HybridZ

280ZX with L28 TwinTurbo

willi

Hello!!!,

I have a Datsun 280zx mod. 80.

Version NA, with 170HP. 2.8Liters. 12 valves. RC: 8,8. Head N42.

I want to make it turbocharger.

I have 2 turbocompresor, from a VOLVO S80 mod 99.

I will maintain the engine standard and the boost pressure will be 10psi.

My objective of power estimated is 250HP.

And a have some questions:

Computer:

I need a Programmable Computer Unit.

AEM EMS V.2 Stand Alone,

Is it a good choice???

Intake Filter (x 2):

What is the better option?

KyN / PIPERCROSS / AEM / FUJITA

Gasket of Headers:

OEM???

Piping:

What is the better choice for the diameter of the piping???

Turbo to intercooler piping?

Intercooler to TB piping???

Diameter TB??

Intercooler:

Dimensions???

What is the better configuration???:

Inlet of intercooler for the right of the car (side of the spark plugs) and the outlet for the left (side of TB???

Valve Blow-Off:

THEZSTORE.COM / HKS / GREDDY / TIAL

Exhaust:

Diameter???

Wideband Lambda:

???

Injector (400cc):

THEZSTORE.COM / INYECTOR DYNAMIC

Fuel Pressure Regulator:

THEZSTORE.COM / AEROMOTIVE / WELDON

Fuel Pump:

???

Oilcooler:

THEZSTORE.COM

Spark Plugs:

NGK IRIDIUM

Gauges:

AEM / HKS / GREDDY

THANKS A LOT!!!

Willi

You can do 250hp from a mostly stock l28et. Add an intercooler(I'm using a stock unit from an EVO 8) an exhaust(mine is an MSA downpipe to a 3" exhaust), and an ecu/injectors and you're there with ease.

That's my setup in a nutshell, on 7.5 psi I ran a 13.4 at 101mph in a 2700lb(with me) car, that was a soft launch on street tires too, on drag radials or slicks I bet it would go 12's. I haven't made it to the dyno, but all the calculators put me around 230rwhp or 280ish bhp, even if it's optimistic, it's still well within your goal.

Hello!

Thanks for your response!.

Dexter72:

I have 2 turbocompresor, from a VOLVO S80 mod 99. I buyed both for u$d500.

And I prefer the twinturbos because with this configuration you can get better response, and low TURBO LAG...(I HATE THE TURBOLAG...)

Examples of 6 cylinders with TT:

Nissan 300zx

Nissan Skyline

Nissan GTR

Mitsubishi 3000GT/GTO

Toyota Supra

Audi S4/A6/RS6

Volvo S80

BMW 335i

Porsche 911

s30red240z:

I´m looking for the best performance, with this modification.

Always the first is the confiability of the engine.

rossman:

Well, My ZX make, 16seg and 215km/h, and my first objetive are 14seg and 250km/h...it is a moderate step...maybe.

But in the future my idea is prepare the engine for make a lot of power.

letitsnow:

GREAT TIMES!!!!, but, in Argentine, there aren´t a model 280ZX TURBO(L28ET)...

The L28 NA is the only way for start...

Thanks

REGARDS!!!

You can put the stock l28et parts on your N/A L28 and make very similar numbers, you could buy them here, but shipping might hurt a bit. I'm on the stock turbo, boost comes on at ~2300, anywhere around or above 3000 lag is almost nonexistent, my datalogs show something silly like .15sec to full boost from vacuum.

Twin turbo doesn't really make an appreciable difference in lag, yes each turbo is smaller, but it's being fed by half the engine. There are reasons to go twins, but spool time and boost threshold aren't really good ones.

I'd go with something easy to package personally, save the additional cost of another turbo, another wastegate, another downpipe and put it towards head porting, intake manifold porting, and a cam.

I have a Datsun 280zx mod. 80.

Version NA, with 170HP. 2.8Liters. 12 valves. RC: 8,8. Head N42.

I want to make it turbocharger.

I have 2 turbocompresor, from a VOLVO S80 mod 99.

I will maintain the engine standard and the boost pressure will be 10psi.

My objective of power estimated is 250HP.

And a have some questions:

Computer:

I need a Programmable Computer Unit.

AEM EMS V.2 Stand Alone,

Is it a good choice???

It’s only as good as the tuner that is available in your area. I just installed a Haltech e11v2. It has been superceded now, but is still nice with a lot of features. However, I had an SDS unit in my car before, and honestly, if I had to tune it by myself with a wideband 02 sensor I’d use the SDS. Much less complicated.

Intake Filter (x 2):

KyN / PIPERCROSS / AEM / FUJITA

Any reputable brand should be ok. K&N is widely used up here. Some people shy away from foam filters.

Gasket of Headers:

OEM???

Sure

Piping:

What is the better choice for the diameter of the piping???

Turbo to intercooler piping?

Intercooler to TB piping???

Diameter TB??

I’ve used 2.25 and 2.5 inch tubing and both have been fine for the power levels you’re seeking. My throttle body is from a BMW 535i (1980’s) and has around 70mm internal diameter. It’s fine. Some of the cheaper ebay TB’s leak boost. Infiniti Q45 TB’s are used by some Supra tuners so should be fine for your application.

Intercooler:

Dimensions???

What is the better configuration???:

Inlet of intercooler for the right of the car (side of the spark plugs) and the outlet for the left (side of TB???

Whatever fits, which can be pretty large on the 280zx I think. I’d measure the available space and then check ebay for intercoolers in that approximate size. Some people shy away from them, but I’ve used mine with no issues.

Valve Blow-Off:

THEZSTORE.COM / HKS / GREDDY / TIAL

I’m not familiar with what zstore.com has to offer. Any of the others should be fine. I have a Greddy Type-S and it works great

Exhaust:

Diameter???

If you’re using 2 small turbo’s then the downpipes could be smaller , but it should be 3 inches under the car to the tailpipe.

Wideband Lambda:

I use an Innovate LM-1. It works fine, can datalog, and has readily available 02 sensors

Injector (400cc):

THEZSTORE.COM / INYECTOR DYNAMIC

May as well go larger if you’re buying new, but you should be able to pick up MKIII Supra injectors that are 440cc for not much money. I have 2 sets just sitting around and I’m sure others do as well. Check out Fuel Injector Clinic as well. I don’t know that many suppliers stock barb type injectors anymore, but I’m not caught up on that subject.

Fuel Pressure Regulator:

THEZSTORE.COM / AEROMOTIVE / WELDON

Again, not familiar with zstore.com. The others should be fine. I use an SARD and it’s been fine

Fuel Pump:

Aeromotive has a new 340lph pump for a good price and that will fuel more than you’ll need. Bosch 044 is good. Many choices out there, some people have success with Walbro, I wasn’t one of them…

Oilcooler:

THEZSTORE.COM

Spark Plugs:

NGK IRIDIUM

Not sure Iridiums are worth it. I’d just get the normal NGK’s for the turbo and see how it goes

Gauges:

AEM / HKS / GREDDY

I think anyone would be happy with any of the above. There are VDO and Autometer also. Speedhut makes nice looking gauges as well including a GPS speedometer. I have Prosport which is kind of a knock off brand, but they work great so I’m fine with them and like the look.

Like has been noted, you can get you power goals out of a single turbo easily, and it’s a lot less complex, but if you want twins I say go for it. May as well be different. (I’d go single though….)

You can do 250hp from a mostly stock l28et. Add an intercooler(I'm using a stock unit from an EVO 8) an exhaust(mine is an MSA downpipe to a 3" exhaust), and an ecu/injectors and you're there with ease.

That's my setup in a nutshell, on 7.5 psi I ran a 13.4 at 101mph in a 2700lb(with me) car, that was a soft launch on street tires too, on drag radials or slicks I bet it would go 12's. I haven't made it to the dyno, but all the calculators put me around 230rwhp or 280ish bhp, even if it's optimistic, it's still well within your goal.

MSA downpipe doesn't work on the S130 chasis in case the OP tries to purchase and install one....

250hp needs hardly any aftermarket items. A standalone EMS is flexible, Megasquirt is definitely good for the money, and you can use whatever injectors you want. No need for large plumbing or throttle body, 2" (50mm) is just fine, as well as 2-1/2" exhaust, standard S130 L28ET works great.

I use the Bosch 044 pump and Autometer gauges, cheap and simple. DO NOT use Iridium plugs; for whatever reason they don't work well on an L28, just use regular copper NGK, factory heat range or 1 step colder, depending on your tune.

Twin turbos are cool, but difficult to plumb with no performance advantage. They will not reduce perceived lag.

Thanks a lot SUPRA510 and SleeperZ!!!.

I really appreciate your response!.

Ok, for the TB. I will mantein the std.

I didn´t know, the ngk iridium don´t work well...Thanks!.

I will use the regular copper NGK, with 1 step colder.

I will send photos of the modification!.

Regards!

the NGK Iridiums do work well. Some people don't like the additional cost though- cant say I blame them. Instead of twin turbo just use a good single with a good turbo header leading into it. The turbo header can make a HUGE difference in spool time.

the NGK Iridiums do work well. Some people don't like the additional cost though- cant say I blame them. Instead of twin turbo just use a good single with a good turbo header leading into it. The turbo header can make a HUGE difference in spool time.

I've never had any troubles With my NGK Iridium's . But a comment on the turbo Header the stock one is perfectly Fine there is a Guy in Nissan sport magazine stock Turbo manifold with porting Putting out 600hp. Jeffp Also has a really powerful L series On stock turbo manifold Pushing 450-500hp.

The money being spent to get a custom single turbo manifold or Twin Will be costly and I'm sure u can make more power with that money spent else where. Its all in preference I guess, I have a custom turbo manifold for my project , But probably won't go on for a while after Porting and all the other head work to come.

But good luck on what ever u decide to do . I say Slap a turbo kit on your z and see how u like it . You can always use one of your Volvo turbos and save one as a spare.

JeffP made more than that on a stock manifold ...

In fact, he discarded the tubular manifold he had and went back to a stock (ported) Nissan cast iron manifold as the passages internally were larger and it didn't warp uncontrollably.

Nissan manifold, modified for external wastegate...650+Hp

In fact, he discarded the tubular manifold he had and went back to a stock (ported) Nissan cast iron manifold as the passages internally were larger and it didn't warp uncontrollably.

Here you go 'willi'

I had a link to it when I was looking at what could be done to the Datsun manifold.

http://www.angelfire.com/extreme/280zxt/page11.html

Nigel

I was waiting for Tony D to give us the numbers Thanks Wiki D... :D

But like I said the stock single turbo manifold is a great piece and no real point in paying a ton for a twin set up unless it will be a dream come true.

Examples of 6 cylinders with TT:

Nissan 300zx

Nissan Skyline

Nissan GTR

Mitsubishi 3000GT/GTO

Toyota Supra

Audi S4/A6/RS6

Volvo S80

BMW 335i

Porsche 911...

GREAT TIMES!!!!, but, in Argentine, there aren´t a model 280ZX TURBO(L28ET)...

The L28 NA is the only way for start...

Thanks for the list, obviously proving that two turbos are better than one, always, everytime, in other words "the best".

And since there is no factory l28et in your home market you should have to have a custom one off expensive twin turbo manifold, because the factory nissan ones are never on ebay for $50-$75 u.s.d.

Now I see that you are right, and all the posters above that told you to search because the information is out there (if not on this very site) were so blatantly wrong.

Keep up the good work. We are all looking forward to your 5 year, $5000, 250hp turbo build. I can't wait!

Edited by roger280zx