HybridZ

Best swap for mid-engine balance

Just a comment on the stock engine placement. 240 with L28/5 speed, R200 and Autopower roll bar was 49.5F / 50.5R. I didn't even move the battery. These cars are really close out of the box.

I love that little V8 idea, but think that it's better suited to a smaller car like a 7 clone or an Atom or Radical or something like that.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My advice is to not concern yourself with weight distribution but instead get the car to a safe standard and on the track so you can feel what a tremendous track weapon a Z can be with the engine right where the engineers put it. Over the last two years, with John C's wrenching genius, we have slowly transformed a bone stock daily driver 1970 240Z into a very effective street/track machine. I spent last weekend up at Willow Springs Raceway running my Z with the Porsche Owners Club. I have adjustable Tokiko shocks, an OS Giken Limited Slip with a 4.11 final gear on a 280Z 5-speed, Toyo RA1 tires and stock brakes (for now) and stock ride height (for now). The engine dyno'd out at 119 HP but I was only about a second behind the street legal Boxsters. I've spent track time in a rear-engined (1969 Porsche 911E), a mid-engined (1975 Porsche 914 w/3.2) and now a front-engined (240Z) car. And while I loved how my 914 rotated, what I didn't like was the near zero warning before it broke loose. And when it did break loose, it was like someone spinning a spoon on a tabletop. Very difficult to save. Around and around you go. So before you move stuff, transplant stuff, why not try the car at 10/10's and enjoy the sturdy predictability of the weighting just the way it came out of the factory? You'll be surprised at the size of the smile on your face at the end of the day. :D

My advice is to not concern yourself with weight distribution but instead get the car to a safe standard and on the track so you can feel what a tremendous track weapon a Z can be with the engine right where the engineers put it. Over the last two years, with John C's wrenching genius, we have slowly transformed a bone stock daily driver 1970 240Z into a very effective street/track machine. I spent last weekend up at Willow Springs Raceway running my Z with the Porsche Owners Club. I have adjustable Tokiko shocks, an OS Giken Limited Slip with a 4.11 final gear on a 280Z 5-speed, Toyo RA1 tires and stock brakes (for now) and stock ride height (for now). The engine dyno'd out at 119 HP but I was only about a second behind the street legal Boxsters. I've spent track time in a rear-engined (1969 Porsche 911E), a mid-engined (1975 Porsche 914 w/3.2) and now a front-engined (240Z) car. And while I loved how my 914 rotated, what I didn't like was the near zero warning before it broke loose. And when it did break loose, it was like someone spinning a spoon on a tabletop. Very difficult to save. Around and around you go. So before you move stuff, transplant stuff, why not try the car at 10/10's and enjoy the sturdy predictability of the weighting just the way it came out of the factory? You'll be surprised at the size of the smile on your face at the end of the day. :D

Thank you so much. Honestly, you guys are the best.

Howdy all,

As much as I like multi valved ali engines, there seems to be greater bang for the buck with some of the G.M. push rod engines. I am building a turbo ecotec engine for one of my toys. While doing research for that I came across the G.M. "high value" engine. Its a 60 degrre v6 at almost 4.0 lts and makes nice power in stock form. Its also light and importantly...compact. If we had those down in this part of the world i would be playing with it. It seems to make similar H.P to the smaler multi valves with greater TQ due to being larger. They say the heads ar similar to the ls v8 family so there is lots of room for development.Dont know about rear wheel drive trans for it. Seeing its based on the old 2.8v6 maybe you can use a trans from one of those.

Cheers,

Douglas

Edited by ZROSSA

I see your 4 cylinder engine, and raise you 1 wankel rotary.

PICT0145.sized.jpg

Not sexy enough? Fine fine.

enginebay20-8.jpg

Buy 2 rotors, get 1 free. Thats a 3 rotor 20b.

Course if you want to go the other way, We had a very interesting Z come into the shop I worked at awhile ago:

IMG_0429.jpg

Edited by Sideways

That blue rotary is very nicely done. Props to that guy.

IMG_0429.jpg

I've heard rumors about this swap. It's cool, but that's a 500+ lb engine plus whatever the transmission weighs....

Fer sure the LARGEST motor you could put in there. Well, maybe someone could try to shoehorn one of these into a Z:

800px-Jaguar_5.3_V12_Engine.jpg