HybridZ
markrolston@mac.com

Progress on my insane VQ35HR 240Z project

thanks. nice parts but I don't think distribution is much of a problem under pressure from a pair of turbos. With the engine draw from a normally aspirated setup it may be but as long as there aren't constrictions I'm going to be more concerned about volume than perfect distribution.

And yes, oval shaped, curved horns are what I'm thinking. A short curved pipe between the head and the ITB, then a curved horn will allow for plenty of freedom to position the plenum.

this is what I'm imagining (but better :wink:

3115846049_785472fe1e_o.jpg

3116673036_fb0dcb9fb9.jpg

Looking good ;)

Looking nice, mark, Can you take a pict of the clearance you've got under that hood w/ the engine?

Phar

There is just over 4" clearance under the hood. I expect just enough for the intake. If you look closely, next to the oil fill spigot there is a paper cutout of where the ITB horns rise to. So we know it can fit. But even then we're considering just using throttle bodies for a simpler setup. With a turbo motor ITBs offer minimal gains. But they are still cool so I'm still kicking around the idea.

4121431824_dc80c43546_o.jpg

Awesome! Rockon! I was really wondering about that. I've been stalled on my HR project, kinda afraid of the fitament under the hood, but you've shown renewed hope that it'll fit w/o my having to cut down and reglue my plenum. Your project is so much cooler than mine. I need to get a hoist and get back to work on my car. I let it get cold outside, which is going to make things soo much more fun

I really apprieciate the pictures, you're doing an amazing job.

Eric

We got the door bars in and part of the front frame bracing. The door bars are low enough to still allow easy ingress but will require we move the door handle. Not really a problem. It's not like it's all custom anyway. I designed the door bars to fit neatly with the seat lines but be high enough to provide critical rigidity. The front brace is designed to be removable so we can get the engine in/out.

4133973841_581bb64d67_o.jpg

4134736018_8aa370eebf_o.jpg

4133973251_4b3cb9eff2_o.jpg

4133972905_8408185d21_o.jpg

That's really looking good, Mark, So that Dash, I guess is moulded the same as the hood. Your side bars look good, are you planning on doing jumps and loop-d-loops? Cage like that you'd probably be able to. hehe. JK, but really it should do well. I was looking at when I build my cage, to cut into the top of the door and put in a bar inside along the top just below where the window somes out, though I might have to use solid so it would fit inside the door panel. The bar would tie into the upper hinge, and have a catch similar to the Z32 at the door opening. this would provide a little more side impact protection though it's probably 20-40lbs more weight. It's a thought anyway.

I'm sur eyou know more about cages than I do though.

Phar

That really is an incredible build. It turns out that the shop its being built at is right next to my shop in Pflugerville and I never knew till I was driving by one day and spotted the back of a Z sticking out and went to go check it out. Beautiful work though its gone a lot further than last time I saw it. I'll have to stop by again and see it as it is now.

It's a modified Corvette C6 setup. The Arms, Hub, and Spindle are C6 with a custom steering arm and unique geometry given the more narrow width of the Z car. The brakes are a Wilwood 14", six piston setup designed for a Z06 brake upgrade kit.

Mark,

What are you using for the front suspension? A-arms and hubs/spindles?

Jeff

No updates this month. December has been distracting. I plan to hit it hard in the new year so things should move fast, hopefully starting with the engine and a set of wheels to roll it around on. below is a render of the wheel design I created that will get made by Boze Wheels.

I plan to get the car registered. Since it's so old the rules are very lax. That's a huge benefit to building on old platforms. In fact I'm planning to have the car look finished from the outside- ie: carpet, full dashboard, door sills, etc. so that the underlying tube-frame basis should not be immediately obvious to the walk-up viewer. It's only when you look into the back hatch or lift the front hood do you see how radical the design is. That's the goal at least.

Lastly, I'll certainly share my HR engine build up as it goes. I plan to open it up in Jan or Feb and start poking around.

shapeimage_2.png

Sounding good mark.

I'm glad to see you chose the HR as it seems to be a far better engine than the DE, I have a bunch of pull down pics of the HR and the bottom end is a very nice single cradle. It has a fair few similarities to the nissan VH range v8's to be honest and that is a beast of a bottom end for a stock car and the HR looks a little better imo. I wonder how good the stock internals are, I know it has different rods and pistons to the DE as well as a taller deck heigh which matches the VQ40 which was to allow for longer rods equalling a better rod to stroke ratio which would have been to make higher revs more reliable no doubt. I doubt the stock bottom end would like much boost as it seems they have done a fair bit to minimize rotating mass and improve NA performance but with aftermarket parts that thing should be a beast. Better redline at 8,000+ :P

Gotta love old rules, definately one of the things drawing me to the 240 for modification. Its getting to the point over here you can't have a front mount without getting it engineered.

The wheel looks quite nice, did someone get inspired by audi rims? They are quite a nice stock rim, on the rs4 etc. Got specs for the rims? Dare I ask how much they will cost haha? I imagine manufacturing wise a two peice would be much cheaper to build, any comments?

The wheel looks quite nice, did someone get inspired by audi rims? They are quite a nice stock rim, on the rs4 etc. Got specs for the rims? Dare I ask how much they will cost haha? I imagine manufacturing wise a two peice would be much cheaper to build, any comments?

The wheels are definitely inspired (copied?) from the spoke pattern of the RS4 wheel. The depth and cut are somewhat different so I'm hoping it won't look like I just mounted an audi wheel. I may tweak it a bit to given it a more original profile. The cost is actually only $160 total more for them to do the custom shape. It's a two piece with the center milled from a billet. Since Boze tends to create wheels custom anyway, it's not a huge deal to load up a different file. I'm sending them the cad file nearly finished out. They will address bolt hole and mounting surface issues from there.

Are you doing any FEA or that sort of modeling to make sure you won't have failures down the line? Are there rules of thumb that you are using to design the wheel?

nope. I'm comfortable with three factors: First, I modeled the wheel against similar wheel designs using the same billet. Second, BOZE will assess the design before building the wheel and I'll assume they know what they're doing. Lastly, it won't be the track use wheel. I'll use standard mesh CCWs for that.

small update...Things are going slow over the winter. We're right now building mounts for the body. The rear steel body section will be removable (the plan so far) and the front is getting framing built for the airdam, bumper, and hood mounting points. To set everything up correctly we had to build a template of the body line for the current car.

more pics coming soon.

4329206457_06abeb66a8_o.jpg