HybridZ

A musician's therapist (The $300 Z)

17 hours ago, DuffyMahoney said:

Coil bracket is looking mint! 

It's cleaned things up considerably! Extra nice now that I got a little bracket for the Deutsch connector. It's not just dangling around behind the head.

Here's a handful of pictures after cleaning up the ride for this weekend's show.

DSCF4109.JPG

DSCF4110.JPG

DSCF4112.JPG

DSCF4113.JPG

DSCF4111.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Car show and parade was a blast. Went really well! 

Drove to Washington to visit old friends - trip went really well. Engine is working great, I'm really happy with how things are running other than some oil leaks that gunk up the underside of the car on long drives like that. When it comes time to rebuild with flat tops I want to really clean up and degrease everthing and do my best to avoid future leaks for a long time to come. 

End of the trip and the way back were slightly less successful. Looks like the bolts on my right CV axle backed out and last one stripped while on a drive with a friend. Fortunately he has a 912 and a well equipped garage. He let me use his space and stay at his house until my friend in Bellingham with a Z got back from Vancouver the next day who was nice enough to let me borrow his CV to get on the road while he waited for the new one I bought him.

Unfortunately... the kindness didn't stop more things from slowing down the trip home. Almost exactly halfway near La Grande OR my front right wheel bearing seems to have seized up and started cooking things. Seemed okay at first thought something from the road made a belt squeak at first or something, then things got progressively worse until eventually my brake rotor was rubbing against the caliper. Tried hard to somehow get it fixed, but no one would touch it and I didn't have everything I needed to get it back on the road, so I rented a UHAUL to finish the trip instead of paying for hotels and rush shipping

20240716_143958.jpg.85cfb10ca55f4c7cacd38f150de1b34d.jpg

New parts are on the way. I suspect the wheel bearing was overtightened or the hub was already not quite in good shape when I first replaced the bearings and eventually those small changes in acceptable tolerances from all the miles I've driven caught up with it. The outer bearing race had partially friction welded itself to the spindle. This would have been my third round trip to washington, plus the pacific coast trip, plus any other miles you want to add from cruising around as often as I can when the weather is nice.

20240717_231855.jpg.4bf372aaeb4b270bc6a83423d081a04f.jpg20240718_104916.jpg.b13876651f80ba408423e6e322cb4dce.jpg20240718_105017.jpg.8894e412925426076ee2cba3c79efb0e.jpg20240719_132241.jpg.e87f628a11f8c097709327a5d5195bd8.jpg

Here's to 50 more years out of the new hubs and spindles. 

Edited by Zetsaz