HybridZ

Custom trailer for Z-car?

RebekahsZ

https://www.facebook.com/AirbaggedTrailers

Laugh all you want...... but when the time comes for me to get a trailer, I will be ordering one of these.  Not for sure from these guys but one with the same concept.......

It's a nice concept but for the $12K asking price I'd rather have an enclosed trailer, although there are pros and cons to those as well.  One thing I thought I saw was the video of one of these towing looked like the rear wheels were wobbling.  If that's the case I wonder how the tires will deal as well as long term life of the trailer.

One thing to keep in mind on many trailer tires is you need to keep the speed down.  Many of them tend to get hot easily and wear, chunk, or generally shred themselves to death.  

Cary

heavy85-of course I considered alignment right off the bat.  I checked the wheel bearings myself, then I took the trailer right back to the local company that makes them.  They checked the alignment and gave me a new tire for the one that was worn so preferentially over the other three (it was on bias ply trailer tires then).  Certain it was bad alignment, I took it to a competitor's trailer shop and they said it was true too.  I'm not sure how they checked it, but I think the second shop checked it by stringing it out.  You are right, I have not checked it myself, but I sure will this Saturday.  I will also check camber.  We thought maybe it was a consequence of cheap bias ply tires, but it is doing it again with radials.

tube80z-Is the speed argument justification for changing to car tires?  Surely, I don't have to drive 50mph across the country as a Uhaul trailer is labeled?  I mean, the whole setup only weighs 4000 pounds-not really heavy enough to need high load capacity tires...     I have seen how the tires roll around on the rim when going around a corner-it is quite impressive; it is my suspicion that this is the cause of the excessive wear on the rear tires. 

Guys, the original purpose of this thread was to see if anybody was using a light-weight single axle trailer.  Seems the answer is no.  If I fail to find anything wrong with the kit I have, my plan is to just rotate the tires more frequently (like after every long tow) to avoid having one tire that is nearly worn to the cords while the other three look new.

Edited by RebekahsZ

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder why all the single-axle trailers I see are from UK, NZ or Australia. I'm saving for the tilt trailer from Brunton Automotive. I hope to look into run-flat trailer tires because I think every concern raised has been valid. Haven't found anything on it yet.

• 6 months later...

Finally spent some time on this after trashing more tires. Got to a trailer shop that had a good level concrete floor. Trailer tech says all looks good. Shop owner says its my tires and I need to buy new tires from him. I got out my Longacre camber gauge and all are less than 1-degree camber. Then I got the toe plates. Found front axle is straight. Rear axle has 3/4" toe-in. Bingo! New rear axle on order. $400-ouch. Hope this is truly the solution.

It's in the $2500 range.  This one has a 2200lb axle....they also offer a 3500lb axle.  1 man can easily lift the tongue and walk this thing around.  It's decked with solid ribbed aluminum.

This is the shortest one you can get a Z on and close the ramp....but they offer a range of sizes/options.  Google "Aluma" to learn more and where to buy.

I think it's the model 7712 on this page....

http://sale-fire.com/Aluma%20Trailers?p=gcp&gclid=CO6u1YvR7sACFQqGaQodkikA6Q

I attached a couple more pics....

post-13730-0-48150600-1411179088_thumb.jpg

post-13730-0-48317200-1411179126_thumb.jpg

post-13730-0-00047300-1411179184_thumb.jpg

Again, Keith, trailer capcity rating INCLUDES the weight of the trailer.  You are hauiling around over 4,000 lbs. on the tires and axles, not 2,500 lbs.  Please listen to us, get a dual axle trailer and stop trying the be Colin Chapman.

Two things:

1) look at the weight carrying capacity of the tires. If you have good tires...good TRAILER tired (like Load Range E or so) you have a decent single axle carrying capacity. Those tires will be $147-250 each. If one blows, I hope you have a spare. With a four axle trailer similarly constructed you can use cheaper tires...but four of them and if you blow one it's not necessarily a show stopper.

2) Colin Chapman's philosophy killed a lot of drivers. His winning streak really started once they put a 400HP Ford V8 into his miniature chassis and started breaking other things and killing a few more drivers... There is a slanted aura on his design philosophy, and people disregard the deaths precipitated by insufficient engineering margin. He designed light because he was underpowered. Once he got power, races started to be won in earnest. Never underestimate the power of power.

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up the trailer from the shop. New rear axle has zero toe (measured it myself). Will make last road trip of the season on these tires then buy a new set in the spring. If this next set of tires fares better, perhaps I can settle down and do some car work. After two years, the trailer already needs a paint job! After that, I will probably have spent enough money (and certainly enough time) to have justified buying a Featherlite.