HybridZ

My Love of a Dying Breed

Gollum

here you go my zx! love s130 ... actually i had s30's and on track a well layed out zx is just better

That's a scary bold statement, but you have the track time to have weight to that opinion.

But that being said, looking at your ZX is hard to call it just "well layed out". You done more dream mods than most other S130's on this forum put together.

All that said, I highly respect you, your car, and that statement you made.

Edited by Gollum

The S30 is more 'raw' which some people like but from an overall performance perspective the S130 is a better car. Most people when expressing an opinion on the S130 have never driven one in good condition, they are merely repeating what someone else has said. Also anyone who is really interested should read Nissan's own book on the creation and development of the S130 where the engineers sought to improve on the S30 and move forward with a sports car for the '80's. Its getting near silly to say that they did not succeed, that all their work and testing was for nothing.

Talking from a non American perspecrive, it may be that Nissan US softened up the S130 to sell more cars. Whatever they did does not take away anything from the basic design, the S130 is a great sports car but will never be recognised as such because of entrenched opinion.

Edited by 260DET

Naturally a good s30 is a hell of car on a track, but a s130 ( stock so no wide body's) to a s30 has a wider track lower center point of gravity and longer wheel base.. and the trailing arms aren’t that stupid either.

And then there is the statement that everybody makes about the weight … and yes an early 240 is lighter.. and maybe a 240 in general is.. but everything after compared to a early s130 is not…. And even a 83 bling machine zx isn’t all that heavy as people state!

Anyway i have 8,5 for the track ( in the pictures) and 17x10's in the rear and 17 by 8,5 in the front.

And yes Gollum i agree it is a bold statement that i might make to finally get a point across that 260DET puts out more refined; "Most people when expressing an opinion on the S130 have never driven one in good condition, they are merely repeating what someone else has said"

I disagree to the recongnised part of 260det's post.. that only has to do with SMOG laws....... nothing more..

On the other hand this keeps them cheap so i can buy more MOWAHAHA

post-373-027360700 1296201710_thumb.jpg

Edited by frank280zx

I disagree to the recongnised part of 260det's post.. that only has to do with SMOG laws....... nothing more..

On the other hand this keeps them cheap so i can buy more MOWAHAHA

Wait, isn't that why I started this thread? It's really a sad reality.

Regarding the weight, from the numbers I've seen on ACCURATE scales, almost all of nissan's cars were sand bagging a bit in the weight ratings all through the 80's and even early 90's. My S130 weighs around 2650 with nothing but the spare removed. I don't think my t-top cars were much heavier really, but they were all pre-82.

I like that the S130 needs a good 245 or so wide tire just to come close to filling the STOCK flare. There's tons of room in there for meat. I like that the front end is better engineered from an aero perspective. I like that the front suspension seems to do it's job a little bit better. I like that I don't have to convert to disk brakes, but have them from the get go. I like that I have a huge fuel tank that will get me 500 miles if I'm getting really good gas mileage. I like that I can run a taller wheel without screwing up the suspension so much, allowing me to run some of the more modern wheel combos. I like that there's more breathing room between me and my passenger. I like that there's a little more cargo space for car parts.

And more than anything else, I like that they're consistently dirt cheap.

I just need to get out of this state apparently.

Yes...Move out of the stupified state and you will finally realize what fun cars can be. Hell i am in TX where almost anything goes and i am jealous of AL, MS, AR, etc close by where you dont have to actually have a title to drive the cars...hell i could buy all of the title-less or "lost" title cars that go for 100-500 that are in great shape it just costs another 500+ to get a bonded title so that they can be driven...sucks.

I've had a few Z's now & have to admit, I do prefer the S130 to the S30 from a driver's standpoint...better brakes, better handling, better aerodynamics. I have a pretty nice '78 280Z, but I REALLY miss my old '82 slicktop coupe! I will have to get another one of these days...