HybridZ

Where are the weak links @ 500+hp ?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I realize this is a loaded question but what are some of the things you can expect to go ? Rear axles ? Drivelines ? what else ? being this is in a L28et maybe what Rods ? what else ?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

500 HP in a L6... if you are a heavy smoker, the lighter does not last long . I would say all parts in the engine,tranny drivetrain to the lug studs for the rear wheels.

Guest Anonymous

yeah kinda thought so. **** i need 500hp its my goal. I know i can get there with Rb26dett but thought maybe i could squeeze it out of an L28. Gotta be NISSAN !

Guest Anonymous

yeah i was leaning more toward the 2.8 becuase i like the faster higher revs. Definitely a turbo. Like a full T4 on SDS. just dont know if stock rods and **** will hold, doubt it. anyway all info appreciated ! Oh i just watched a video with a 7 second L28et ! anyway thanx !

Guest empracing

the rods in a rb30et are good to 500hp but only just ide say the rods in a l series would cry enuff after 400 or so eventually it depends how often you load em up

Originally posted by LT_ZT:

yeah i was leaning more toward the 2.8 becuase i like the faster higher revs.

Gotta comment on this (AGAIN). Theoretically, an L28 will have the same peak piston acceleration as an L31 with the L28 spinning 2.85% faster. So if piston acceleration is what limits redline rpm, the L28 would have a 2.85% higher redline. BUT, the L31 has 12.5% more displacement, so the L28 wouldn't spin fast enough to make more power, and it would have ~12.5% less torque everywhere, and best-case would have ~9% less peak power. And that assumes custom pistons that have the same strength. Stock, Nissan gave both the L28 and KA24E engines a 6500 rpm redline, though the KA24E has a much longer stroke (96mm vs. 79mm). Basing L31 redline on KA24E peak piston acceleration at 6500 rpm gives a 7130rpm redline, higher than the L28. No question which would rev up faster (L31). Even with a turbo, displacement is your FRIEND. If you want to maximize hp, you want to maximize displacement. The idea that strokers rev up more slowly is a myth, and any loss in maximum rpm is generally MORE than offset by the increase in displacement.

If I were trying to make 500hp with an L-series engine, the first thing I'd do is maximize displacement.

Whatever you do, keep us posted!

Several things you will want to do for sure... Better rods... Shotpeen them at least, and I'd look at maybe getting them cryo-treated. I'd check with ARP for rod bolts, main bolts, head bolts... I'd look for a better Harmonic damper, as the stock unit will delaminate. Obviously go with forged or treated pistons, and if you can swing it, forged rods would be a better way to go than race prepped stock rods. Have your crank gone through, knife edged, the works... You want to make sure the bottom end is gonna be bullet proof. My guess is you will have better part of $4000-5000 in a properly done shortblock for that kind of Goal... Now that is high, but it is 100% the way to go for reliability reasons...

Good Luck...

Mike

Check out what I have done with my turbo application. I went 3.0 and not 3.1 because of block considerations. Custom rods, pistons, ARP head/main studs. p90 head, big turbo, intercooler, to name a few.

The dampener went out to lunch, but a custom unit is being built by BHJ, tranny, well thereis a weak link to run that kind of power. CV type half shafts are required, LSD is a very good idea, and a Quaife is the best.

Good fuel management a must.

I have dyno results you can check out. http://www.angelfire.com/extreme/280zxt

have fun and you will spend lots of money to get you there.

at 500 hp...you'll have to convert to Z31T stubs and cv to handle the power =) not to mention 4 pistons all around huge tires ...

trust me you want to go L31ET ...instead of putting a skyline engine in, im doin the L31ET setup myself =)

Come on, my Z puts atleast 475@wheels and I have an automatic. I have raceprepped 240Z 9mm rods. Nitride hardened crank and JE forged pistons. The stock rods prepped will survive 600hp in road race apps, so drag race stuff is much shorter duration runs. CV's are a must and larger driveshaft. You are on your own when it comes the tranny.

twinturbos and 100shot nitrous!

actually a cryo treated nissan competition ZX 3.90 5 speed w/ spec clutch and light flywheel would MAYBE hold it w/o needin to be replaced all the time....but whynot just make 420hp/470ft lbs & keep the stock tranny and be happy with that?

Here's what you need for an L31ET

LD28 Crank

F54 Block

P90 head (not P90A)

Weisco forged 89mm pistons (same specs as KA24 but .019" taken off the top)

73 race prepped rods

280ZX FI manifold

JWT Z31 FI upgrade

turbo of your choice

610cc injectors

225lph fuelpump

boost controller

enjoy.