HybridZ

Long time, No SEZ - (Old Timers SEZ Shootout Roll Call) - just for kicks

Warren

Just kinda playing around here, but it's been WAY too long since I've posted anything, and over 10 years since the last SEZ Shootout at Silver Dollar Raceway in Reynolds, GA, I thought we should do a roll call to see who is still around.    

If you've EVER attended any of the  SEZ Shootouts at Silver Dollar Raceway, that were held in the past, chime in with your username, where you drove from, and what car you were running at the event.  If you can remember any details of which years event(s) it was, post those too.

This ought to be fun, nostalgic and a little sad, all at the same time.

I'll Start.

Warren, Marietta, GA, 82 280ZX Turbo, several years

Edited by Warren

• Warren changed the title to Long time, No SEZ - (Old Timers SEZ Shootout Roll Call) - just for kicks

I'm still here. I check in every morning to read the 3 or 4 new posts and then lament the death of forums like this. Facebook made a big dent but also the price of the cars has made the perfect combo of too expensive for the initial buy in and the "should I really be cutting into this series 1 to put in this V10". 

MONZTER's return and posts is the most enjoyable HybridZ reading I've had in a while.

• 3 weeks later...

I periodically check in to see what's up.  I agree with Derek about the death of forums like Hybridz.  This place has/had a wealth of knowledge and incredibly helpful members.

Sold my Z a few years back and recently entered the P-car world.

20221210_102404 reduced.jpg

Edited by ktm

I pop in every now and again. No Z right now but Im building a 1984 maxima Wagon that Ive turbo'ed.

I made it to one.  Wasn't it called DNI at one point.  I was in my 1974 260Z with a l28et swap. I was driving from Daytona beach.   I think I had blown up my engine the week before or weeks before. Did a mad rush to get it done.  I was planning on getting a hotel the night before but ran into issues getting the car running. Turned out that my friend stabbed my distributor wrong and my cas was way wrong etc.  Finally figured it out late at night. Probably around 12am or so.  buttoned it up and headed North. Made it just in time for the meet and great at the hotel.  Gabe Wigen was there, Rick(speedy) was there. The red RB26 z was there. soilous??  I had "upgraded my turbo to a used HX30 holset which didnt work out.  I entered the drag race comp they had.  I had never been down a drag strip before then.  I won the whole event...... Because every person I raced red lighted.....  Last run of the day my turbo blew up and the impeller was seizing up by hitting the housing.  I drove home with it that way and about half way home it self clearanced itself and it started making boost again.  My prize money is what bought me my He351cw turbo and intercooler and injectors. Fun times. 

• 4 weeks later...

Not a participant myself, but I remember announcements for such events... and the era when "hybrid" meant engine from Brand A, into body of Brand B... having nothing to do with electric and internal combustion motors together in one vehicle. 

The competitive events, together with forums, seem to have been sadly vitiated.  Most postings on this forum are now the occasional pop-up of elementary questions, that had been rigorously answered 20 years ago... or idle reminiscences, such as my own.  And so many of the most senior/venerable/knowledgeable members have left, outright died, or just gone silent.  What happened over the past 23 years?  Well, some of us are still working on the same car that we had back in the 20th century... slowly.  May one day even race it!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I haven't been here in a quite a while, though I have been on Hybridz since the late 90's.  I did a small stint with Porsches. (Daily drove a 944 and put 140K in three years up here in the Great White North!)  Went back to Z's with a very low mileage 280zxt.  I got tired of worrying about putting on mileage on it, so I sold it and bought a 370z touring.  I've been mildly modding it over the last year.  No more crazy turbo swaps into S30 series for me.  I did move again and got myself a large detached 2 car garage that I have been upgrading it over the last few years with insulation, heat, lighting, flooring, tv and stereo (obviously lol).  No more working on a gravel driveway for me!  I actually enjoy having friends come over and wrenching on their cars for fun!  I may be doing milder stuff these days, but I still have my hand in custom fabrication and porting/polishing, and generally working on stuff that improves general VE of engines, weight savings and parasitic losses.  Stuff I can do on my own without resorting to expensive "bolt on's"

DSC01902new.JPG

• Like 1

I still check in once in a while and still work on my cars all the time, but it bumms me out that its so quiet around here anymore.  Im not a social media guy or have time to produce youtube videos for self promothion, so I just quietly enjoy my projects and keep busy.  Seems all the forums for cars and motorcycles I use to participate in are pretty quiet.  Times change, but not all of us follow along.

Thanks for all the help along the way

• Like 1

I realized I wasn’t keeping up with my threads . When I worked in the RR I would get stuck in hotels and had lots of time to post and desk wrench . Then I retired and went bonkers working on Z’s to support my habit . 3 years later and my back is broken and I just keep busy on my stuff .FB was okay but I do miss these forums . I especially miss the great talent here , but I am always referring people to this site for real info and not a social media opinion . 

Funny thing is I bought a 720 and started posting on Ratsun because that was about the only site for these trucks . Today I looked and my thread has 40k views - who would have thought . The guys there have been very helpful and I try and ignore the threads that are political in nature . 
This site has been the most helpful for me with my z . 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, madkaw said:

but I am always referring people to this site for real info and not a social media opinion

I really wish things would swing back towards the forums. I can't tell you how many times I know the answer to or could add to a post on FB but I don't since it really has no longevity. I always felt like I was adding to the overall knowledge base when I posted here.  I can go on and on but I really hate it.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Derek said:

I really wish things would swing back towards the forums. I can't tell you how many times I know the answer to or could add to a post on FB but I don't since it really has no longevity. I always felt like I was adding to the overall knowledge base when I posted here.  I can go on and on but I really hate it.

100% agree, facebook sucks

• Like 1