HybridZ

Buying advice...would you bite? help asap!

looking at this Z just wanted some expert input. car is complete, interior is apart but all there. engine is a L28 and runs well with dual su's. car is a 73 240z clean title good tires brakes, new glass and weather seals all around. only problem is the rust on the passenger door has eaten through the outer skin and the rails under the car are rotten. i'm post pictures when i get home

A lot depends on the price. Anything can be fixed but cost more if you have it done vs doing it yourself. If you have the skills and can get the car cheap enough do it.

Be prepared to find more rust then what you see. Always seems to be that way with Z's.

It looks weathered. If the door and rails are rusted through/rotted it is likley that you will find other rotted out areas. I would pass on this one.

Do yourself a huge favor and keep looking for a stock Z with minimum rust, original wiring and has not been chopped up.

Do you go to asu? My cousin lives there and I actually broke down in Scottsdale like 4 days ago.

As for the car I would buy it for cheap or expecting to part of out or strip it and build it from the ground up. Either way I would only get it cheap.

Yes I do go to ASU, that's no fun about the breakdown but I guess it happens...yeah i'm definitely looking for minimum rust, I have only looked at a few so far and don't write have a scale of what is acceptable and what isn't on these cars. I realize they are 40 years old so yeah.

What would you define as CHEAP in this scenario? Only reason i asked this "asap" is that i have a trailer available only till tomorrow afternoon so if i want this one, I'd need to get it quick.

20120815_152426.jpg20120815_152416.jpg

Edited by motorhead87

Your pictures seem to show everything except the rust you mentioned, through the door skin and the rotten rails under the car. Maybe I'm not good at looking at internet pictures but I don't see a lot of deep rust damage. Lots of surface rust, but no major holes.

My 76 has a row of rust holes along the bottom third of the both doors but the rest of the car is solid. I think that Nissan's design for keeping water out of the doors was poor. The car might be fine except for the doors, and might be a good buy. I don't see where it's "toast" at all.

Floor pans and under the battery are common rust spots, that can rust completely away. Check those out. Take a picture of the rusted out frame rails. Look in the spare tire well for rust. Check the fuse box area for rust and corrosion that would indicate water got in that could affect the wiring.

You said it runs but does it drive? Things like brake cylinders, calipers, clutch and brake master cylinders, clutch slave cylinder, etc. will nickel and dime you in to the hundreds for sure, maybe thousands more.

Battery was solid, he had used POR-15 on it as well as couple other places. the second picture i posted shows the worst rust, i think i have one more better one. not sure if it drives, i think it does but not 100%. it is all intact though i traced the lines and all is there

20120815_152038.jpg

Edited by motorhead87

At least from the pictures you supplied, it doesn't look too bad. But you described much worse. So which is it? And by the way, would you mind actually posting how much the seller is asking? It might go a long way in determining. For $200, I'd say jump on it. For $2000, no way.

I went all the way to the other side of the country for a Z with no rust. You're already there.

Im no expert, but the advice i see most often is to buy the nicest Z you can afford to start your project and avoid as much cancer/rot as you can.

Edited by ryan95i4

Well, the car is worth what it's worth to you. I'd say: keep looking. We just bought a '71, very straight frame, floors and frame rails intact, for less than $800. Rust remediation is a PITA unless you have the time, experience, & tools (and/or $$$). Buy a solid foundation, the rest is fairly easy. Most AZ cars are fairly rust-free, but there are an awful lot of cars here that came from somewhere else...

I'm getting my zed ready for sale and I hope to get what I can out of it. When I got mine originally there was no real rust, but since then the frame rails need to be either capped or replaced with new metal. make sure you tap on the rubber undercoating on the rails/floors since they can hide it easily.