HybridZ

Affordable S30 Strut Inserts

zgeezer

I need suggestions as to what a reasonable economical strut insert should cost: also, what brand?

Ten years ago, I installed a set of Gabriel gas shocks on all four corners. Installed and forgotten. Yesterday, I dismantled a front strut to repaint and discovered that the insert could be compressed with the palm of one hand. After four cycles, the strut regained some resistance, but it is still less than 35#. Measured on my bathroom scale. I'm looking for other strut inserts, but my budget is no more than $200 for all four corners.

Does anyone have any brand recommendations. This is not a track car, it is a Gen III swap. Most of my driving is at slightly above speed limit... 70-80mph out the 10 to AZ or up the 395 to Reno NV. I'm looking for more of a "GT" ride again not a Track Car.

This Z is not lowered and runs stock springs. My other ride is a MazdaSpeed MX5 (Miata) and I'm hoping for a much "softer" ride than that one. My tires today will be 205 x 14 and might go to 205 x 15. I'll keep the tall sidewall and don't expect to be running anything lower than 60.

All suggestions welcome.

g

Well looks like your best option is gonna be KYB gas struts. MSA has them on sale for 95 bucks per pair right now ( http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/CTGY/PSDC02A ) I wouldn't personally run KYB's but that's pretty much the only thing you're gonna find for that price I'd think. Be warned though, I have heard bad things about them wearing out prematurely.

You'll be happier with autozone shocks than with a dead shock. Unfortunately, the last set I bought from the parts house was about $49 each! Put a "wanted" add in the classifieds on this forum and see what turns up. Used parts aren't worth that much, so maybe you'll get lucky and something nice will turn up. I bought some springs that way. Most of the guys on this forum are straight-up, and many have a big stash of used stuff that they can't emotionally let go to waste or get crushed, but they'd be happy to hand-me-down to a fellow z-car lover. I've given away a motor, several open diffs, several transmissions, various body panels, etc. Sorry, I don't have any shocks or I'd hook you up.

I've used the non-adjustable Tokikos for years on stock suspension (just Eibach 1" lowered springs), much smoother than KYBs or other low-budget inserts.

There are two KYB's. The GR2's (which I think have been renamed) are the comfy shocks. The gas-a-just are the really stiff ones. The GR2's are much smoother riding than the Tokico Blues.

The GR-2 is called Excel-G now - http://www.kyb.com/service/color.php

I don't have much shock experience, I've only experienced stock shocks (oil-submerged inserts in the strut tubes), one of which was blown and bound, and the KYB GR-2/Excel-Gs that I replaced them with. The KYBs are much better. I don't really notice them, which seems like a good thing, no urge for something better. It's a street only car. My car is also lowered about an inch and a half on cut springs, with no problems. The ride is firm and they take the bumps well.

I have a used set of KYB GR-2s that I pulled when I did a suspension rebuild. All are in good working order, and likely not a lot of miles on them (I removed them shortly after I got the car). They're boxed up and ready to be shipped, send a PM if you're interested!

There you go! You can just wake up early, jump on the PCH and head north to Leon's. Catch an evening glass-off surf session by the light of the ferris wheel at the Santa Cruz lighthouse before heading home. Shocks on and back on the road by Monday. I love this forum! Doin' a little California dreamin'

Edited by RebekahsZ
  • Like 1

There you go! You can just wake up early, jump on the PCH and head north to Leon's. Catch an evening glass-off surf session by the light of the ferris wheel at the Santa Cruz lighthouse before heading home. Shocks on and back on the road by Monday. I love this forum! Doin' a little California dreamin'

I wouldn't mind at all. Hell, I'll help install the shocks right there in my driveway if that were the case! :D

I wouldn't mind at all. Hell, I'll help install the shocks right there in my driveway if that were the case! :D

:angry:Da***mn, I just hit the "send" button to buy the same shock inserts from an on line provider.

G

• 2 years later...

I have a used set of KYB GR-2s that I pulled when I did a suspension rebuild. All are in good working order, and likely not a lot of miles on them (I removed them shortly after I got the car). They're boxed up and ready to be shipped, send a PM if you're interested!

I realize I'm reviving a two year old thread, but.........do you still have those struts?  If so, I'd be interested in them.