HybridZ
Sign in to follow this  
lovemstr

frame rails

People have completely cut out the entire front section of the car.

If you're cutting a structural member, just remember to reinforce it somewhere else. Having a weak frame with stress concentration points in it isn't a good idea, but you can overcome these.

sorry, allow me to elucidate further. I have bought an all aluminum radiator. it is 26 in. wide, which is too wide for comfort between the frame rails. I'm thinking I will notch the frame rails directly behind the rad. cradle and box in the notch with 1/8 in plate also reinforce the bottom and outside of the frame rail with 1/8 in. plate. does that sound feasible? any suggestions welcomed. thanks

Yes, completely feasible.  And quite honestly, I think 1/8" would be overkill.  IIRC, the entire shell is produced mostly with 16 and 18 gauge sheet (someone please chime in if I'm misstating).  

For pictures of the mods described by Neverdone, check out Jon Mortensen's build.  Several people have built tube front ends, but Jon's car is the only one that comes to mind at the moment.  Folks have done all kinds of front end and frame mods to relocate the radiator and accommodate larger radiators, intercoolers, etc.