HybridZ

staggered vs square

Looks like i'm getting a set of the Rota RB's for my 240Z.   What set up would be the best?  17X9.5 all around? or 17X9 up front.  Can anyone tell me the handling characteristics from these setups?   I have the fender flares installed, but i wanted to see if there were any handling benefits from running the 275's on all corners.    

How much hp are you making? and what suspension are you running?

Lastly when you get these tires will they be for looks or actual track/autox time. Note I didn't say performance, I said track/autox time.

You will get more rubber if you go 275's all around, but you will also gain weight. That is why I ask the above questions. I know SunnyZ put 275's all around.

Not to thread jack....but a related question. I'm running 17X8.5 with 245's all around -square. Is there a problem running a stagger if I decided to get 9.5's for the back and ran 275's just on the rear. Is there negative effects running staggered sizes as far as handling for a DD that does some autoX.

What set up would be the best?

Remember, there is no best on HybridZ,

Is there negative effects running staggered sizes as far as handling for a DD that does some autoX.

Running staggered tire sizes sets the car up for more underteer in steady state cornering.  It isn't an issue for a street driven car because you rarely, if ever exceed 8/10ths on the road.  For your autocross plans it will be an issue.

John, is there any way to reasonable correct that understeer with adjustable suspension like changing camber, or is there anything you can do to the front tires to counteract this? 

I am thinking that what you said is more of a rule of thumb and would just like to know more. 

A staggered setup can handle well.  Basic suspension tuning (springs, shock adjustment, bars, alignment, air pressures) is all that's needed.  Amir's old SR20DET 260Z with 255s front and 275s rear handled well and was fairly neutral on the track.  But that same car would have been a bit faster around the track with 275s all around.  We could have moved more roll stiffness to the front of the car because the 275 width tires could handle it.  Doing that would have allowed us to soften the rear a bit and helped put power down.  We're talking small changes (25 lb. in. in spring rate, 1 mm in bar thickness) but it would have reduced the lap times.

I have 275s all the way around on my 17x9.5 Rotas. The main thing for me when I decided to not stagger my wheels was being able to rotate my tires. Can't really vouch for the handling characterstics as my suspension is sub par at best, but my car is quick around the autocross for having blown struts and what not. SunnyZ is also running 275s on all 4. Unless you have a specific reason for not wanting fat tires up front, then I say go with the 275s all the way around.

-Will

Thanks for the replies.  This car will see a good amount of track duty.  I've not dyno'd my engine yet, but it is a cam'd LS6.  suspension is poly bushings(camber adjustable) tokico springs and struts (not adjustable).  upgraded tension rods, shortend steering knuckles.  I will be going coil over however.  1 inch sway bar front along with rear sway bar.  3.9 R200 LSD.  I tracked my car quite a bit running 15/ 225's hoosiers all around and a 3.0L stroker motor.  Car still had quite a bit of understeer.   for the record, i like GO more than SHOW.  I went ahead and orderd 9.5's all corners.  Jumping in with both feet!!!

Edited by dreco

My car is dedicated V8 track car. I have tried the 9.5 vs 9 in the front and the rear and ended up with the wider rims in the front. Wish I had the wider ones all around. They are all 255 tires but you can still tell a difference. You made a wise choice IME.

Cameron

• 2 weeks later...

My car is dedicated V8 track car. I have tried the 9.5 vs 9 in the front and the rear and ended up with the wider rims in the front. Wish I had the wider ones all around. They are all 255 tires but you can still tell a difference. You made a wise choice IME.

Cameron

thanks.. My wheels just came in!

Pics?

sorry, Theyre at the shop.  Went down to inspect them but completely forgot to snap pictures haha.  I'll probably get to it this weekend.

FYI I got them in Royal Black with the Polished lip.

Edited by dreco

• 2 months later...