HybridZ

Lets see your tailights!

m1ghtymaxXx

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally LOVE the 79-81 taillights... and can't stand the school bus LED conversions some have done. But that's just me.

Floating around cardomain and prolly here too, there is a 280zx owner who put Mustang tail lights on... another guy used Dodge Stealth? (Dodge something) tail lights.

Search around...

the stang tailights are probably the best non-oem tails I've seen installed... I like the 79 tails myself but thought about grafting S-30 tails into the project car I had goin... kinda debating trying it in the ZXR but a part of me wants to keep the originals in being that its a ZXR

the stang tailights are probably the best non-oem tails I've seen installed... I like the 79 tails myself but thought about grafting S-30 tails into the project car I had goin... kinda debating trying it in the ZXR but a part of me wants to keep the originals in being that its a ZXR

That crossed my mind too. I can't remember the user name on here, but I like how he combined the stock tailights with r33 lights, however I'd try and get them a little more flush.

See it in person at the DNI Shootout in March...you might change your mind. The slight angle at the bottom is barely noticeable once you see the car in 3D. The photos don't do it justice as the rear is slightly rounded, not perfectly flat. I do, however, respect your opinion.

Warren

See it in person at the DNI Shootout in March...you might change your mind. The slight angle at the bottom is barely noticeable once you see the car in 3D. The photos don't do it justice as the rear is slightly rounded, not perfectly flat. I do, however, respect your opinion.

Warren

Agreed. I first saw the pictures online were like ehh not my taste. Then when you see the car in person its totally different. Very well done car.

what about Z32 tails? maybe with the full rear panel (narrowed to fit the car of course)

I did this swap on my 240. Here is a good shot of the rear from the Kit Car Builder artical (warning 56k, big file) http://www.reactionresearch.com/280yz/danjuday/KCB13P29.pdf

This is not a swap for the faint of heart. The rear of a Z32 is deceptively curvy. While (I believe, but have not confirmed) the rear of an S130 is more square than even an S30. Everything below the rear edge of the hatch had to be custom formed to fit the Z32 taillights.

I'd love to see them on an S130. Just bring lots of talent and plan for a bunch of work.

Just bring lots of talent and plan for a bunch of work.

Almost anybody can do a sheetmetal and bondo hack job with trailer lights, (No offense intended to anyone.) but making the finished product look like it came that way and the lights actually belonged on that car from the beginning is the hard part. Creativity goes a LONG way.

Dan's car was quite instrumental in my deciding which lights to use on my S130. Since the Z32 lights had already been done on an S30, I didn't want to simply carry that design to the S130, in which it wouldn't look right anyway, because of the size and shape differences.

It's not quite as easy as you might think it would be to transplant a different car model's lights and make it look "right".

Getting back to the original part of the thread, "how bout a thread to compile all the different ideas out there.", this has been covered several times before, but here's a link anyway. Zparts.com's gallery of tailight treatments. That may give you some ideas of what different things look like.

Warren

I'm going with three late 60's corvette lights with after-market bubble lens covers. They're frenched in, but the bubble brings it back above the surface of the rear.

lights.jpg

car.jpg

Thats the owner of the shop, and one of the guys, I'm the one cleverly hidden behind the windshield post.

I've always thought that the later Z31 tail lights might look decent on the S130, but I've never seen it done.

Might make the car look even MORE 80's though, and I prefer the classic feeling most of the car exudes, but overall doesn't quite pull off. Idealy my perfect S130 would rid itself of all 80's boxness.

I've always thought that the later Z31 tail lights might look decent on the S130, but I've never seen it done.

Might make the car look even MORE 80's though, and I prefer the classic feeling most of the car exudes, but overall doesn't quite pull off. Idealy my perfect S130 would rid itself of all 80's boxness.

I'm not sure about newer z31 lights, but the old ones are similar in shape to the s130 ones, but sit a little more flush.