HybridZ

L28S - Supercharged 78 280Z: engine build pics

boardkid280z

Here are a few pictures of my progress this past week. My roommate and I have been working hard on getting my motor put together. It has taken a while to get all the parts together. I've really just done all the cleaning and painting this past week. I think I have all the parts to finish it... just need to get some pusher fans as the SC setup takes a lot of room on the front of the motor.

The throttle body is a TBI (Throttle Body Injection) off of a GM 4.3 V6 or something like that. The Supercharger and manifold are from Jim Cook Racing's kit. The header came with a $200 2.6L motor I picked up. P90 head (only dirty part on the motor :-)) with flattops. And I have an aluminum radiator from JTR waiting to go in. Megasquirt is already installed... I've been using it on a turbo setup for a while, it will need a little modifying and cleaning up, but it's basically ready to go.

100_1727.jpg

100_1735.jpg

100_1740.jpg

100_1750.jpg

100_1751.jpg

100_1757.jpg

100_1760.jpg

100_1763.jpg

100_1764.jpg

100_1765.jpg

100_1771.jpg

100_1774.jpg

Enjoy!

steveo- I might look into the lo-pro holly filter. I just got this cheap one cuz I figured smaller would be better and I didn't want to have to run out and get one when the car was ready to run. It looks kind of small now, I'm not sure I really like it. I'll see how it sits and fits in the car and go from there. I'll have to see later if there is an easy way to get cold air to the inlet, instead of filtering hot air from the engine bay.

red and phantaz- I don't think clearance will be an issue. The motor sits straight up on the engine stand, and there is actually quite a slant when it sits in the car. The kit is made for a Holly TBI so I don't think there will be much difference... although I won't know till we drop the motor in this weekend.

KJones' setup is different than mine, he made his own that is similar but it isn't a JCR kit.

The picture below (posted by SHO-Z in the thread linked above) shows where the top of the supercharger sits behind the wheel well. It s the same kit as mine, so I think there will be enough room, as long as it fits under the hood.

zengineshotsized7pq.jpg

cool, someone posted a pic of my old 280zsc engine. the intake you see is the way i pulled air from other than in the engine bay and solved the low engine to throttle body clearance. the intake wrapped under the sc, then forward to another tube then in front of the radiator to a cone filter. worked great. we used some old kc130 internal fuel tank fittings for the elbow and flat aluminum stock to fab the piece that fit over the tb. tig'd it all together, and polished!

The picture below (posted by SHO-Z in the thread linked above) shows where the top of the supercharger sits behind the wheel well. It s the same kit as mine, so I think there will be enough room, as long as it fits under the hood.

zengineshotsized7pq.jpg

Not much work done tonight, stayed up too late last night, so I need to get to bed "early" tonight.

Here's a couple of pics. First one is some black (lines) and dark grey (lettering) I did on the valve cover. The others are closeups of the TBI; just need to make a bracket to mount the end of the throttle cable to and attach the fuel lines somehow. I've got some stock TBI fuel lines with the fittings and about 2 ft of hard line. I think I'll bend it so it extends straight back to the firewall and use rubber hose from there to connect it to the stock hard lines. Which brings up one question, and I'll post this under fuel delivery also: If I use the pressure regulator in the TBI to run 15psi is there a problem qith using the stock fuel pump, or will the lower pressure mess up the pump. I thought lowering the pressure reduces the strain on the fuel pump allowing it to flow more fuel (lbs/hr) with no adverse effects. Anyone have any experience with this?

100_1776.jpg

100_1778.jpg

100_1782.jpg

100_1786.jpg

Looks great! You definitely need a lower profile air cleaner. Also, a knock sensor is a good idea. I ran a similar setup (flat tops, P79, mild cam, 8.5:1 CR) on my road racer and eventually had a melt down. Running 180WHP NA L28 now. L28ET waiting in the wings.

- Intake air temps reached over 280F (you should do better running it wet)

- The SC is so loud (especially without an air cleaner and cowl hood), that you cannot hear detonation when it happens.

- Those old Camden superchargers generate a lot of heat.

Dyno plot before and after SC:

ZCCNE_280Z_SC.sized.jpg

Racing trim:

DSC00004.sized.jpg

DSC00001.sized.jpg

P1010003.sized.jpg

club_car_NHIS_06.jpg

Looks great! You definitely need a lower profile air cleaner. Also, a knock sensor is a good idea. I ran a similar setup (flat tops, P79, mild cam, 8.5:1 CR) on my road racer and eventually had a melt down. Running 180WHP NA L28 now. L28ET waiting in the wings.

- Intake air temps reached over 280F (you should do better running it wet)

- The SC is so loud (especially without an air cleaner and cowl hood), that you cannot hear detonation when it happens.

- Those old Camden superchargers generate a lot of heat.

That setup does look really nice. Pete - did you experience any problems with fuel puddling in the low point under the SC? Looks like you were still using port injection and maybe just using the TBI as supplemental? I was just wondering since it appears that boardkid is going to be getting all of his fuel from the TBI. Maybe the SC does a sufficient job of atomising the fuel so that won't happen.

.. because everything is so clean and all your old/dirty/non polished thermostat housing sticks out like a sore thumb...

ya know... I've got a polished thermostat housing outlet (the part that the hose connects to) laying around that I could let go of cheap...

That setup does look really nice. Pete - did you experience any problems with fuel puddling in the low point under the SC? Looks like you were still using port injection and maybe just using the TBI as supplemental? I was just wondering since it appears that boardkid is going to be getting all of his fuel from the TBI. Maybe the SC does a sufficient job of atomising the fuel so that won't happen..

I was using the port injectors only. No fuel puddling problems, just a lot of heat. The TB was just that, no injectors. So my point is that if he runs it wet (TBI), the intake air temp may not be a problem. Plus, I was using it on a road racer where I was pushing it really hard for 30minute sessions. I was planning on adding two more injectors just below the TB for cooling, but I melted the motor before I had a chance to. For street use, it is not a bad setup.

I do not know if all of the Eaton supercharges are the same. I took my M62 apart to check the rear bearings. They were needle bearing packed with grease with no seal. Gas could wash out the grease.

Mine came off of a SLK Mercedes and is made to run dry. I have also heard that gas will eat the teflon coating on the rotors.

This is just a heads up, you might ask around.

• 2 weeks later...