HybridZ

Is this a good deal?

280zmn

Owners description

".030" over bore.Never dynoed. It's fun, just not what I was hoping for. Engine was built from scratch, meaning all new stuff put in it. Used a turbo block, 2mm larger pistons. 10:1 compression, Crane cam, 1mm larger intake valves, with 5angle valve job. Even smoothed the inside of the block for faster oil return to the pan. Minor porting to the head.

Stock hp was 145, so if I were to guess, maybe somewhere around 180. Since this wasnt enough for me, I added a stock turbo set-up. 100 octane is necessary to avoid detonating. And that still isnt enough to satisfy me. I have an Isuzu intercooler, a type that others have used, but since I wasnt particularly happy with the power, I never took the time to install. This engine probably should not have a turbo on it for longevity. Since I got it running with the turbo on it, I have probably driven it through about 2 tanks of gas. 100 octane is a bit pricey. Right now its been deluted down with 91 and has less than 1/8 tank. I wont need the transmission either. Only mod to it is a Centerforce II clutch. I would imagine $1200 for both engine and trans. I put in about $2500 for the engine. You could have all my other parts too, if you want. Not much of them, but it would include a n/a intake.

And, like I said, you can come by anytime and check it out, running, in the car."

It's from an 83 280zx turbo. He's asking $1200. Good deal?

The car is kinda far from me so i just asked him more questions.. apparently it's only detonating with the stock turbo system. The car is tuned without the turbo he says.

his description

"All of it would be there. Everything mentioned. But like I said. Using the turbo is probably not advisable on this engine. I figured a stock turbo set-up, at 7lbs of boost with an intercoooler would be good with the engines 10:1 comp. Now that its on there, I would say not. The whistle is pretty damn cool to hear though. The car runs just fine on 91, providing the turbo does not spool up, then it will start to stumble. I could not get the car to run using the turbo dizzy, ecu and wiring harness. So back in went the n/a stuff. I suppose not having the turbo distributor ability to adjust timing may be having an effect on its running capabilities under boost. Anytime you want to see everything, just say so."

at first i thought it was a good deal if it was running right but i guess it is not. Sounds to me like it needs a turbo set up, and since he's running stock this is probably the reason why it's not running right.. what do you guys think?

It's not an L28ET from a 1983 ZX, it's an L28 custom built to a set of mystery specifications. If you're not an expert on the L28 (I'm not) and proficient in engine work in general, it will probably be a one long headache, unless you're looking for a project to learn on. You could probably find something that will run better and last longer than that setup, for less than $1200. It looks like someone tried an engine-building experiment, it didn't work and they're cutting their losses.

Edited by NewZed

I'd pick it up for.... ...hmm, $400 maybe. But I'd need to know a few more things. There might be some worthwhile parts in there, but as an engine I'd definitely not consider it a "ready to run" motor. I'd sooner pick up a bone stock L28ET out of a junkyard in an unknown condition than that motor.

In the future, if someone can't name exactly what parts are there, then don't bother. If you can name the compression, but don't list the head, crank, rods, and pistons used then what the hell is the person listing the information for?

I think the ONLY time I might buy a "built" engine from someone who didn't build it, is if the current owner was pulling the motor to put something else in. Like if someone bought a 240Z with a mild/hot L28 but wanted to go V8, well in that case even though they might not know squat about L motors it still might be something to consider. I'd still not pay full premium though. If they didn't build it, they can't expect to get half of what the builder put into it.

I bought a built engine from a guy once. Refused to pay a premium for it. Some time later doing som leak repair I was more than shocked to find there actually WERE forged slugs, lightened rods and performance cam in the thing.

Of course I took PHOTOS of it all apart so if I ever sell, I got proof other than my word!

yeah i skipped out on the deal because it was just to high. But he wanted to swap in a V8. That was his reasoning for selling the motor.

I found a donor car, 82 280zx turbo. Owner says It has been sitting for 8 years due to floorboards rotting, but it ran good before that. He said it cranks over with a fresh battery but does not start. He is asking 500 for it. should i take this deal instead and just do a complete motor swap over? My do My head gasket blew and I've been wanting to go turbo so I'm using that as an excuse to do it soon.

I'm just afraid the donor car motor is trash, but since it cranks it's not seized. What signs should i look our for when looking at the car?

For $500 you'll do fine, even if the motor needs some work. I'd go the car, ready to tow it if needed, and bring some basic tools. After giving the guy his money and he's happy and such, go to work. Put in a battery and get some starting fluid to spray into the intake. See if it'll fire at all with the fluid.

Tony just covered this in another thread, but most issues can be fixed under and hour just by going through the FSM checklist of things to test regarding the EFI system.

If you don't feel like spending the time out there in the field, I'd stop if starting fluid didn't get it coughing at all. If that's the case you've got something wrong with the spark which could be very basic, or slightly more complicated. Do some basic checks before giving up of course, but if it looks like it's stock and nothings out of place then I'd bet money it's a quick and easy fix.

My local junkyards want more than $500 for a motor with harness, so it's a deal almost no matter what in my opinion. I've scored a L28ET for under $300, but those deals aren't too common. Whole donor car for $500? That's wonderful. I'd jump on it myself.

• 2 weeks later...