotors with hats weigh about 13 lbs. That off the shelf Cobra rotor is something like 24 lbs IIRC. That's a HUGE difference.

Guest JAMIE T

I was going to set back and just lurk on this thread, but what the heck, right?

I am using Wilwood two piece rotors an my set-up. They weigh about 14#'s. They are 13" direct replacements for the stock Cobra parts. I chose to go this route, one, to show the possibilities with my hubs, two, the weight savings over the one piece stock Cobra rotor, three, they look great. I still have the Cobra caliper though the COBRA lettering is milled off and the calipers have been re-finished. I bought NEW front and rear calipers for @$300. The rotors set me back about $700 I think.

That "heavy" cobra rotor... :lmao:

Here's a little thing we learned when we had Jim's setup from ross... It ain't so light... Pete, Doug, Jamie, and I all picked up these two piece rotor/ hat combos and were dumfounded at how heavy they are. I'd guess there is less than two pounds savings from that whole deal with the two piece vs. 1 piece rotor. I Strongly recommend weighing them if you can before you dive into something thinking it is a true "benefit"!

Now, that said, some of the two piece rotor setups are worth it because of the material used in contructing the outter rotor and that difference makes those heavy duty rotors last much longer in race and HPDE style events.

Mike

That's absolutely not correct... I just went out and weighed a cobra rotor on my bathroom scale and got 16# subtracting my weight from the weight of me holding the rotor. Now if I'm racing for that big payoff and the huge sponsorship deal and the trophy girls smooching me on the cheek, MAYBE I'm spending way more on those other rotors... But if I'm left with choosing a good rotor that is a bit heavier, or the gucci units to save 3#, well it's just a choice each of us has to make!

That said, three pounds (Maybe more like five... I Mean a BATH SCALE, Come on, how accurate can that be, right??? :lmao: ) is a bit of rotating weight. You offset that on my setup by going with a super lightweight wheel/ hoosier slick combo, which saves more than the three to five pounds from the rotor... Although it is a bit of weight, I agree... I just look at it from the whole "consumables" standpoint...

Mike

I looked around and can't seem to find rotor weights anywhere on the web. The only thing I did find was a place selling the 13" rotors and had a weight of 41 lbs listed, and another place selling the baer 2 piece rotors that said the cross drilled rotors were a 5 lb weight reduction from the stock rotor. The 41 lb website didn't say if that was packaged weight or just the rotors or what. No disrespect to you Mike, but I'm having a hard time buying this because when I got my brakes I weighed the new rotor vs the stock and I seem to recall (it's been a while, could be wrong) that the stock unvented 11" Z rotor was 12 lbs. Seems really unlikely that a 13" vented rotor which is HUGE by comparison would only weigh 4 more lbs.

You're right though, lighter tires and wheels can offset some of that rotor weight. But then you're talking about high dollar wheels and tires. You're going to spend the money somewhere. High dollar tires is what kills the budget IMO. Much rather go through $40 pads and $40 rotors every track event than $700 tires...

Personally I still feel that the 13" brakes are overkill. Johnc only used 11.5" brakes on the ROD. I know, some hybridzers have 3000 lb Zs, but that's the exception rather than the rule for the guy who builds his car to road race. That is what we're talking about here, right??? If jtmny1999 is putting them on to look cool then rotor weight doesn't matter.

So that would be this listing I believe:

Part# Application Dia Thick Weight

DBA 069A MUSTANG 330 28 9.1

DBA 069B MUSTANG 330 28 9.1

9.1kg = 20.02 lbs. I believe that this weight is going to vary from manufacturer to manufacturer somewhat. Regardless, that is 7lbs per wheel heavier than my still big enough 12" rotors.

I still say it does matter when you're talking about 500HP cars (doesn't matter the powerplant) and serious terminal velocity. JohnC.'s car was making in the 300+whp range, which is no slouch, but I'd still want minimum of 12 inch veined vented discs. Jmortensen, a 12inch rotor is going to weigh a bit less than a 13inch setup... Considerably.

What's sad is I could have weighed the various combos since I've had most in house, including the wilwood setup from AZC, the Outlaw setup sold by Mike Gibson (12.19 inches), MML's extreme setup, and the 13inch cobra setup that Jamie put together, as well as the Wilwood version of that setup, since we replaced Ross' front setup with the ford overhub design and Jamie's hubs. Of course, I didn't, so all these chances are missed... Those of us that had the chance to pick up the MML 13inch rotor setup were amazed at how HEAVY a 13inch 2 piece rotor design could be. That setup is atleast 2-4# heavier than a 12 inch setup. That is what we should be comparing to a 1piece 13inch cobra setup, not a 12inch rotor setup.

As to the weights, I read your post and ran outside in a freezing cold rain with the bathroom scale, grabbed a stock FOMOCO 13inch rotor and did my little weight test for you. It is only as accurate as the scale and the idiot holding the rotor. :2thumbs:

Mike :cool:

Personally I still feel that the 13" brakes are overkill. Johnc only used 11.5" brakes on the ROD. I know' date=' some hybridzers have 3000 lb Zs, but that's the exception rather than the rule for the guy who [b']builds his car to road race[/b]. That is what we're talking about here, right??? If jtmny1999 is putting them on to look cool then rotor weight doesn't matter.

Well I am planning on putting 17'' te37's gunmetal in the front and 18'' in the back. I currently have flares and planning on painting the car gun metal so yes its gonna look HOT. I also want to autoX it to see how it does so its both looks and performance.

So far this is how it looks hehe

flare.jpg

backrp.jpg

Guest JAMIE T
$700 that is well worth it IMO vs the heavy Cobra rotor. How much is the replacement rotor without the hat? $100?

That sounds about right. I haven't priced them yet since I haven't had a chance to wear mine out yet. Mikelly did buy some for Jim M's car though. He might be able to dig up the receipt. Jim and I both are using the same hat. I'm using drilled/slotted (for the ladies:), and Jim is using the slotted only version. His car was being built for track specific, while my car is more of a showcase for products and workmanship.