HybridZ

Modern windshield install in an S30

Dan Juday

Right now a pair of guys are installing a new windshield in my service van, an 05 Chevy Express.

I asked the boss (the owner of the small company) if it's posible to install the S30 windshield like the new cars with a bed of urathane and the plastic "T" trim molding. He said as long as the glass is larger than the pinch-weld it's no problem. He even has molding that is up to two inches wide. The black boarder on new windshields in called the "frit". He says that he can paint that on before installing the new glass to leave a nice clean finished edge so you don't see the glue.

Just thought I would pass that on as I've seen the question come up before.

Edited by Dan Juday
  • Like 1

Right now a pair of guys are installing a new windshield in my service van, an 05 Chevy Express.

I asked the boss (the owner of the small company) if it's posible to install the S30 windshield like the new cars with a bed of urathane and the plastic "T" trim molding. He said as long as the glass is larger than the pinch-weld it's no problem. He even has molding that is up to two inches wide. The black boarder on new windshields in called the "frit". He says that he can paint that on before installing the new glass to leave a nice clean finished edge so you don't see the glue.

Just thought I would pass that on as I've seen the question come up before.

A friend glued the window on his 280Z chump car. It worked great and we saved a nice gasket from being wasted. Oddly the car drove very different before and after. Gluing in the windshield makes the car stiffer and at least in this old clunker you can feel it.

cary

I don't know. I use polyurathan all the time in my work. When dry the consistancy is very similar to the rubber gasket material.

Fortunately (or unfortunately) I have a perfect windshield and gasket. If I do need to replace either in the future I'm going to try it.

Hi, I am a NGA certified autoglass tech (8 Years now),In my professional opinion this is a bad idea. The s30 windshield was designed to be a gasket set, it does not have enough overhang on the pinchweld to use the proper amount of ureathane to bond to the glass,The bead would hit on the very edge of the glass,not safe at all. As far as the universal moulding (up to 2" wide)It would look like crap in the top corners where you would have to cut 45 deg angles because of the pointy corners.Painting a frit band (border) on the edge of the glass only looks good when it has metal moulding that covers it (example : Chevy Chevelle), The purpose of a frit band is not only to make a border,it protects the ureathane bead from the suns UV rays,which eats away over time.

Modern cars incorporate the windscreen as part of the car's structure, so it becomes part of the car's chassis. Bonding it in makes sense, providing the body is stiff enough not to overstress the screen so it cracks. With some modern cars if the screen is cracked the crack quickly extends, due apparently to chassis flex.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Saw this while at the vintage races last weekend. Spoke with the owner/driver about the mod. His drive was aerodynamics, along with enclosing the rad opening, splitter to the front crossmember and shaving the drip rails. Asked how long-been installed over 3 years-no street driving-just racing, no replacements, a few rock hits [he had the 'stars' repaired] but no cracks.

Looks to me as though he used the stock gasket, sliced off the outer layer and used modern adhesive-smoothing it afterward. He didn't do the install but had a glass shop do it.

Oh, he cleanly won his class and ran a 2:12.4 best lap. For reference I've touched 2:19 with my z on street tires and barely kept it on the track for that lap...

Windshield-also shows shaved drip rails

med_gallery_176_989_423815.jpg

Close up of corner

med_gallery_176_989_335554.jpg

Another close up

med_gallery_176_989_554579.jpg

Inside shot of stock gasket

med_gallery_176_989_542522.jpg

Not judging any of the previous posts nor do I possess any specialized knowledge about windows. Wanted to pass along info from a Z racer who found success with this.