HybridZ

Speedhunter's Car of the Year

bens1088

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm torn on this.

On the one hand it's nice to see the S30 getting some respect. But I'm not a particular fan of THIS one. While I can appreciate a rough, work-in-progress street car (see below) I tend to appreciate them for their functionality, much of which has been negated in this car by the ride height, or lack thereof. Maybe Cali roads are made of glass, but that car would be stuck high-centered in the middle of the road in NYC.

Also, I worry about the popularity of these sort of cars driving up the prices of our cars. I never looked at Z's as an investment, and love the fact that replacement parts are relatively plentiful and inexpensive, and I hope that doesn't go the way of the AE86 or 240sx. That said, I'm only 24 so complaining about "those danged kids" buying up Z's is a little silly for me to do.

Ultimately, the guy clearly loves and uses his car, and I'm sure there are alot of guys who would say the same about me doing a resto-mod with an early Series I car, so who am I to judge.

Lol he's in The bay area so I bet he has to avoid the hills at all costs. I laughed when it said he could do a track day.

Z's have been getting more and more popular with the "drift" kids who think old school is a Series 2 (DA's for those who know) integra. Z's have been getting hyped up way too much by this crowd. If it was just a little higher and a solid color I think I'd like it more. Not that I absolutely hate it.

Edited by BluDestiny

LOL!

I love how people immediately assume that because a car is low, that it can't be driven... even though every article that has a said low car, always states that it is driven daily or driven often.

I like aspects of the Z in the linked speedhunters article, but I'm sure there are nicer cars that should have won "readers car of the year." I'd like to see some better pictures of the heater control panel modifications and what was done for heater control.

Now we know that the "Speed" part of Speedhunters is BS. :-)

More like Stancehunters...

I really want to like the car, since it looks pretty good, but if your frame rails are dragging on the ground, your car is simply too ******* low! I love low cars, but, at least with sports cars, they still need to be able to perform as intended.

More like Stancehunters...

I really want to like the car, since it looks pretty good, but if your frame rails are dragging on the ground, your car is simply too ******* low! I love low cars, but, at least with sports cars, they still need to be able to perform as intended.

If he had any travel left in the suspension it would be a positive camber curve. Can only imagine what angle the control arms are at now. Ouch! I guess it doesn't matter it looks bottomed out anyways. :D

I find it entertaining how people, who I would assume have never driven a car this low, especially the particular car in question, rag on how "un-usable" it is, when everytime a car this low comes up, the articles always say often it is driven, and on everyday streets...

Just say'n. ;)

You know, when you are jamming thru a sweeper at the limit of adhesion, you occasionally encounter a bump, or a rock, or a gum wrapper. I think the reason we rag on it (totally slammed cars) is because most of us have tried it. Every time I try to lower my car an inch, I come back to the shop and raise it two inches! Played with ride height this weekend a bunch with trials over road seams, high speed corners and straight aways at speeds overs 100 mph. Frame rails are at 5 inches and it is still too darn low to drive on remote, deserted roads with confident abandon which I why I built this car. Now that ratsun exists I hope most of these customizers will gravitate that direction and keep this a high perf site.

• Administrators

Since this topic is coming up with increasing frequency... If a member is posting his slammed car with 195's stretched over 10" wheels because he doesn't know the difference, I have no issue with it. He'll learn by his own experiences and perhaps with some help from our members that some of his choices may be counterproductive to a sports car/race car. When a member posts the same with an "I don't give a F*** what the consequences are, I'm cool." then he is on the wrong forum. There are other forums that welcome that style and that's their function. It is not the function of HybridZ.

Every generation of Z was designed, built, and sold to be a sporting car. This forum is about getting the most out the Z, not the least.

I would like to postulate that even though the owner of that car may drive it "on everyday streets" , I gaurantee he avoids EVERY speedbump and pothole, he approaches every dip/driveway at an angle, and goes out of his way to make sure he drives on the "easy" streets. I dare anyone to deny it strictly because the reality of the situation is that if he didn't his car would be torn to shreds.

I would also like to thank RTz and the other moderators for the excellent job they do of maintaining the focus of this forum. I think it was very appropriate in suggesting that particular mindsets or attitudes are probably best suited for other forums. i very much appreciate when I don't have to sift through a thread because when I searched for camber it came up with someone who "slammed and stretched" because they think it looks cool.

I find it entertaining how people, who I would assume have never driven a car this low, especially the particular car in question, rag on how "un-usable" it is, when everytime a car this low comes up, the articles always say often it is driven, and on everyday streets...

Just say'n. ;)

Oh you CAN drive it, but this kinda stuff just seems silly to me.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=MX9LgeBf58U

www.youtube.com/watch?v=MX9LgeBf58U

Edited by zero