HybridZ

darn rookie mistakes!!!

280zex

Well I did it again, I used the wrong throw bearing collar for my 240sx trans swap!!! I had the correct parts seperated on the bench for the job at hand, but some how I swaped for the wrong ones ;-(

This aint the first time either, now its x3 I have gone and used the wrong throw bearing collar in the last 10 years.

I even have 2 different work benches for part seperation........

You would think I'd have learned my lesson, not!!!!

• Like 1

The only thing that the 240SX transmission offers is the front cover for the collar to ride on.  The clutch fork pivot point is on the 71B bellhousing.  You could bolt on just the 71B bellhousing and get the clutch to work, if you could keep the fork from dropping.  You might rethink things.

The only thing that the 240SX transmission offers is the front cover for the collar to ride on.  The clutch fork pivot point is on the 71B bellhousing.  You could bolt on just the 71B bellhousing and get the clutch to work, if you could keep the fork from dropping.  You might rethink things.

I'm just going to remove the throw collar and bearing, then install the correct (slightly longer) unit that is sitting on my work bench.

I had a total slap face moment when I pushed the clutch pedal and it hit the floor like butter.................

Yes i was suposed to use the 240sx collar and bearing, but i didnt....

At least i can do the swap out in about 10 minutes as the z is still on the jack stands!!

Wow, in 10 minutes! amazing speed! My car is on the jack stand waiting for installing new tranny already a couple of weeks.

I believe you use the 240sx TB. That's why the 71b tranny has to get machined.

Thanks. Good for my future reference. Once my 71B goes bad, I will swap to 240SX tranny in the future.

Could use a longer rod in the slave to make up the difference.

And when it won't engage, cut it about 5mm and it works grand!

Yup this was my solution. I just ground down a long bolt and rounded the ends on the bench grinder :wink:

Unless the snout that the collar rides on is different diameter, the 240sx collar should be the same as the turbo/2+2 which means you use it for the bigger of the two clutche surfaces correct? If running the smaller clutch surface then run the 71B or any of the other collars aside from 240sx/turbo/2+2.

Just have to clarify that because I have uh.......... 5 delinquent trannies out in my shed with their collars tossed in a bucket and I didn't keep track.

So many trannies, such little time.

Edited by josh817