HybridZ

nissan v-6 swap

I'm thinking of swapping my L24 out for more power. The GM LSx seem to be really popular but are a lot of work.

I'm wondering if anyone here knows about late model Nissan V-6.Will these engines mate to my 5 speed trannny? If so I only have to worry about the engine and everything past the tranny (drive shaft, rear, half shafts etc) will work.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks, Frank.

I don't think the V6 will be easier than the LSx. It's practically bolt in at this point. And from what I know, the VQ engines are NOT a simple swap, VG engines I'm guessing are easier, but I don't know much about that swap.

Edited by rturbo 930

I searched vg vq swap but got nothing .

The reason I thought this might be easier than the LS swap is all the mods that seem necessary for the ls.

DRive line, rear end, half shafts and different oil pans, headers and just a lot of things that would disappear if the later Nissan v-6 will mate with my 78 280Z trans.

I want more power but don't need 400hp.

I appreciate the feedback.

Thanks.

What do you think about an L28et? If you want a little more power, but don't want to have to deal with upgrading the brakes, rear end, etc, etc, I think an L28et or a modified N/A L28 would be a good choice. What kind of power are you looking for? And your budget?

I have almost finished with a cosmetic restore. I've owned this 240Z for 42 years.

It's looking good but is SLOW. I've thought about an L28 and checked Rebello. Great power but lots of $$$.

The shop that helped with some of the restore really want to do a Chevy LS swap. The budget would be around $10,000.

The car would be a screamer...no doubt but I wonder if it will still "feel" like my 240Z. I had an experience back in the late 70's with a friend that put a 327 Chevy into a BMW 3. coupe. It was fast but no longer a BMW. It felt like it was going to fly apart everytime you got on i.

To answer you let me say I'm still fishing. The appeal of the smaller high reving v-6 is greast. The Chevy seems like a lot of info. Bones (the shop) has had a lot of experience swapping LS motors into other cars (An AMC pacer was the strangest) but he is not as familiar with the Z.

If (and it is a big if) a later Nissan V-6 will bolt up to my tranny well that wold save me a lot of work.

I really appreciate your feedback thanks a lot.

I'm adding a photo .

post-25835-0-03160000-1402182580_thumb.jpg

The trans will not directly mate to a later Nissan V6.

I would look into the L28E or a turbo L-series swap, doesn't HAVE to be an L28ET specifically. You could turbocharge your current L24, if you wish.

FWIW, I'm running an Turbo L28 in my 240Z, it's an N/A L28 that came with the car, I added the turbo and EFI after I got it. I ran it for a while with the stock R180 and universal axles, without a problem. I had performed the Toyota front brake and 280ZX rear disc swap before I started driving my car, but I'm sure the stock brakes would have been fine for daily driving and the occasional spirited romp. I have since swapped to an R200 and CV axles. I have also swapped to different brakes since then, only because I wanted to, not because I needed to. I do like when the entire package is upgraded though to reflect the ability to whoa that added go. 

I'll be swapping to a late model V6 (not a Nissan though), but I'm going to keep the Nissan trans, since it's so much better than the T5 that will bolt to my engine of choice. I will be doing this one of two ways, either an adapter plate (most likely) or a custom bellhousing (also a strong possibility). I only mention this as it may not be something you thought of, using adapters I mean to mate an engine and trans that were not meant to ever go together.

However, it is usually easier to have a custom driveshaft made to use a different drivetrain that what is original. So if you use the matching trans to the engine you wish to use, a custom driveshaft could then be made to retain the stock rear end.

Yes these threads are good indeed...I just didn't find them.

Thanks to you for that. In addition it didn't take long to realize that swapping these engines into my 240 will be a MAJOR  pain in the ass.

I was expecting some compatibility but there isn't much.

I guess I'll look harder at the LSA options. I was trying to avoid the drive line mods that seem to be necessary with the v-8.

Thanks for all the help.

Frank.

Again, the L28ET is not suitable why?

Plenty of 300-350HP L28ET's out there, no driveline modifications...

I've had mine in there since 1985 and well over 40,000 miles using it as a daily driver for quite some time.

Edited by Tony D

The L28 is suitable but when I checked with Rebello a rebuilt L28 worked  and around 250hp was $6000.00. A lot of money.

I'm still open and in no hurry but I will look further   into the LS option.

Thanks to all for the feedback!

The L28 is suitable but when I checked with Rebello a rebuilt L28 worked  and around 250hp was $6000.00. A lot of money.

I'm still open and in no hurry but I will look further   into the LS option.

Thanks to all for the feedback!

It seems that you're somewhat undermining everyones recommendation of the l28ET or turbo'd l28.    The Rebello version you're referring to is likely NA.   As stated before, 300-350HP is somewhat easily attainable with a turbocharged L-series and is still distinctly Nissan and I feel keeps the nature of your 240z as it is but with more power, more torque, and a whole lot more fun.

It's a fantastic street engine even in relatively stock form.  I have a mostly stock engine with supporting modifications in my 73 (front mount, ARP studs, 300zx maf/ecu etc etc...)  MAYBE making 210whp 240tq and I honestly don't feel the need for more power, although i'm modest in building my cars and I appreciate balance more than outright power.   It sounds great, spools fast, the mid range is amazing for around town with boost the displacement is plenty for down low.

Another thing.... you can talk to everyone you want and get 50 different opinions, but none of them will do justice, you need to go drive/ ride in an s30 with which ever engine you're thinking about and let your gut decide (pun intended). 

Hope that helps...

Thanks for the feed  back SD. Good advice !

I'm still considering an L28, especially if I can find a turbo.

The local shop is really high on ls engines but the labor to install would be much less with an L28 even a turbo.

So I'm still looking and saving.

I'm not in a hurry.

The LSx swap is a great swap if you want lots of power, torque, and good fuel economy from a modern power plant. For you, I think the LSx would be a mistake. You've stated that you want to use the stock 5spd, and don't want to mess with upgrading the driveline, brakes, etc. which IMO rules out the LSx swap. And from the sounds of it, your budget is limited, and you aren't doing the work yourself, which would rule out something like an F20c from a Honda S2000 which would be a great motor for you, but it requires some custom fabrication which means $$$. An NA L28 would meet your needs, but I think the L28ET might be your best option... depending on what your budget is (under $5000?), and what your power goals are. 250hp or less, I'd stay with an NA L28, more than that, an L28ET for sure.

VG30E/33E (not DE) will bolt up to the 71c (Nissan 300ZX trans), which can use the the same crossmember/mounts as the 71b (280Z trans). So, you can use the stock driveshaft and stuff.

Not worth it. VG (and maybe VQ) will require custom exhaust manifolds, relocating the turbo, etc.

Edited by BLOZ UP