HybridZ

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Remember I was joking about picking up 260z cars at the same time?   http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/111244-evil-z-final-version/

Leon.   WOW - CLSD plus 3.9:1 plus higher gear ratios from the 5 speed... very nice!   Regarding your tail section and grill section.  I had mine powder coated satin black.  Th

It's been long enough! The car has been on the road for a few years now and I needed to catch up on some maintenance and upgrades this past Friday. On the to-do list was some maintenance, mainly diagn

Posted Images

• 10 months later...
Posted (edited)

Happy new year! May this one be more fruitful than the last.

Time for an update. The Z had been down from January of 2020 for a "quick" re-gasket, meaning I got it back on the road in... November. There was a fuel drip from the carb insulators so those were replaced along with all carb gaskets. The plastic spacers and gaskets were replaced with the o-ring and thackery washer style.

I went to the dyno in early December to see if I could sort my fueling with Keith's latest jets as well as figure out the high-RPM cut I've been getting. The dyno day was useful in helping see what's going on with the fueling but I couldn't figure out the cut-out. I did note that it happens at 5500RPM consistently. It was making good power though, about 193whp (w/ filters) before the 5500RPM cut. An adjustable cam gear is on its way to help further dial in the motor.

Fast forward to the past week, (temporarily) installed a wideband and reworked the rear brakes (but still having parking brake lockup issues). Then I shot-gunned some things that were at hand in an attempt to remedy the 5500RPM cut-out. A fresh coil didn't do it but fresh plugs did! All it took was a set of spark plugs to get the car running way better than it probably has before. The plugs in the car weren't that old but it seems they'd gotten fuel/carbon fouled enough to cause some problems. If it happens again, I'm going to try a hotter plug but for now I've replaced with the same: BPR6ES-11.

I did some runs up and down the freeway on NYE and got the main jets dialed in for our new years day drive. Swapped back to the ZX distributor from the 123 as the motor seems to run a bit better that way. I'm going to investigate this further on a future dyno day. We took a 150 mile loop around the Santa Cruz mountains, the Z got the most exercise it's ever had given how much time it spent over 6000RPM!

Without further adieu, the obligatory accompanying photos:

12/28/20 - drove over to a buddy's house for the wideband install and other Z things

IMG_9684.jpg.c28dfa8e60f160d698dbcc8024c84079.jpg

image.png.a6451027ef612ead520e5f0e9fece3ef.png

1/1/21 - Alice's / SC Mountain Drive

IMG_9718.jpg.0404e5b7387e8c0983fb011565f8898d.jpg

IMG_9713.jpg.1b283f9cbabfd40daad7578b2d3e0377.jpg

IMG_9720.jpg.cd0e493f0ffa565501da5f493645ff52.jpg

IMG_9705.jpg.645b6e01109e9af0ef63b87a0a04058f.jpg

IMG_9708.jpg.224d8ef4178ac3786f7a2f8fdc4bca01.jpg

Edited by Leon
fixed photos
Posted (edited)

I should say, I also FINALLY went to mount my Compe handle (steering wheel) and I may be called a heathen, but I think I prefer my Grant! I like the thicker grip, larger offset, and larger diameter of the Grant. Considering putting the Compe wheel on the market or hanging it on the wall in my garage...

Edited by Leon
4 hours ago, jhm said:

I can certainly see that.  My leather-covered 3-spoke Grant is my favorite steering wheel of all that I've tried over the years!

Nice! Yeah, it just works and fits well with the car.  This feels like a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" situation. :)